OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS on .17 hmr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GillJr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS on .17 hmr
    Posted: November/09/2009 at 07:46
I have increased the budget for a scope.  It'll be going on my 17vss.  I have been looking around.  I think a SWFA SS 10x42 or maybe the 16x42.  Only thing ill be doing the punching paper mostly from 100yds to maybe close to 300yds.

I hope hope this will be a good combination?Big Smile
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 10:11
If its daylight use not low light use and not hunting use I'd probably put the 20x on it.  The difference between the 10 and the 20 is significant in low light the 10 is much brighter but if this is a range queen used in bright daylight do yourself a favor and add more power to see the holes in the target. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
spinner08 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 12:43
I put a SS 10X42 on my 300 win mag and I have been very pleased every since I got it.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 12:54
If you think the regular SS 10x is cool the new HD version is absolutely incredible.  The 16x is the only one that I have not bought and all seem to be an outstanding value.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 13:49
I think the SS would be great for a paper punching .17.  My personal choice would be 10x or 16x at the most.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
GillJr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GillJr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 18:57
Is the reticle pretty thin?  I have a old swift on her now.  At 150yds the reticle covers up a 3in x 3in area.
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 20:48
Originally posted by GillJr GillJr wrote:

Is the reticle pretty thin?  I have a old swift on her now.  At 150yds the reticle covers up a 3in x 3in area.
I have the 10HD SS. I can shoot at a 1" orange dot at 100 yrds and not cover up the dot. If this helps you any.
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 21:54

I have the exact same rifle i went with the 6x and target paper plates  after about 5 shots you can see the hole at 150yrds.  After 2 mags you can see an even larger hole and after 4 mags well you get the idea...  I have also used the red and green varmint targets or the watermellon colored ones at w-mart, squirrels, dogs, racoons, etc and the same effect after usually 5 shots you get to see what you are hitting vs. what you are aiming at.  I have also tinkered with a tasco varmint model scope with mil-dot type reticle http://swfa.com/Tasco-25-10x42-Target-Varmint-Riflescope-P8719.aspx never really needed any more performance and was able to spend more money on ammo.  I would put his with the above mentioned rifle and good ammo against any scope in any environ./condition...shooters up.

No one
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 22:08
The above mentioned 6x started as an old Hensoldt Wetzlar Dural Dialytan and more recently turned into a http://swfa.com/Leupold-6x42-FX-3-Competition-Hunter-Riflescope-P12754.aspx but could go back to a Hensoldt German style / middle post not touching side posts vs reticle #4/#7 newer versions...  I guess I am almost preferring to see the target above the post of the Hensoldt kinda keeping my eye drawn to the body of the varmint I am aiming at...
No one
spinner08 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 12:52
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

If you think the regular SS 10x is cool the new HD version is absolutely incredible.  The 16x is the only one that I have not bought and all seem to be an outstanding value.

I was thinking about getting the HD scope but I didnt have enough extra money to get it but I have heard good things about it 
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 14:18
You can't go wrong with the SS 10X or 16X at that range... I use them both.  Good Luck!

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
GillJr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GillJr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 14:46
Can you put flip covers (bc) on the SS?
As I walk through the valley of the Shadow Of Death, I have no fear because I am the meanest mother ****er in the whole valley" - Gen. George S. Patton
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 14:53

Yes
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
GillJr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GillJr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 19:11

Without the rear focus moving the flip covers to far?
As I walk through the valley of the Shadow Of Death, I have no fear because I am the meanest mother ****er in the whole valley" - Gen. George S. Patton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic