OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ROCK MY WORLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ROCK MY WORLD
    Posted: November/03/2009 at 07:16
Just when things were starting t o settle down and I was beginning to feel comfortible in my job security this happens!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW CRAP!!!!!!

Last night Black & Decker and Stanley Tool Works announced that they are merging to create a new company "Stanley,Black & Decker"  Corporate headquarters is to be in New Britain CT. the current headquarters for Stanley.  B&D Corparte headquarters based in Towson, MD will become the Powertool R&D headquarters.  Since there is very little overlap between companies the transition process is expected to be completed by mid 2010.

Everybody I have talked to at work this morning is in a state of SHOCK!  There were no rumors about this at all but this evidentally was in hte works for several months.

Internally It appears B&D CEO Nolan Archibald sold out all his croanies.  He will become Excutive Chairman of the new company with a 3 year employment guarantee and Stanley's management will fill out the rest of the management positions.  How nice of him considering he only worked 2 days a week, if that, and B&D bought him a new 40 million dollar Jet 2 years ago.

Well, now everything is again up in the air!  I can only hope to still have a job here this time next year!  I have no desire to re-locate to CT if it is even offered.  I hope the do indeed decide to keep Powertool R&D here in Towson!

Only time will tell!  And my stress levels just doubled probably my BP too! Cencored Light It Up
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 07:28
  D*MN Bud,if you didn't have bad luck you'd have no luck at all. 

Seems companies are getting rid of their most experienced employees to save money at the expense of quality (can you say Remington?).  At least you've got time to be checking out job options and didn't get to work this morning only to find locks on the doors.

Keep the FAITH!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 07:45

I am going  to try and remain positive about this but I sure don't get the warm fuzzies over it!

I just spent some time looking at Stanleys structure.  they have a least 8 different companies all doing door lock and hardware, including Best and Sargent.  Talk about redundant management!   B&D owns Quickset and Baldwin so now we will be competing against ourselves.  Hmm can you say price fixing??

Yep, I don't feel warm and fuzzy at all!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 08:43
Cencored
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 09:55
Ditto
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 10:28
Kwikset locks were located in Bristow Oklahoma. When they were sold a few years ago, all manufacturing was relocated to Mexico laying off all workers here in Oklahoma. I no longer use Kwikset locks for re keying houses. They went the same way as Wrangler Jeans.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 10:56
Yep thats the only way companies can afford all that multi-million dollar top management is to out-source everything overseas or at least out of country.  The only things still actually manufactured in the USA for or by B&D are Gaspowered generators and the new TOP of the line Delta Unisaw with one piece trunion.  They tried for a couple of years to have these built overseas but the quality levels could not be maintained.  it wasn't easy convincing upper management that we couldn't aford to sacrifice quality to keep it overseas!  Return rates and warranty costs won the battle.  Thats powertools, I can't speak for the rest of the companies B&D owns and controls.
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 11:07
CEO of B&D Nolan Arhibald's published base salary is 1.5 Million.  Over the last five years he has averaged over 20 million a year after perks and stock options.  The man owns his own personal 18 hole golf Course on ONE of his estates.  When the enconomy tanked 1st thing corporate did was dock everybody 5% of the salary.  For most of us that cut deep.  For upper management it only applied to their base.  All money saved from the salary cut from the employees amounted to less than 25% of the perks and stock options paid out to the upper management.  They got bonuses for hitting their numbers!  Gee, I am happy I could help do MY part for the company.
--Thomas Jefferson

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 11:24
Definitely, THINK POSITIVE. No need in generating the worry emotion till absolutely necessary. Maybe you will even end up better off. Good luck. Shocked
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 11:26
Hang in there, Bud!  I hope everything turns out o.k. for you!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 11:50
Ya know, if done correctly, this can create a very strong new company.  At this point I have NO confidence in either management team.  Nolan had openly voiced his desire to retire within 5 years and it looks like this will seal that deal.  That leaves only Stanley Management in control after 3 years.  They are a complete unknown.

I guess what makes this so bad is that the Decker family when still running B&D was 100% employee was family oriented!  Mulitple annual raises, turkeys, Xmas bonuses, excellent pay and benefits.  In the last 10 years of Noan's 24 year tenure (12 years since Decker retired) All bonsuses and multiple raises stopped, except for upper management.  Health benefits drastically deminished, again except for executive management.  Pension plan stopped but replaced by 401K then 401K match stopped.  Its very apparent where the average B&D emplyee now stands.
--Thomas Jefferson

scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 15:01
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Kwikset locks were located in Bristow Oklahoma. When they were sold a few years ago, all manufacturing was relocated to Mexico laying off all workers here in Oklahoma. I no longer use Kwikset locks for re keying houses. They went the same way as Wrangler Jeans.

DON'T GET ME STARTED 3tens... I worked for the company that owned Wrangler along with dozens of other name brand apparel.... right up until the point we were sourced to IBM to which the fastest course of action is to move as many jobs to india - brazil - argentina as fast as they can.  Yes, your Wranglers are all made overseas or mexico.  The defect rate sky rocketed once it went over seas.. I am hanging on by a thread like most.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 15:36
Wow Bud!This sucks like a Hoover. Maybe you could show what a great employee you are by stabbing your fellow employees in the back (just kidding). It burns my butt to know that some jerk is getting rich by ruining a good company, it's products, and screwing the people that made the company a success. Start looking for a new job and/or a promotion. I hope things workout in your favor.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 15:52
Sorry about your luck, BP. I got laid-off this morning! So much for the improving economy!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 15:55
Sorry to hear that Bill.  
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 16:15

Bill, terribly sorry to hear you were laid off.  Worst feeling on earth.  However, find the opportunity that comes with such an event.  People tend to get "comfortable" with their positions and forget that they are much more capable than they are currently being allowed to show.  Look for "new, different, better".  Prayers are with you.

Bud, I really hope things turn up for you.  That is not good news.  Sounds like Gordon Gecko type of philosophy in your company.  I agree that you should start looking for options, now.  Don't wait for the "sword" to fall. 

God's speed...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 16:15
  +1,Bill! 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 16:23
Hate to hear your news too Bill. Hope things improve for you.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 16:53
MAN!  Now I feel embarassed!  Very Sorry to here you got laid-off Bill!  I hope at least they gave you a decent severance package!
--Thomas Jefferson

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 18:00
Severance packages and construction are not really synonymous. Thanks for the well wishes and my apologies for the hi-jack. But K-B is correct, just got to man-up and get out there again! 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic