OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sidways Grouse Hunt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K.I.A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sidways Grouse Hunt
    Posted: November/02/2009 at 11:31

Past saturday myself and a buddy of mine + his dad went out in my new truck out north of Edson ( not sure how many of you are familiar ith this area), and boy was it a roller coaster day. I guess the day before it had been raining so all the back oil field roads had about 2inchs of slop on top. In this hilly country deary me, i dont think i've ever driven side ways for that long in my life. There was a few times were we thougth we would never get back out. However by the end of the day, we had bagged 9 birds. 5 ruffled 4 spruce. And took back half of edson attached to my truck Cool

Wide open till you see God...Then brake
K.I.A. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K.I.A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 11:33
Im going to add, because i thought it was real neat, we came upon 4 just on the side of road near the end of the day, filling their craw with stones from the road. Im happy to say i got 2 with one shot, and my buddys dad got 1 then my buddy succsessfully chassed on into the woods. 3 our of 4 aint bad.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 13:56
Sounds like fun, although that mud (which seems to run 800 km south to where we've hunted around the Sweetgrass Hills in MT) can be nerve-wracking.
Reaction time is a factor...
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 09:37
They are called pine hens around here and are second only to chukkars in difficulty. Love every minute of the season!!!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 18:16
Originally posted by K.I.A. K.I.A. wrote:

Im going to add, because i thought it was real neat, we came upon 4 just on the side of road near the end of the day, filling their craw with stones from the road. Im happy to say i got 2 with one shot, and my buddys dad got 1 then my buddy succsessfully chassed on into the woods. 3 our of 4 aint bad.

You "ground-swatted" them, didn't you?  No No
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 18:26
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Dad always called it "Arkansaw'd"..........Bucky
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 18:40

[/QUOTE]

Dad always called it "Arkansaw'd"..........Bucky
[/QUOTE]

Excellent 
That's a new one for me, Mark!
I'll have to write that down!
K.I.A. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K.I.A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 11:10
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I dont know what that is lol. However i aimed at the closest ( 15 yards away) with an old side by side 20ga hudsons bay shot gun and after i fired the one i was aiming at was flapping away on the ground as well as tthe one that was about a foot beside it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic