OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low Light Rifle Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnboy74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Light Rifle Scopes
    Posted: November/07/2009 at 11:48
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which scope is best for low light low light. I hunt in SC where most shots are 100-300 yds usually dusky dark.Budget is $200-300.  Alot of local hunters have switched to Nikko Sterling.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2009 at 16:44
A lot of modern scopes will work fine for legal light.  Unfortunately, a lot of scopes that have good enough glass have overly thin reticles that are hard to pick up.

Look for something with a fairly thick reticle.  For example, Hawke Endurance 30 3-9x42 is probably a good way to go:

Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 with Firefly reticle is a pretty good choice:

Alternatively, you could go for a higher quality fixed magnification scope with a thick reticle, like IOR Hunting 4x32 either with the #4 or with post reticle.  

ILya
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 08:25
Bushnell Elite 3200 30mm 3-9x50 German #4 reticle is a very good low light scope.Another good option is the firefly reticle available on the Elite series scopes.The raingaurd is also a plus.  
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 23:18
In your price range, I would get the scope with the boldest reticle and not worry so much about the optical differences.
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 07:46
In that price range I've have very good luck with the Simmons AETEC MS 2.8-10x44 illum, decent optics and the one on my ranch beater .358 Ruger Hawkeye has seen LOTS of ATV miles and quite a bit of shooting and still works great.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 09:05
Originally posted by 1911man 1911man wrote:

In that price range I've have very good luck with the Simmons AETEC MS 2.8-10x44 illum, decent optics and the one on my ranch beater .358 Ruger Hawkeye has seen LOTS of ATV miles and quite a bit of shooting and still works great.
I would also include the Weaver Classic Extreme 2.5-10x50 illuminated scope.This scope is a little on the heavy side but is built solid.Optics are as good as the Bushnell Elite 4200.I believe both scopes are a good choice for low light shooting.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic