OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles
    Posted: November/04/2009 at 09:34

What is the deal with Kahles?  Am I late in the game?  I was looking for a scope and didn't see them listed.  Are they still in business?  I thought they were one of the best rifle scopes out there.

bbush View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 12:32

It is my understanding that they no longer have an importer in the U.S.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 12:55
Yes, bbush is correct.  They are still in business, but after they and Swarovski N.A. parted ways and their subsequent relationship with Legacy Sports was also severed, they no longer have a U.S. importer.  This doesn't change the fact they are fine scopes. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
bbush View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 16:09
By the way, if you buy a Kahles scope and it has to have any factory work done, I understand that it must must be shipped back to Austria.  As you are probably aware, it could get qite expensive shipping something to Europe.  For this reason, I would tend to entertain other scope brands until they find another US importer.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 17:24
I will gladly ship mine to Europe. I have several and they are excellent scopes that get you into the top tier at a fair price.

Edited by tahqua - November/04/2009 at 18:27
cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 17:56
That kind of blows.  It seems like they need to resolve this issue.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 18:02
From their perspective, they did resolve the issue.  They weren't selling enough scopes in the U.S. to justify having a US based service center.  Despite their quality, Kahles didn't have the name recognition of Swarovski and Zeiss nor the longevity in the US market.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BobH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 18:50
why don't the folks at SWFA pick up the line and distribute them? Great retailer and a great optic.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 18:54
Originally posted by BobH BobH wrote:

why don't the folks at SWFA pick up the line and distribute them? Great retailer and a great optic.

Smile  Yeah baby!
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 19:08
Ditto

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - February/14/2010 at 23:19
No one
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 14:06
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Originally posted by BobH BobH wrote:

Smile  Yeah baby!

That could appear as a conflict of interest to other companies whose products SWFA sells (i.e. Swaro, Zeiss, etc).

ILya
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 17:06

I would like to see SWFA sell Kahles scopes as well...

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 20:51
SWFA did sell Kahles up to the point they stopped importing into the US in '07. 

Koshkin is right.  If SWFA decided to become the importer for Kahles, then most likely Zeiss, Swarovski, etc. would view that as a conflict of interest.
Ted

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 21:23
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

SWFA did sell Kahles up to the point they stopped importing into the US in '07. 

Koshkin is right.  If SWFA decided to become the importer for Kahles, then most likely Zeiss, Swarovski, etc. would view that as a conflict of interest.

Big Grin
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 21:30
 Nevermind.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 21:34
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Nevermind.

Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
LongRifle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongRifle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 21:36
Actually the problem was more that Kahles felt Swarovsky did not push or advertize their
product with vigor this came from a discussion I had via phone with Kahles. I own two of
the 3x9 42MM plex AH & two of the CL 3x9 42MM 4A reticle. It was also pointed out that
that in Europe Kahles is desired and held in higher esteem than Swarovsky. This phone
conversation was right before Legacy Sports took over service and has since disolved
their partnership. I at the time owned to of the AH 3x9 42MM and was looking at buying
the CL's which I did end purchasing with no regrets I might add.
LongRifle
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 00:56
True, but then the whole Kahles saga and the contentious Kahles / Swaro relationship has been discussed at length on this forum in the past.

The search function is your friend.

Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic