OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Yosemite 6x30 vs. Nikon Action EX 7x35

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Yosemite 6x30 vs. Nikon Action EX 7x35
    Posted: November/04/2009 at 09:34
I'm trying to do a head-to-head comparison of these 2 binoculars, and would appreciate feedback from anyone who has had experience with both of them.  I've done a fair amount of research online already, and have pretty much made my mind up to get the Leupolds.  I use a Nikon scope (which I am please with), so I started out wanting to stay with the Nikon brand.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Leupold Pros:
Slightly Smaller
Less Expensive
Sharper edge to edge image
Lighter

Nikon Pros:
Larger magnification (1 power)

As you see, the only thing I really like better about the Nikons is the extra magnification.  I've looked through both of them in a store, however, and honestly couldn't tell that much of a difference in the magnification between the two. 
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 06:56
Get the Leupold.  I bought my wife a pair because she wanted something to look out in the yard and woods with while in the house and I hate to leave my Swarovski's out all the time.  I have to be honest I liked them so much I bought myself a pair for the truck and when I don't feel like I need the Swarovski's.  They are definately worth the $$.  
D. Holmes
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 07:49
another vote for the leupolds; best there is for the money, and probably for quite a bit more money.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 09:40
Don't leave the 6.5x32 Vortex Raptor/Eagle Optics Raven out of the equation either.  They will show a little bit bigger image than the Yosemite.  They are a bit longer than the Yosemite, but the image is actually a bit better.  They cost more too, about $120, but I have come to like my Raven better than my Yosemite.  I would prefer either over the Nikon.  Actually the image difference in 1x magnification is mostly simple nit picking.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 15:39

Is the Raven the same as the Raptor?  Is it the same as the Fury with a different name?

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 16:00
Originally posted by cajunhunter cajunhunter wrote:

Is the Raven the same as the Raptor?  Is it the same as the Fury with a different name?

Yes, they are the same binocular, one with green armor, the other black.  The Raven/Raptor is a porro prism and the Fury is a roof prism.  The images are directly comparable.

Edited by Klamath - November/05/2009 at 16:01
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

jabo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2009 at 15:24
I purchased the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 last week, and couldn't be happier. 
I appreciate all of you re-affirming my initial instinct.
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2009 at 07:45
jabo, they should give you many years of great service.  If anything should ever happen to them just call Leupold up and they will give you a return number to send them back for servicing.  They have A+ customer service.  My wife likes hers so well I hardly ever get to use them.  LOL

D. Holmes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic