OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

50 mm objective & medium rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboykjb5.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50 mm objective & medium rings
    Posted: November/02/2009 at 06:39
I was wondering if a 50 mm objective scope would fit ( I doubt it) on a remington 700 classic with leupold base and medium rings (already mounted on both guns). I have 2 classics, one in 300 savage and I plan on mounting a 3-9 on it but not sure which scope (trying to stay under $300 since its a shorter range gun) and the other is a 300 weatherby and I plan on mounting a 4.5-14 on it but i'm still undecided on scope choice for it too (trying to stay under $400)

Thanks for any suggestions. 
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 07:01
You need high mounts for the 50mm objective.Your medium rings fit a 42mm objective on the Remington 700.A nice 3-9 scope I would consider is the Sightron S2.I removed all my Leupold VX-2 scopes from my rifles for the Sightron which are cheaper and better.To be honest any 3-9 scope is good for hunting deer size targets out to 400 yards.I have a Zeiss Conquest on my Remington 700 Classic 300 wby and have taken deer on 6 power at 375 yards.
farmboykjb5.9 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboykjb5.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 18:16
Thats what i figured and i was actually considering the S2 also for the 300 savage.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboykjb5.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 08:27
Both guns are used for hunting and i probably wont shoot the 300 weatherby that often anyway so thats why i dont want to spend a lot of $ on on a scope for it.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 08:56

My suggestion for the .300 Savage would be this:                                     

http://swfa.com/Burris-2-7x35-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scope-P5973.aspx                                       

Then I'd take the extra money and get this for the Weatherby:                                                            

Edited by 300S&W - November/04/2009 at 08:58
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 11:28
Originally posted by farmboykjb5.9 farmboykjb5.9 wrote:

I was wondering if a 50 mm objective scope would fit ( I doubt it) on a remington 700 classic with leupold base and medium rings (already mounted on both guns). I have 2 classics, one in 300 savage and I plan on mounting a 3-9 on it but not sure which scope (trying to stay under $300 since its a shorter range gun) and the other is a 300 weatherby and I plan on mounting a 4.5-14 on it but i'm still undecided on scope choice for it too (trying to stay under $400)

Thanks for any suggestions. 

It depends on the scope you decide to get.

I have a couple of m700's that used to have Leupold base and rings on them. If I were mounting any Leupold scope (vari-x III or vxIII) with 50mm objective I had to go with high rings, mediums would not work. This may have changed with the newer vx-3 scopes.

With Talleys, I'm using mediums for my non-Leupold scopes (50mm bells) mounted on the same m700's.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
PINION199 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PINION199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 17:55
50 mm objective on my 300rum needed high mounts.
Is everybody in? The ceremony is about to begin.
PINION199 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PINION199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 17:56

rem 700

Is everybody in? The ceremony is about to begin.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2009 at 18:17
Leupold bases are pretty flat.  Flat as a fritter.  Maybe with Burris bases you could use Medium rings.....but your eye is still going to be in the same place.......does that make any sense??  Whacko          
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboykjb5.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 07:36
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

My suggestion for the .300 Savage would be this:                                     

http://swfa.com/Burris-2-7x35-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scope-P5973.aspx                                       

Then I'd take the extra money and get this for the Weatherby:                                                            

I was looking at 2-7 for the 300 savage but the only problem with them is you cant find one with a 40mm objective, the reason i want at least a 40mm is cause it will be mostly a woods gun and i like a bigger FOV so you can pick up moving Deere better, so thats why i was looking at a 3-9x42 S2.
For the 300 weatherby i was looking at a 4.5-14 Buckmasters, S2, and Elite 3200 but i'm not affraid of spending a little more $ on a Monarch or Elite 4200.

Thanks for the advice guys.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 07:59

Hey,fb.  First off,obj diam has nothing to do with the field of view of a scope.  It does have to do with the amount of light let in.  Here are the fov specs for the FFII and SII:

FFII   2X=45'   7X=13'

SII    3X=34'   9X=12'

In all fairness though,either scope would work for you. Of the two I'd want the FFII because the reticle in the FFII (German 3P#4) would be better for low light and hunting in thick areas.  I've got a 1.5-6x42 SII and like it ALOT but would prefer a heavier crosshair.

As far as the Weatherby scope choice goes,a little more money spent on either the Monarch or 4200 would be money well spent.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboykjb5.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 07:03
Yeah i just learned about the obj of the scope has nothing to do with the fov  just lighting thanks for clearing that up with me though. The only reason i was looking at the SII is cause i really want to try a sightron since i dont have one yet and everybody is saying their a really good scope.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 07:10
  Go for it!  I've got two.  The SII 1.5-6x42 I'd NEVER get rid of.  The other is an SI 3-9x40 that I gave to my SIL for his .22mag Win. lever action.
Tbrake12 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrake12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2009 at 14:36
I have a kahles CL 4-12x52mm on MEDIUM Leupold Rings and leupold bases on my Rem 700 classic 300 mag. Tried a 50mm Leupold scope and it hit the barrel with these rings. Another reason I prefer euro scopes, the outside diameter is thinner in relation to the lens diameter.  In other words, you can have a bigger scope on lower rings...
Todd
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboykjb5.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2009 at 07:16
I decided to go with a SII 3-9x42 on the 300 savage and i 'm not to sure about it yet cause it seems like it's not tracking quit right.
I was sighting it in the other day and got it to 9:00 on the edge off the bullseye @ 100 yds so i figured i'd move it 2 clicks to the right to put it dead center, so i moved it 2 clicks right then thumped on the scope pretty hard just to make sure then shot and i hit about 4 inches high and 1.5 inches left 3 shots so that made me a little mad then adjusted it back to dead center of the bullseye and left it alone. The next day i shot it again and put 2 shots @ 9:00 on edge of bullseye again so i moved it 1 click right shot and didnt move so i moved it 1 more click thumped it pretty hard and it shot about 1.5 inches right so i moved it 2 clicks back and hit the same 2 holes @ 9:00 so just left it alone.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic