OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Opinions Wanted...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrewsShootingSports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions Wanted...
    Posted: November/04/2009 at 13:06
Hi guys, it's Real Dumb Question time.  I'll throw several into one thread here.
Backstory:  I'm a BR50 rimfire shooter, getting into longer range hunting (.243 win) for coyote and bigger game.  I need a scope.

1.  What zoom ranges will one want to be shooting out to 500, 800, or 1000 yards at nothing smaller than a coyote or fox.  I'd like variable power here, I believe...

2.  What are the better options in mid to low end price range (under $350).  I don't want to play the "cheap" game of hit or miss (ha ha) quality.  As I have posted elsewhere, I shoot 50M matches with a Barska that is fantastic, but I'm well aware that my example is likely a statistical outlier.

3.  I am more than willing to sacrifice a bit of clarity for better mechanical accuracy and reliability. 

4.  Low light is a factor as well (dawn and dusk shooting). 

Thanks so much guys, I've enjoyed my first few hours on this forum!

Drew
DrewsShootingSports View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrewsShootingSports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 13:38
I just did some looking, and am wondering what Millett Buck Gold scopes are like, as they seem to have good features for the money.  Anyone experienced with Millett?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 13:53
What is your budget?

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrewsShootingSports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 14:24
Looking to keep it under $350, $250 is better.  Obviously this is limiting... However, I'm not competing in 6mm BR here...

Drew
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 15:11
Take a look at the Leupold VXI 4-12x40, Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40, and Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42.. They are all descent scopes in your price range but my first choice would be the Burris because it is built like a tank, then the Nikon, followed by the VXI. 800-1000 yds is a stretch unless you have spent a-lot of time and ammo shooting at those ranges. Any of these scopes would be more than suitable to 600 yds.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 15:14
The Burris and the Nikon will both give you parallax adjustment as well.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrewsShootingSports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 15:31
Curiosity has bested me:  What power of magnification do you guys use to shoot 1000yds?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 16:11
Drew shooting 1000 yds isnt as easy as it might sound. Everything comes into play at that distance.  You should be able to use a fixed 10x scope and at 1000 yds the target would look like open sights at 100 yds.  One of the bigest issues though is the extreme internal adjustment needed in a scope to have enough adjustment to dial in that kind of correction.  If you are serious about this there really is only one answer in that price range and that is Super Sniper which is sold only by SWFA.  http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx
Since low light is a concern I would suggest staying with the 10x scope as that will provide a 4.2mm exit eye pupil which should be useable.  7mm exit eye pupil being ideal in low light but you simply wont be getting there in this budget.  All of the variable scopes that have enough internal adjustment are much more expensive. 

As you become more interested in shooting long range you will eventually want a much more expensive scope like a Premier,  S&B,  Heinsoldt,  U.S. Optics, Nightforce because the optic will make a difference in your level of success.  As for caliber you are thinking .243 and I strongly recommend you consider a 7mm08  or a 260 Rem instead because it is a better long range cartridge with better balistic coeffecient and not that much more recoil.  You need to plug in the balistic info in a balistic calculator and see for yourself.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/04/2009 at 16:14

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrewsShootingSports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 16:25
Imaginary:  Thanks for the advice!  I have decided on .243 due to the flexibility of the cartridge (I can make some loads with lighter bullets and preserve coyote hides, or load some heavier projectiles to get it downrange).  I don't even currently have a place to shoot 1000yds, but I was curious.  It is my estimation that the longest shots I may get will realistically be 800 yds or less. 

I understand that a lot comes into effect at long range, and of course I will enjoy an "excuse" to get some hours of good work in!  I obviously am looking for the best of all worlds (you know, that does exist, right?  No? Ohhh...)!  I think I'm pretty set on the .243 (a lot of world class 6mm 1000 yd shooters out there!).  Does the SS scope have some sort of "return to zero" function for elevation/windage adjustments?

Thanks again!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 16:31
What rifle are you getting?  Based on the barrel and twist rate, that will play a big role in reaching 1000 yards with the .243.  Certainly doable, but you will want to shoot the heavier 105 and 107 grain bullets.  Most factory .243s do not have a fast enough twist rate to stabilize those heavy bullets.  They are more set up for the 70 to 90 grain ranges.  It is really hard to get a barrel that will shoot the whole range of bullets offered well.  You almost have to choose one end of the spectrum or the other. 

Yes the SS does have resettable to zero turrets.  They are good scopes.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrewsShootingSports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 16:48
I'm going to go with one of the Savages, as I am very comfortable with their quality (and I am a dealer).  I think they're using 1:9.25 rifling, but I would probably buy a different barrel if I were serious about 1000 yds anyhow.  I'm not sure what twist is needed to stabilize the heavier 107 or so bullets (like a Match King).  Do you?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 16:54
Optimally your going to want a 1-8" to stabilize those bullets.  But it is always possible they may shoot good in the 9.25.  That one should shoot up to 100s good.  They say that the 105s and 107s are another animal though.  They don't shoot worth crap in either of the .243s my dad and I have.  100 are pretty good, but that is pushing it.

Realistically though, for the varmint hunting you are wanting to do, that is a fantastic choice and the 75 to 90 grain bullets will easily shoot way way out there. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 17:19

When I go hunting coyotes we rarely find them out to 1000 yards... typically they are about 200-300 yards sometimes at most 500-600 yards and we hunt alot of them on our farms in Iowa. I typically use my bolt action .22 mag with a 3-9x40 cuz I don't expect them to be out too far and I dont want to ruin the hides while my brother uses a .223 and our friends use their .243's or .223's but most of us are using a 3-9x40 while one guy uses a Nikon 4.5-14x40 on his savage .243 and he likes it really well when we coyote hunt.

I'd say get a Nikon 3-9x40 or 4.5-14x40 would be a great coyote hunting scope but thats just my opinion.
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 17:20
I hunt yotes with a 4x and have got one at almost 400 yards.

Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 17:32
what brand 4x do you have?
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 17:44

Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 18:18

IOR Excellent

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrewsShootingSports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 14:37
After a few days of scope research... Wow.  There are endless varieties and features.  Exhausting.
sofalyr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofalyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 20:51
Guess nobody answered your question.  I am going to try a Millett Gold.  Will be putting it on a .243 also.  NSS seemed to think the Milletts were great... just heavy.  Guess we will see.  I have a old Titan 3x9x42 which I think was the previous name of the SS.  It does have beautiful glass,  I don't use it because I am not thrilled with the FFP reticule.
Good luck and let us know how it all works out.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 00:50
FWIW, I have a 6mm Remington which is similar to the 243 Winchester with a 1x9 twist barrel and it shoots the Hornady 105 AMAX really well and it has a pretty good BC too.  As best I can tell, the 107 SMK and Bergers require a 1x8 twist. 

The 6mm Remington has the horsepower to do well at 1000 yards and I imagine a 243 does too, you just might have to settle with Hornady bullets.

As far as a scope, it depends on what you're primarly going to use it for.  For small critters at long distance, I'd want magnification with good clarity and resolution at the highest magnifications along with good eye relief thru the zoom range.

For coyotes, foxes, etc... I would settle for less power but still good clarity and resolution.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic