OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Value of an old, unfired 700

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Value of an old, unfired 700
    Posted: November/08/2009 at 21:46
Guys I'm stumped.
 I am usually good at evaluating firearms so that buyer and seller are equally happy.
I found a 1965 production Remington 700 BDL Deluxe chambered in 30-06 that was part of an estate, and has never been fired. Safe queen is an understatement.Anyway, the guy who now owns it wants $600.
 Since I do not normally collect Remingtons, I don't know what to think. I am sure it is worth this amount, but I am unsure if, at this price, it is an investment that will appreciate much more than that in say the next 5 years. 
Just curious if it would be worth any more to a Remington collector.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 07:49
IMO it's worth the 600.  Back in the day Remmy used to advertise a "honed action".  They are EXTREMELY smooth compared to modern production 700's.  I'm not sure they'll climb in price much since old collectible guns in general have taken a hit the last couple of years.  It seems like everyone decided they needed AR's and SKS's and the vintage gun market is relatively stagnant right now.  Prices have been steady for 5 years on most old Winchesters. 

That gun is worth $600 IMO but I don't think prices will ever shoot up on 700's like pre 64 model 70's.  I'd certainly not buy it for financial gain.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 17:01
I agree with the Horse on this, I just don't see it's value shooting up any Time soon. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 17:10
 The bolt locks up when the safety's on "SAFE" on this one, doesn't it?
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 18:27
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

The bolt locks up when the safety's on "SAFE" on this one, doesn't it?

Yep.  Another good thing.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 18:39
I wouldnt buy it for an investment but if you need it for a hunting gun it might be a nice rifle to own, still for the same money or less you can have a stainless tikka in your choice of caliber and a 1 inch guarantee.   At $600.  I'd pass at $500 I'd consider it, at $400 Id buy it,

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 19:50
+1   Being unfired is great, but I wouldn't pay 600.00 unless It was something I wanted in particular. In another 20 or 30 yrs it may fetch a good price as unfired, but who knows if it will even be legal to own by then.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 20:51
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

+1   Being unfired is great, but I wouldn't pay 600.00 unless It was something I wanted in particular. In another 20 or 30 yrs it may fetch a good price as unfired, but who knows if it will even be legal to own by then.

Come on have a little more faith than that. Things won't be like they are now forever (at least I hope they will be better and not worse)
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 21:32
Thanks for the replies. As I said, I don't collect Rem's , so I needed a little help here. I think I will pass on this one.
 Going to a show in Mobile on the 21st. Going to check out some more Lugers, and a couple Garands.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 10:01
Garand = more fun.
Reaction time is a factor...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 19:28
garands are like ar's, in the words of cheaptrick they are money pits.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 19:47
 Well, not really in the same way, Hunter. 
Once you get a Garand, it's pretty well complete and ready to run. The thing with ARs is that you can keep bolting stuff on it until it's too heavy to carry!

Have both; love each one. (Neither one knows about the other, though!)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 19:50
problem is that when you buy a garand you dont stop buying more of them.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 20:36
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

problem is that when you buy a garand you dont stop buying more of them.

True, I already have an H&R, and a Springfield (correct). Just on the lookout for another good deal, or something correct.
I have found that Lugers are the same way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic