OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

combination hunting / target

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptarmiganptom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: combination hunting / target
    Posted: November/02/2009 at 22:05

Rifle - 7mm08

Budget $ 300 - $600

I am looking for any suggestions for a scope that i can use to both hunt and shoot big bore silhouette (up to 500 yards).  I am open to both fixed and variable magnification however i am under the impression that some variable mag scopes have trouble maintaining zero at mid magnifications. 

I have looked at the following scopes:  Sightron SII, SIIBS, Burris Fullfield II Tactical, Pentax LIghtseeker.  I am open to any suggestions.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 01:27
Please clarify "Big Bore" as 7mm08 is not considered big bore.

To find a combination for any two things is normally very difficult as you have to pay in from both sides and you end up with something that is not quite suitable for either.

500yds is a long way out and in my opinion you need to find something dedicated to one only.

You would definately have to go to a variable, probably a 4,5-20. Most scopes are stable throughout the zoom.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 06:45
If you are going to shoot in matches then you need a differant scope than those listed
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 09:20
Some clarification sorta-- in us. big bore is anything over 22 cal. big bore can also be called high power. , this is a terminology among the various formal match groups. long range rifle silhoutte is usually out to 600 yd, standing no slings, or other helpers. 7-08 is about the ideal choice. a balance of power and recoil needed to knock over apprx. 20 lbsteel rams about 2 feet high placed on rails.
if a scope has trouble keeping zero it will do it at all magnifications, its just at the higher ones are more noticeable. generally high mag. scopes are used under the assumption that if you can have get any of the cross hair on the target long enough to pull the trigger it will knock the target over, whereas with lower power scopes -one doesn't even know if they are on the target. Another thing that is need are good target turrets.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 12:28
ptarmiganptom-  As you can see everyone here is an expert. You will get an earful of everything but what you were hoping for.  

I believe you can get better quality than what you have listed by looking at the Nikon Monarch Series.  They zero very well and return to zero time after time.  You have to choose your own magnification... 

If at all possible try to go to a big box store you know one with a mountain and animals in it and put the different ones you want side by side on their dummy guns and then choose what you think you like pick your magnification.  Sure it is not like being outside with the sun or clouds but you seem to already have an idea of what you are looking for.

Good luck...
(waiting for the negative feedback)
No one
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 12:34
If you want to shoot matches you needs a scope that will handle the adjustment on a regular basis.  You will need to build up a book of setting so that as you gauge the wind you can dial in the "dope."  That means target turrets and a whole lot more magnfication than you want for hunting.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 12:53
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

ptarmiganptom-  As you can see everyone here is an expert. You will get an earful of everything but what you were hoping for.  

If at all possible try to go to a big box store you know one with a mountain and animals in it and put the different ones you want side by side on their dummy guns and then choose what you think you like pick your magnification.  Sure it is not like being outside with the sun or clouds but you seem to already have an idea of what you are looking for.

Good luck...
(waiting for the negative feedback)
Oh, another expert. This is great advise!! Go to a store, and look through scopes, and just pick one!! Forget about function, and internals. Go with what looks good in an artificially lit big box store! Glad I'm not an expert. I'll reserve my opinions on a scope, to keep from being labeled. I would take any advice that Dale Clifford gives to the bank though.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 13:20
YUP got the negative only took a few minutes...

I don't know what we would do without people in the world like that... 

Anywho SWFA will make sure you don't buy junk internally...

I am suggesting you have to put your hands on what you are going to buy to make sure you are seeing / touching/feeling / smelling what you are looking at for the price range you listed.  Do not go off of what others say unless you buy it from SWFA because of the return policy.

I do admit that you will not benefit from being outside, I also would say that on a sunny day even a "bad scope" can look decent.

I do not think for a minute that you will not be able to tell which ones are built to last.  by putting your hands on the scope yourself you know what you are getting yourself into. 

Nikon does have tactical turrets or "target" turrets...

No one
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 13:24
Of the brands you listed the Big Sky will probably have the edge in glass quality.  If you went with this model  http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=20148&PID=252499#252499 it will fit both of your needs pretty well.  4x is low enough for most hunting situations but I would not want to go any higher.   And 16x should be plenty for 500 yards.  It has adjustable parallax and covered resettable target style knobs.  One downside at least in my opinion is the 1/8 MOA adjustments.  But maybe that is something you want for target shooting, so it might be just fine for you.

Another one to consider would be the Vortex Viper.  It will have compairable glass to the Big Sky and mechanically they get great reviews.  http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-12x40-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P10820.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 13:26

What do you expect when tossing out insults like that?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 13:42

I am about the meekest person I know. I'm not one for jumping on someone, and being negative, but when someone comes in here with the kind of arrogance you have shown, and starts bashing members for trying to help, it tends to set me off. I send as many rounds downrange as anyone............does it make me an expert........no. Does it mean that my opinion shouldn't matter? I don't think so. At this point I don't care what you think of my opinion. I'm totally, and completely done with you. This is the second thread you've posted in that made me seek anger management. I'm sure, being the "worldly expert" you can handle it from here. I'm out.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 13:44
I really don't see the point of the insults... or the "reaching" for a battle.  338, your service and inputs are highly respected and because you have recently been in the midst of the war, you get more "slack" than others might.  But there are those here who have much more experience and knowledge than you.  Valid argument based upon experience and verifiable information is welcome.  It provides a basis for thoughtful exchange.  Petty challenges based upon personal opinion is discouraged... 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 13:46
ptarmiganptom,

I'd look into the Sightron Big Sky or SIII models for something with target knobs in the magnification range you need. Also, the Bushnell Elite 6500, which has a range that should cover hunting close in out to targets at 600 yards (sorry, it's $150 more than your stated budget, but there aren't many quality scopes that do everything you want. I just dropped a boat load of $$$ on one that will so believe me when I say that):
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-25-16x42-Elite-6500-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13139.aspx

I'd of course recommend the SS variable - if they had a model that went 4-16 instead of 3-9. That would be a great scope (not to fault SWFA because they have to look at what they can sell profitably rather than the wishes of a few).
Reaction time is a factor...
ptarmiganptom View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptarmiganptom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 13:55

Does anyone have any information on the Vortex Viper?  I have no first hand knowledge of the brand other than what i can find in these forums.

trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 13:57
Here is a review from a respected member here. I haven't played with a Viper yet.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 13:59
Originally posted by ptarmiganptom ptarmiganptom wrote:

Does anyone have any information on the Vortex Viper?  I have no first hand knowledge of the brand other than what i can find in these forums.

Welcome ptarmiganptom.  Enjoy the OT Forum...

Edited by Kickboxer - November/03/2009 at 14:08
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
ptarmiganptom View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptarmiganptom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 14:08
I was sold on Sightron recently, but am waivering a bit now.  Although i would love to get a SIII, i am not quite willing to shell out the $800 bones.  My real question would be whether to shell out a little more for a SII big sky or go with a plain old SII.  I only get out to the range about once a month, and although i would enjoy having top of the line equipment, i can settle for just good and reliable.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 15:46
I'm a big fan of Vortex but their Viper scopes don't quite fit the objectives of both good for hunting and long-range target shooting. The magnification ranges are either 4-12 or 6.5-20. While 4X is alright on the low-end if you hunt in thick cover it is not great and 6.5 would be a challenge. 12X on the high end is low for 600-yard target shooting.

While I'm quite impressed with their new HD tactical scope, I was hoping Vortex would be the company that would put out an mil/mil FFP scope in the sub-$1000 range that would go 3-15 or 4-16 on a 30mm tube and track like a Nightforce. But only SWFA has even come close with their SS 3-9. (Alright, I'll shut up now).
Reaction time is a factor...
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 15:46
at this point probably depends alot on what type of hunting you are doing??  Nikon monarch is a really good option, except for the 1/8 clicks , but to get around that, but you don't count clicks anyway just dial to the stadia lines for that distance and color them with a marker. lots of scopes in this class-- monarch on mod. 70 stainless.
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 17:11
    I'd suggest you take a look at the Sightron 6-24 Silhouette model.  Here's a link to an excellent review of it:

"Marsupials scare me".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic