OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Demise of a S&W 629 44mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Demise of a S&W 629 44mag
    Posted: November/06/2009 at 12:05
Alright second try at posting pics, sorry

A buddy of mine sent me this.

A guy came into our department the other day to ask a favor. He had a S&W 629 that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range. He said there was a loud bang when he tested his new load and the gun smacked him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash. When the tweety birds cleared, this is what he saw.....

This is a good example of what can happy to somebody who doesn't know what they are doing and go ahead and do it anyway.  It is also a good example of what can happy if you don't pay attention to what your doing!!!

Please be careful when you reload!!!!

Edited by budperm - November/06/2009 at 18:06
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 14:16
did i miss something bud???
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 17:42
  WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thought I got DEMISED!

No Pics
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 18:08
Finally, stinking file naming convensions messed with me!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 18:23
That doesn't look good.  He's lucky he was able to walk anywhere after that.
God save the Empire!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 18:30
Yeah,  Lucky he has a hand and a face still.  Said he got hit in the face but didn't specify if the whole gun tagged him or the blown off piece did.

Edited by budperm - November/06/2009 at 18:31
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 20:04
It's air conditioned...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 21:10
Convertible. or flattop. I got that Email this morning. It did not say where or when it happened. The firing chamber does not appear to be in line with the barrel when it detonated.( Vigorous disassembly).
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2009 at 05:33
WOW!!
Crosswire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosswire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2009 at 07:24
Interesting photos and the message they send are clear, bBut the story isn't. 

I've seen those on maybe five places on the web so far, only two of the stories even resemble the others.  Guess the temptation to make up a story to match what it looks like is too tempting for some folks to resist!

But, it sure shows why not to swap Bullseye for 2400!  And I do hope the now wiser dude didn't loose any more than pride and money.
Sam Colt did more to make men equal than any politician ever did.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2009 at 09:30
seen a similar instance with a blackhawk (before they had the internet), guy used 22 gr of unique instead of 11, yup a double charge. just a note -- its not a detonation the flame front for progressive powders isn't fast enough to detonate. simply an example of enough chemical energy to overcome the metal.
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 02:26
This ones all over the net...
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 14:18
Dirty Harry would be pissed if he found out someone did that to his .44mag
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 14:38
I would never want to see anyone get hurt from reloading there own as many of us do. At the same time its good for me to see what can happen by not following directions or paying good attention to what Im doing...
Thanks for posting it!
Does anyone know if CCOKER ever sent his Sako Finnlight back to the factory, Im still curious to hear what they have to say..............?????
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 15:21
I have not sent it in yet...
just haven't felt like messing with it frankly
it's boxed and ready to go though
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 15:41
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I have not sent it in yet...
just haven't felt like messing with it frankly
it's boxed and ready to go though
bummed!!!! I know the feeling.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 20:44
well, I got that LTR 308, got it dialed in and my 6.8 was aleady ready to go..
so, hunting season starting, just haven't wanted to deal with shipping

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2009 at 18:06
Looking closely at that cylinder it looks like it is made out of cast metal, surely not.  Could that be a replica gun that someone tried live ammo in?
Just speculating
Duce   Roll Eyes
Duce
chandalar jack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chandalar jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2009 at 13:31
been carrying Smiths for some 35 yrs. and load her up accordingly.......never had one blow up. WOW. any other threads on the net on this and if so where? winter time here in Alaska...have plenty of time now to putz around on the computer.

I don't believe it was Quality control in part by Smith so it very well must have been hu-man error. Detail and awareness in reloading is a must.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic