OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Difference between Conquest and Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insproducer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difference between Conquest and Leupold
    Posted: November/06/2009 at 10:00
I am in the market for a new scope.  I am shooting a Browning 270wsm and I am hunting whitetail in Alabama.  I have been all over the web reading about different scopes and I have come up with 2.  The Conquest 3-12x56 and the Leupold 4.5-14x50.  All I have been told from different people is that I need to get a 30mm tube.  Can you give me any input on the two for the gun that I have and what I am hunting for? 

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 11:24
Strictly my opinion, but you do not need a 30mm tube, nor a 50mm+ objective for deer hunting.  You'll go well past legal shooting with a 3-9x40 Conquest, 3-9x40 Elite 4200 or VX3 for that matter.  All the 30mm tube will get you is more adjustment, not a brighter view.  I personally have the Conquest, Elite, and Swaro A 3.5-10x40 and they are all super.  
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 11:31
What is their reasoning for the 30mm tube?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
insproducer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insproducer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 11:42
The reasoning for the 30mm tube was that it would let in more light so you could hunt longer. 
insproducer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insproducer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 12:06
As far as the 30mm tube, this is all what I have been told.  I am just wanting to get a scope that I do not have to worry about buying another.  That is why I was going with the 50mm objective.  All of your comments and advice will sure help!  Any other scope options are appreciated also!! 
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 12:16
Like JGRaider said, all 30mm or larger tubes do is provide more adjustment room. Light transmission is mainly based on objective size/magnification. He is also right that a 3-9x40 will be plenty of scope. You can always ease off the magnification (to 6 or 7) and have about all the light any eye can use. If you go too high on the low end magnification it just gets harder to take shots on animals under 100 yards, esp. if they're moving. I mostly hunt with my 2.5-10X32 and keep it on 2.5 unless I see something out past 300 yards. I can go up past 5X before losing any light advantage to a scope with a larger objective.
Reaction time is a factor...
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 13:31
The difference between Leupold and Zeiss Conquest is (IMHO) light gathering, resolution and contrast performance.  The Conquest is better in all three catagories.  For about the same cost, I would buy the Conquest ahead of the Leupold and I own both.

Now, for objective lens size.  Most of my scopes are 40mm to 50mm, with the addition of a 28mm and 32mm objective scope.  I own (2) 50mm objective scopes, both Austrian and both 10X or above.  The issue with the 50mm objective is cheek weld on the stock for repeatable and accurate shooting.  I like my 50mm objective scopes but they require high rings and are more difficult to shoot accurately for me, especially my Browning A-Bolt because of the low stock comb.  If you are shooting a Mark V Weatherby or some high comb stock, a 50mm objective would be fine.

IMHO in scopes up to 9X a 40mm objective size is sufficient unless you are going to hunt at night.  Even my 5-15X42mm Zeiss scope is bright at 15x until it gets pretty dark despite only having a 3-1/3mm exit pupil.

Edited by Oldtrader3 - November/06/2009 at 13:34
CDR3
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 16:39
Really the differance is not the tube, but better glass, grinding, less stray light,  and coatings.  But some people have a made a lot of money telling people it was the tube...
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic