OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

what is a diascope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is a diascope?
    Posted: November/06/2009 at 09:06
I'm new to optics so bear with me, but what is a diascope?

I've looked everywhere for some form of definition and finally had to register here just to ask since I can't find any info aside from product descriptions, none of which say what the heck makes a diascope a diascope.

Thanks for your help!
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 09:14
A diascope Is Zeiss' brand of spotting scopes.  Search on this site for more info.
pickles View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 09:38
I have searched on this site and nobody says what one is. I assume Zeiss is calling them diascopes for a reason, right?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 11:29
Try this link, or copy and paste:

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-Spotting-Scopes-C501.aspx

Edited by JGRaider - November/06/2009 at 11:30
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 12:20
Because they were designed by Portuguese optics engineer Jose Dias to be used during the day (dia) and were based on research performed on dialysis patients. Bandito
Reaction time is a factor...
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 13:22
And, furthering research done by JonoMT above, I found the following quote from a patent which definitely clears it up for me:

"diascope switch means operably connected with an output of said comparison amplifier means for selectively by-passing said iris driving voltage to ground, for disabling said iris driving circuit."

Terry Lamb
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2009 at 01:52
My simple thoughts is that it is maybe a Dia(lyt roof prism) scope
john thompson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 12:24
A Diascope is an Optical Lantern.  The instrument is described in Intermediate Physics by C J Smith, Edward Arnold & Co, London 1932 and many reprints.

The text describes the optical construction of this instrument and its close cousin the Epidiascope.  Both of these insruments are now museum pieces, and the former term has been adopted for a particular kind of telescope.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2011 at 22:35
Whacko
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic