OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX-3L why arent they popular?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX-3L why arent they popular?
    Posted: November/02/2009 at 05:05

Looking at buying a leupold for my 264wm. The new VX-3L dont SEEM to be very popular. Are they tooo dear for what they are? Are they a gimick?

Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 06:42
Leupold has had a good run in the market for many years.With forums like this,many avid shooters voice there opinions.Many complaints are that Leupolds are over priced and over rated.Yes have have owned Leupold scopes for many years and where I lived was the only scope brand being sold in the local gun store.Now with large sporting goods stores like Cabelas that offer many different brands Leupold needed to play catch up.The new VX3 is a nice scope,I would place it along a Zeiss Conquest.The 264 wm is a hot round!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 07:47
Limited accessories could be a reason. The strange shape of the lens does not lend itself to common add ons like Butler Creek lens covers.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 09:18
It looks "funky" and has a high price tag that makes people compare to Zeiss.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 09:25
It sits in a market heavily populated by very, very good scopes.

I hear good things, but have moved away from Leupold due to tactical scope failures in my hands.  I'm not a "second-chance" kinda guy.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 13:17
I have a VX-3 4.5x14x40 30mm on a Kimber 270WSM.. I like the scope alot, but the VX3L , I have to agree with Silver it looks Funky to me as well.. I should be a little more open minded I suppose... I own a Zeiss3.5x10x44, a Swaro American 3x10x42, Kahles American 3x9x42 and a very old warn out 3x9x40 Burris....I like all my scopes, but if I were to buy just one good scope I would buy a new Swarovski Z5 or Z6.......My next scope will either be the 3x9x42 SS or Trijicon 2.5x10x56 or 5x20x50... All the scopes Ive mentioned have really great clarity minus the Burris.........There are so many nice scopes its hard for one to make up there mind, I know....I am no scope professional, but I would say just do not buy anything really cheap............

Edited by JF4545 - November/02/2009 at 13:18
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 13:33
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Limited accessories could be a reason. The strange shape of the lens does not lend itself to common add ons like Butler Creek lens covers.

Leupold thinking "outside the box", I think it's a pretty good idea that's still a little ahead of it's time.

For me, I'm with Lile that I would be more concerned about accessories. Where we hunt I'm using a sun shade a lot, when we get a little rain on go the Butler Creeks.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Ant264 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 15:43
Randall45 thanks for the rap. I will get the Leupold 6.5-20*40. Its so hard these days with all the choices going round.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 17:08
I've had fairly good luck with Leupolds and while the VX3L looks different it is actually quite practical allowing a large objective to mount closer to the barrel to provide a better cheekweld.  It is a solution to a very real problem irregardless of how it may look different it works.   The issue with objective size is related to  how bright a scope is in low light. The larger the objective the more magnifiication it will allow you to use in low light.  A 6x42 has a 7mm exit eye pupil  and is bright.  a 50 mm objective will be just as bright at 7 X and a 56 mm objective will be just as bright at 8X.   So if you are buying a 6.5-20x ? you can benefit from having the larger objective and the L models will lay closer to the barrel than the competiition with the same size objective. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 17:24
I can honestly say that to date, I have not owned a rifle I dislike enough to put a VX-L on. Leupold's solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 17:38
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I can honestly say that to date, I have not owned a rifle I dislike enough to put a VX-L on. Leupold's solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one, Roy.
 We can argue about how important it is to have a large objective lens, and we could argue about how important it is to mount a scope low to the bore for various reasons, but if there's ANY other way to achieve both, (other than grinding a huge divot out of your rifle barrel), I'd sure like to hear about it...
 I've used the VX-L and it is a VERY nice riflescope.
( I don't particularlycare for the looks either, though.)
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 17:54
I have looked through the last generation -L scopes and it was a nice image.  I trust that mechanically it is fine.

But even if it was only $125.00 I would not mount that hideous looking thing on one of my rifles.  And I am usually a function over form kind of guy.

That sucker is ugly, and I bet they disappear from the product line.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 18:06

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 18:31
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I'll have to disagree with you on this one, Roy.

We can argue about how important it is to have a large objective lens, and we could argue about how important it is to mount a scope low to the bore for various reasons, but if there's ANY other way to achieve both, (other than grinding a huge divot out of your rifle barrel), I'd sure like to hear about it...

I've used the VX-L and it is a VERY nice riflescope.

( I don't particularlycare for the looks either, though.)

My argument is really pretty simple. With a 40-42mm obj. scope set at 6-7x you will have more exit pupil than you will ever need or even use under any big game hunting situation. At 6-7x you will have all the magnification you will ever need for big game at any reasonable range. A 40-42 still allows for good mounting height. The 40-42mm scopes are lighter than the VX-L. They are less expensive than the VX-L. They are much nicer looking (my personal opinion). Those are just my opinions and some facts as to why I said Leupold answered a question never asked. Your "argument" sounds like it's based on the need for both. My argument is the opposite.

Edited by Roy Finn - November/02/2009 at 18:37
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 19:38
Someone must like them they sure seem to disappear off samplelist if you get one in a 4.5-14 or 6.5-20.  I'd buy one but it would be the one with target knobs and a 30mm tube.   10x56 is a 5.6mm exit eye pupil  so fairly bright and there is a lot of difference between what you see at 6x and 10x. You really have to have a low light use need for it to make sense, hogs or coyotes at night etc.  Im not saying its the ideal all around hunting scope but it has its place and it probably will eventually go away because it looks different.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 21:25

My argument is really pretty simple. With a 40-42mm obj. scope set at 6-7x you will have more exit pupil than you will ever need or even use under any big game hunting situation. At 6-7x you will have all the magnification you will ever need for big game at any reasonable range. A 40-42 still allows for good mounting height. The 40-42mm scopes are lighter than the VX-L. They are less expensive than the VX-L. They are much nicer looking (my personal opinion). Those are just my opinions and some facts as to why I said Leupold answered a question never asked. Your "argument" sounds like it's based on the need for both. My argument is the opposite.

Well, I guess that would be a pretty good case against the very existence of any scope with more than 6 or 7X magnification, or an objective bigger than 42 mm... 
 I'm sure a that at least a few guys need more magnification, larger objectives and low mounting abilities for some uses. Just because you and I don't, does not mean that there isn't any use nor "need" for such.

Edited by RONK - November/02/2009 at 21:27
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 22:07
Any of the Leupolds are actually good scopes, they are just priced far too much for what you get. A VX3 should by all means be a $320-$380 scope ( I am using the 3.5-10x50 as example).They perform well, but there are better scopes out there for the same money.
 Warranty is excellent, but I would wager they make enough off each sale to give a full lifetime replacement anyway.
I own some Leupy's and am satisfied with them, but stopped buying when I noticed a trend several years ago of the price going up $30-$40 every year on a noticeable scale. I don't think costs have gone up at the same rate as priceing. My costs certainly have not with the exception of the Euro vs the Dollar.
And lest I am terribly wrong, Leupold maintains that their dealers follow a priceing matrix to keep from starting a major headache with price wars.
With that said, I think the VX2 is the better bargain. These deteriorating eyes can't see much of a difference between it and the VX3. 

Edited by HuntMaster - November/02/2009 at 22:12
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 22:27
Ron, I see your point and it's valid for some I guess. I guess my point was basically that as light fades your ability (or at least mine anyway) to shoot at stuff decreases and so do the distances. That was really my point for less magnification needed. Perhaps more of a human element rather than the equipment if that makes any sense.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 18:28
 No Roy, I know where you're coming from, and generally agree with your observations.

I guess I just like to see the Red-Blooded AMERICAN Leupold engineers get some well-earned credit for thinking outside the box and coming up with a design that makes a great deal of sense in theory (and works pretty well in practice). It had to be extremely  tough to design the grinding equipment to shape those lenses (compared to round ones), and to build the tubes and housings to accomodate them. I think they did it very well, judging by the exceptional quality of the ones I've seen.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 19:20
They are still UGLY...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic