OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS variable powers in the future?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ba_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS variable powers in the future?
    Posted: November/08/2009 at 09:17

What higher power ranges like 8-42 or 12-42x are planned, if any, for the variable now?  And when? Thanks.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2009 at 10:05
 Nobody seems to be aware of any plans to bring in any new SS variables anytime in probably the next couple years, if ever.
 I do know that the magnification ranges you are talking about aren't even being considered. No way-not gonna happen.
 Anything new will probably be in the 4-16x range, (perhaps 18 or 20x on the high end) simply because that's where the bulk of the demand will be, by far.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2009 at 11:54
WOW, a 12-42x.  Just mount your spotter on your gun.  Wink
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2009 at 11:55
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Nobody seems to be aware of any plans to bring in any new SS variables anytime in probably the next couple years, if ever.
 I do know that the magnification ranges you are talking about aren't even being considered. No way-not gonna happen.
 Anything new will probably be in the 4-16x range, (perhaps 18 or 20x on the high end) simply because that's where the bulk of the demand will be, by far.

I concur with Ron. Big Grin 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2009 at 14:19
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
ba_50 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ba_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 05:08
The lower end mag scopes might be all the  military and police snipers want or need, but I happen to believe the higher end variable magnification scopes are the future, especially for hunting varmints, big game or target shooting.  Hunting uses the same skills as the military and police, only the targets are different. 4X used to be the standard, but not anymore.
I think Nightforce has the right idea, but the price is just too high for most of us.

Edited by ba_50 - November/11/2009 at 13:52
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 09:18
Those scopes are designed for benchrest shooting.  Where all they do it sit it on a table and point at a target. 

It would be pretty tough to hunt with a scope with a 12x or even 8x bottom IMO.  Unless you knew for a fact all your shots were going to be long range and they animal would not be moving much.  FOV gets pretty small even at 8x, I cannot imaging trying to follow a moving animal with anything much above that let alone 42.

Then you have the issues with exit pupil and glass quality.  You would have to have the very best possible glass quality to make a scope like that really worth it.  Higher mags bring out the flaws in a scope pretty quick.  Take a look at Bushnell 4200s, the lower power scopes look amazing, but once you hit about 16x things start going down hill pretty quick. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 10:09
Originally posted by ba_50 ba_50 wrote:

The lower end mag scopes might be all the  military and police snipers want or need, but I happen to believe the higher end magnification scopes are the future, especially for hunting varmints, big game or target shooting.  Hunting uses the same skills as the military and police, only the targets are different. 4X used to be the standard, but not anymore.
I think Nightforce has the right idea, but the price is just too high for most of us.

Maybe prarie dogs other than that I disagree especially strongly with the BIG GAME. I could only imagine a coyote or even a deer of any sort popping out of the brush at 50 yards and tryin to shoot it with 8x lower end magnification. It would be gone before you could even get a sight picture. not to mention decent exit pupil with a high end magnification scope would have to have a 50+MM objective.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 10:13
I personally have shot shaving cream cans at 350 and 400 yards with the Nikon monarch 2.5-10 with a  BDC reticle. I don't think I would ever even consider shooting a deer farther than that. Just unethical in my opinion.

Edited by Chris Farris II - November/09/2009 at 10:15
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 10:14
I just got back from an elk hunt with a 3-15 scope.  I took a clean shot on the elk at 200+ yards with the scope on 3X.

In MANY situations, more magnification is a very bad thing, especially when hunting something that moves.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 12:12
Actually, I hope all other hunters will adopt 8X as the bottom end...leaving far more game in the field for guys like me. Seriously though, I'd put a 4-12 (same erector as 3-9) or 4-16 SS on a rifle any day. Higher than 4 on the low end: forget it. I rarely take my scopes off their lowest magnification while hunting. One thing I'll say, now owning the same scope RC is talking about, great glass and construction also make it easier to stay on the low end. When you can see your target with clarity, there's less temptation to dial up for a better look.
Reaction time is a factor...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 13:55
Damn that Premier is great, ain't it!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 14:20
I like the (x)-12 scopes but I've been eying a certain 3-18x50..... someday....  Sleep
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 14:41
If you get a good one, it is a good one!
ba_50 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ba_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 17:54
Chris,
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and should stick to their own personal limitations. I use a 10X for almost everything and don't feel handicapped except when shooting  from 500 to  1000 yards and then I prefer more power depending on the mirage. As far as coyotes on the run goes,  they are hard to hit with anything. In Illinois you can see one go for a long ways, so FOV isn't a big deal. Out West was great for that too. I use your SS 10X on red squirrels as close as 15' on out.

I'm guessing 80% of all ammo is shot at targets, not game, so a 8-42x is feasible.

You didn't answer my question. Do you have any plans for the higher magnification variable scopes  like you originally planned or did that go by the way side? I assume they won't be up to 42 anyhow. I've been waiting 3 or 4 years for one.

Edited by ba_50 - November/11/2009 at 14:05
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 18:16

There is no plan for a higher power optic at present. Other models may eventually be made but the demand for them need to be there  to make it a financially responsible decision.  The Leupold Competition scopes would seem to be a good choice for you if you really need more than 40x.

Leupold 45x45 Competition 30mm Riflescope 1/8min. Target Dot Leupold 45x45 Competition 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU53440
  • Matte
  • 1/8min. Target Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
$998.95 
Add Leupold 45x45 Competition 30mm Riflescope to Cart

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 18:23
Leupold 30x40 FX-3 Silhouette Riflescope 1/2min. Leupold Dot Leupold 30x40 FX-3 Silhouette Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66860
  • Matte
  • 1/2min. Leupold Dot
  • 1"
  • Target Knobs
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Free Sun Shade
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$699.95 
Add Leupold 30x40 FX-3 Silhouette Riflescope to Cart
For under $700 its  hard to beat this for value in a high power target optic especially with the recently upgraded glass.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 18:32
Weaver 36x40 T-Series Rifle Scope Fine Crosshair Weaver 36x40 T-Series Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849970
  • Matte
  • Fine Crosshair
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Free 4" Sun Shade w/ Purchase
$399.95 
Add Weaver 36x40 T-Series Rifle Scope to Cart 
Most target work is bright daylight so exit eye pupil in low light is not an issue like mirage is.   There really are some scopes already made that are quite suitable for benchrest that are quite a bit less expensive than a Nightforce.   Even a 20x Super Sniper might be a consideration as a 40x would only be doubleing the image and making it look as if it was half the distance.
SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS20X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$279.95 
Add SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart
You would be better off to have two optics in quick release mounts and switch out when you wanted lower powers for hunting purposes.   Something like the 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter would work really well as a hunting optic.
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope Target Dot Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66825
  • Matte
  • Target Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$469.95 
Add Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope to Cart

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2009 at 08:25
42 x scope for big game hunting is madnessSay What

as for shooting game at 15 yards with a 10x minimum I'd suggest that will get old real quick. Super high mag scopes being the future for big game hunting I think is plain wrong.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic