OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What beats Nikon Monarch for the money?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green-grizzly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What beats Nikon Monarch for the money?
    Posted: November/09/2009 at 00:49
I am looking for a high power variable scope for my AR-15, which is used primarily in target shooting and varmint hunting.  I have a lot of experience with Bushnell 4200s, and I have read that the Nikon Monarch is in the same league optically.  The Nikons seem to be a bit cheaper, and I was thining of getting the 4-16x42 or x50.  Would I be satisfied with the optics if I am accustomed to the 4200s?  Is there another scope line that would have better bang for the buck?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 02:53
I liked mine. Here it is setup on my Bravo Co. Middy.
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 03:40
Ya. I have both and the only thing leading me more to liking the bushnell is the rainguard. I have a hunting rig that carries a bushnell legend, it seems to me that it fogs up just as much in rainy weather than the monarch. I just found out recently that the legend also has the rainguard feature because it also easily fogs up when it rains and i bring the scope near my body or body heat or when i take it out of my cold airconditioned cabin of my truck to the hot and humid tropical weather. Now i am not sure that the rain guard elite has an  advantage over the non rain guard monarch. The elite is on my bench rig that's why i don't bring it out that much.
I have to admit though that despite easily fogging up, the legend seems to clear out a bit faster than the monarch when cleaning.

Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 08:07
I don't believe my Legend has the raingaurd.I would choose the 4200 Elite over the Monarch because it can take more abuse in the field.The Raingaurd is a plus.The Nikon is a good scope but my experience from just going on hunting trips with ATV's they are fragile.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 11:45
Originally posted by FunShot FunShot wrote:

Ya. I have both and the only thing leading me more to liking the bushnell is the rainguard. I have a hunting rig that carries a bushnell legend, it seems to me that it fogs up just as much in rainy weather than the monarch. I just found out recently that the legend also has the rainguard feature because it also easily fogs up when it rains and i bring the scope near my body or body heat or when i take it out of my cold airconditioned cabin of my truck to the hot and humid tropical weather. Now i am not sure that the rain guard elite has an  advantage over the non rain guard monarch.

I may be mistaken, but I believe Rainguard is a very recent addition to the Legend series.  Prior to this year, I don't recall Rainguard being mentioned as a feature of any Bushnell scopes other than the Elite series.  Unless you bought your Legend scope recently, It may not have the Rainguard coating.

To the OP's original question, it's hard to beat the Monarch (or Bushnell Elite) for the money.  Some say the Vortex Viper and Sightron SII & SII Big Sky are in the same "most bang for the buck" category as those two scopes, but I don't have any experiece with those scopes to comment one way or the other. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 12:37
Well I'm going to lead you the other direction $$$and suggest you get a illuminated Trijicon or a Zeiss Conquest with the Rapid Z reticle or a Super Sniper Variable all of which have features that make them far more useful. 
Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR232G
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
$1,019.95

Add Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart
Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope Rapid Z 800 Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5214919972
  • Matte
  • Rapid Z 800
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Hunting Turrets
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$924.95

Add Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope to Cart
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95
n
Add SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/09/2009 at 12:39

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 18:42
I own an elite 6500,nikon monarch gold,& 3 zeiss conquest.Just my opinon hands down the Zeiss!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 20:14
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by FunShot FunShot wrote:

Ya. I have both and the only thing leading me more to liking the bushnell is the rainguard. I have a hunting rig that carries a bushnell legend, it seems to me that it fogs up just as much in rainy weather than the monarch. I just found out recently that the legend also has the rainguard feature because it also easily fogs up when it rains and i bring the scope near my body or body heat or when i take it out of my cold airconditioned cabin of my truck to the hot and humid tropical weather. Now i am not sure that the rain guard elite has an  advantage over the non rain guard monarch.

I may be mistaken, but I believe Rainguard is a very recent addition to the Legend series.  Prior to this year, I don't recall Rainguard being mentioned as a feature of any Bushnell scopes other than the Elite series.  Unless you bought your Legend scope recently, It may not have the Rainguard coating.

To the OP's original question, it's hard to beat the Monarch (or Bushnell Elite) for the money.  Some say the Vortex Viper and Sightron SII & SII Big Sky are in the same "most bang for the buck" category as those two scopes, but I don't have any experiece with those scopes to comment one way or the other. 
It's an old Phil legend. With your statement i believe that the legend i own indeed has no rainguard. I just tried the aircondition cabin to hot humid climate crude test on my elite. It still fogs up just as easily but it does clear up faster and with little effort from cleaning or just by letting it kinda thaw as compared to both the nikon monarch and legend. As for rugability of the nikon, mine has been able to hold up on rugged conditions as well as a friend who dropped his gun rig and no change in POI. However, knowing how many substandard and reject nikon monarchs have made it out of the phil kenko plant to be sold as new prior to jan 2009, i would not be surprised if more than a couple of people get defective monarch scopes.Shocked
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 21:09
I dont believe RAINGAURD prevents fogging, what it does is allows one to see fairly well through a lens that is fogged opposed to a regular fogged lens that wont allow one to see at all.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 21:15
rainguard wont fog easily lets just say that. when i hunt its usually below 32 degrees. i sit on a ladder stand and usually put my rifle under my hand warming muff. i also place a "body sized" heat factory warming packet in side. the body sized ones are like having 4 of the hand sized ones. needless to say it gets pretty hot and with the scope under the muff it gets hot too. after being under that muff for about an hour, ( im guessing it was 100 degrees) it got warm. i then took the scope out of there and looked through it, it fogged for about the count of 2 and was clear. ive never had it fog under any other conditions though. i was hunting with my monarch yesterday and it was raining, i wished i had my 4200 with me yesterday. 
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic