OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My Experience--Rainguard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Experience--Rainguard
    Posted: November/09/2009 at 13:28
Having just come back from a successful Elk hunt using a 3-9x40 4200 Elite with rainguard I'd like to share my findings: It rained, snowed or both together my complete hunt and since my storm caps didn't fit right, I got a first hand test of Rainguard! It worked for me, the sight picture looked overcast when it was really wet but you could still shoot if you needed. Was it a perfect picture? No, but you could still see the target well enough so as not to lose an opportunity. To completely clear it up, I would just dab a little tissue on the front lens without rubbing and I was good to go. No this wasn't good enough to win any prizes in a scope test, but this is real life - down and dirty you get in the field. 

My Butler Creek flip up covers made the scope too far away from my eye on the back cover (moving the scope back would have helped, but wasn't an option) and the front made so much noise opening it , I didn't use it! I thought the front covers used to flip up the same as the rear, not so with this one!
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 17:06

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Rainguard is good stuff by all accounts I've read.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 17:08
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Rainguard is good stuff by all accounts I've read.

Thunbs Up
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 22:13
thanks for the personal account .. I like the rainguard feature also
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 09:30
It worked for me on a down pour opening day.The flip up covers have spooked deer on me during a light snow fall.The Elite series has been very good to me on all my hunt
green-grizzly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green-grizzly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 13:24
I remember that I used to have all kinds of problems with fogged or wet optics during late season elk hunts.  I have not had a single problem like that since I got my 4200.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 18:54
  It's GOOD for viewers to read these accounts!

THANKS for sharing,guys.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 19:40
Great review Sandracer.  Nice to see real world accounts of these things.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 22:00
Thunbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic