OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bests Rings & Mount for the value

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KACHME33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bests Rings & Mount for the value
    Posted: November/09/2009 at 14:44
I just got a Weatherby Vanguard .270 & bought a Sightron S1 3x-9x 40mm based on reviews.  I am now looking to find the best value for a mount and rings.  I also don't even know which ones will fit my gun and scope.  I am not trying to spend an arm and a leg, but I am not going to throw a piece of junk on there either.  I have absolutely no experience in rings and mounts so I thought that I would ask the experts. 

Thanks in advance,
Mike
TexSands View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexSands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 16:58
I purchased some Talley Lightweights after advice from the folks here and have been very happy with them.  http://swfa.com/Weatherby-C2571.aspx
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 17:00
[QUOTE=TexSands]I purchased some Talley Lightweights after advice from the folks here and have been very happy with them.  http://swfa.com/Weatherby-C2571.aspx[/QUOTE]

Excellent recommendation.  
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 17:12
Great suggestion!  You'd be very hard-pressed to find better mounts for the price than the Talley Lightweights, and the ring saddles are integral to the bases, so they are also very durable.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 18:19
 Just be aware that that would be considered a permanent installation, not easily removable without complete disassembly, if that matters to you.  On a hunting rifle it shouldn't really matter unless you want to take a back-up scope along on an out-of-state hunt, etc.

edited for a spelling error.

Edited by RONK - November/09/2009 at 18:20
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 20:53
In my experience the ugly old Weaver mounts are the most for the money.

That isn't to say the Talley Lightweights aren't great, but it is still hard to beat "Old Uglies."

Edited by John Barsness - November/09/2009 at 20:53
KACHME33 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KACHME33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 12:40
Thanks for all of the responses.  I went ahead and bought some Talley Lighweights.  I will let you know how they do for me after I put them on.

Thanks,
Mike
KACHME33 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KACHME33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 12:42
One more question... What is the main difference between the low and medium????
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 12:54
  Main diff is the height of the scope off the bbl.  Higher with mediums.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
KACHME33 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KACHME33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 13:06
What is more common/preferred?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 13:15
The lower the better
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 13:54
  MORE often than not. But in some situations,due to stock design,the shooters face structure,or a combination of the two,a higher set-up will give you a better view through the scope and consistant cheek position on the stock.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 19:16
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

That isn't to say the Talley Lightweights aren't great, but it is still hard to beat "Old Uglies."

There aren't too many here who seem to like them.
I've recomended them in the past on this forum and got pounded for it!

"Cheap", "Junk" "Flimsy" ETC..

I think they work just fine. Light in weight and a lot stronger than they look too, and very reasonable in price.
  I don't like the way they tend to roll the tube as you tighten the top strap down, but that's a one-time annoyance, easily corrected with a couple attempts!

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 06:09
  Got'em on my K2.5 and K4 Weavers.  Just seem proper for old scopes and they do hold good.  Besides,they offered the lowest mounting for the K4 on my Husqvarna.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 09:10
the weaver quad rings are a great buy also.
IBGOOSE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBGOOSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 01:53
any reccomendations for a 6x24x50 Rings need the high ones I believe it for a Dpms 308 need to get the front can off the rail
     So need some help deciding Whacko
IBGOOSE Lead Follow or get out of the way
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2009 at 07:01
I would wait for the Gen II SS AR Mount coming mid January to Feb. Hopefully.  It will be very similar to the Burris PERP but the SS brand with the extras and quality you can expect from Chris and the folks at SWFA. 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 16:15
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

There aren't too many here who seem to like them.
I've recomended them in the past on this forum and got pounded for it!

"Cheap", "Junk" "Flimsy" ETC..

I think they work just fine. Light in weight and a lot stronger than they look too, and very reasonable in price.
  I don't like the way they tend to roll the tube as you tighten the top strap down, but that's a one-time annoyance, easily corrected with a couple attempts!

Since this post is still alive...............I have recommended them too. They are still on many of my guns. I have used them on .22's up through .375H&H and they just plain work. They remove easily and do a reasonable job of returning to zero. They are definitely not junk. They are also cost effective and ugly.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2009 at 23:59
I use quite a few Weaver rings.  I have generally standardized on Weaver/Picatinny mounts on all of my rifles, and cheap Weaver rings usually work fine.  One exception that I make is for Weaver Grand Slam rings.  I have not had good luck with them.  I have a pair now that is so oversized, that one of the rings can not clamp down on the scope tube.  Another pair was so badly machined that there were major burs on the inside surface of the rings.  I had to do some major lapping there.  Oddly enough, I have about half dozen of the cheaper Weaver Top Mount rings and have not had any problems with them whatsoever.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic