OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best sub $400 3/4-12/14x?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckystrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best sub $400 3/4-12/14x?
    Posted: November/03/2009 at 22:32
Looking for something in the (3 or 4)-(12 to 14)x (heck even up to 16x if there's a good one) to put on my new .30-06 (still trying to decide on which to get...leaning towards a Tikka Hunter) that will serve as mostly a range rifle but get a used one week a year elk hunting.

Trying to keep it sub $400  but if there's something that's a big jump in quality for another $50 then I might be able to stretch it to $450

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated, thanks
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 13:09
Check out the Sightron S2 Big Sky line.They even offer a $50.00 rebate.I would also take a look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 line.Both scopes are very good performers in foul hunting weather.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 13:11
Originally posted by Randall45 Randall45 wrote:

Check out the Sightron S2 Big Sky line.They even offer a $50.00 rebate.I would also take a look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 line.Both scopes are very good performers in foul hunting weather.

+1, both of those lines would make a great optic for you.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
luckystrike View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckystrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 15:09
Thanks...after doing a bit more research I've got a short list that includes the SII BS, 4200 and the Nikon Monarch.

Now i just need to head to a store to look through them and see which I like best.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckystrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 15:11
Looking at the difference in price between the ones i'm looking at and their 3-9x counterparts is pretty depressing......makes me wonder if 9x would be enough but I've got a Mueller APV 4-14x on my .22lr and am just kinda used to magnification in that range
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 15:17
I have never hunting anything with more than a 3-9x.  I have killed animals at 400 yards and done just fine.  3-9s are a bargan
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckystrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 16:02
If it was just for hunting i probably would get a 3-9x....however i only elk hunt one week a year....the other weeks it'll be used for target practice where i think i'll want that extra power
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 16:12
well then get a little more.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 16:30
Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 424164SF
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
$499.95 
Add Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope to Cart

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 23:35
If you stay with the original price range you can do a Weaver Grand Slam or Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14...should be the best scopes at that magnification range for around $260-340. 
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 21:25
The Vortex Viper scopes are highly regarded around here.
Great optics, eye relief, adjustability and ergonomics.
Right now all models are selling with a $50 rebate.
This 4-12x40 model is parallax adjustable with a BDC reticle and quick focus eyepiece.
http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-12x40-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11230.aspx

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckystrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2009 at 10:24
I hesitantly upped my price limit to sub $500 and had the Monarch, Big Sky and 4200 on my short list but now I'm looking into these Vortex scopes.

Before looking at Vortex I'd been leaning towards the Monarchs because they're cheaper then the Big Sky and 4200 but have heard some negative things about their customer service.   I'm thinking of cutting my shortlist down to just the Monarch or Viper.

I have heard that Vortex has great customer service so if the Viper can match the Nikon quality wise then I may lean that way.  One bad thing is that for the same price as a 4-12x viper, Nikon has a 4-16x.   If they're equal in other aspects it may come down to deciding whether I want higher magnification or better customer service.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2009 at 10:35
 I think you're making a mistake a lot of elk hunters make; not being able to decide whether you are an elk hunter or a target shooter.

You can certainly do both, but it would be far the best to have appropriate setups for each discipline.  A good target rifle does not make a good rough-country big-game rifle. And the converse is just as true. Sorry if that disrupts your plans, but I believe it to be in your best interests to take this advice into serious consideration...

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckystrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2009 at 11:01
I'm well aware that it'd be far better to have two dedicated setups (on a rifle forum i'm getting the same type of advice as I waver between lighter rifles and more target oriented ones) but I only have the money to put towards one bolt action gun as my "Guns/gun stuff to buy list" is not lacking in length (next on the list is a .44mag revolver).

I'd say if I would weight the importance to me it'd be 80% focus on target shooting/20% on hunting.   I base this on the fact that I'm only elk hunting (that's the only hunting I do) one week a year...the other 51 weeks the rifle will be used for target shooting.    So I'm willing to sacrifice more the "things you want on a hunting rifle" side of things....mainly humping a pound or two heavier rig up and down hills.  Definitely not a perfect situation but it's the one that I'm in and yeah it seems to be a common dilemma
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2009 at 15:34
 I understand where you are coming from, but since it usually costs a great deal of money to go on an elk hunt, licences travel, guide/trespass fees, meat processing, etc. I think you might want to weigh those into the equation as well, in addition to the 1 week/51 weeks balance.
 I guess rather than compromise both; I'd suggest  building a near- ideal hunting rifle, and accepting any handicap that it places on your target scores. You probably won't be competitive score-wise against the guys with dedicated target guns anyway, so just try to shoot decent and ever-improving scores against yourself with your hunting rig, for your own satisfaction only...
 I like hunting even more than target shooting, though, so I'm biased in that direction. You may be inclined the other way.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckystrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2009 at 16:09
I'm in oregon and hunt on public land with a bunch of guys who've been doing it a long time (which means they have all the equipment like wall tents/stoves, cots, etc) so it costs me relatively very little to elk hunt.   My most expensive cost is the gas to drive 6 hours from the valley to the east side.

Definitely one of those dilemmas where people would fall on one side of the issue or the other depending on their personal situation
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2009 at 18:09
  Any others you know with your interests?  What are they using?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2009 at 07:50
I just mounted and zeroed a Bushnell 3200 Elite 4-12x40 DOA for a friend and was very impressed with it
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic