OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New here. New scope suggestions.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noxpredor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New here. New scope suggestions.
    Posted: November/01/2009 at 20:38

As it reads I am new here. I am in the market for a new scope this years as i think i finaly wore mine out, it wont stay on target more than 3-4 shot. I currently am shooting a Remington 7400 chambered in 30-06. My scope is a Redfield Widefield 3x9 that I have used for oh I dont know 15 years or so... It is mounted with Weaver 1" scope mounts that have the nifty high mounts so i can still use my iron sights for close up work. I hunt in East Texas where the cover varies greatly from 10 yards out to 600 yards, hunting white tails and hogs. I have been looking around here and there and think i would like to get something in the 12-14 top end range this seems a little high powered but as i mentioned some shots do get out there and I have killed several does around the 500 yard mark though not easily or comfortably. I am too broke to go with leupold and was looking at the Nikon Bushmasters. Any comments or suggestions? Not stuck on any one brand but would like to keep the price at or below the 500$ mark.

Thanks in advance

Nick

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 20:52
I suggest you go up just a little in price.  Check these out on the SWFA sample list...

10906 Zeiss 3.5-10x44 Conquest 5214249971, Silver finish, Rapid Z 600 reticle, 1" tube, fast focus eye piece, like new condition, lifetime transferable warranty. $917.00 $649.95
10908 Zeiss 3.5-10x44 Conquest 5214249972, Silver finish, Rapid Z 800 reticle, 1" tube, fast focus eye piece, like new condition, lifetime transferable warranty. $917.00 $649.95
You will not regret one of these.
Welcome to the OT. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Noxpredor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noxpredor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 21:05
OUCH! Like I said I would like to keep the price at or under 500. I also was looking at the bushnell elite 3200.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 21:19
I am not a fan of the 3200's.  If you are unwilling to go the bit extra for the Conquest, and you are looking at a Bushnell, I suggest the 4200.  It is a much better scope and can be had for still within your budget.  You could also check out the Nikon Monarchs on the sample list.  There are a number in your budget that would be very good.  Nikon glass is very good.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 05:55
  WELCOME to OT,Nick!

I've got got one of these on a .270 Win.  VERY NICE!

As Kb says,these are NICE also:

Or these:

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 06:17
Shop around you have better choices,the Nikon Buckmaster is a good scope but you can buy better optics like a Sightron S2 or Bushnell 4200 for under $250.If you can find any discontinued Weaver Classic Extremes that should be very useful for low light hog hunting.The fire fly reticle is a nice feature on the 3200.
Noxpredor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noxpredor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 07:35
Is the firefly reticle a lit reticle? I want to say if so they are illegal for hunting use in Tx. Could be wrong though.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 07:49
It's a luminous reticle ..like some glow in the dark watch hands
Noxpredor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noxpredor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 07:52
Well my curiousity was peaked so here is the ruling straight off TP&W website:

• Artificial light of any form that casts or reflects a beam of light onto or otherwise illuminates a game animal or bird may not be used as an aid to hunt, except battery-powered scoping devices that project a light or dot only inside the scope; pin sight lights on archery equipment; or laser sighting devices used by legally blind hunters, or hunters who have a documented permanent physical disability that prevents them from using traditional firearm sighting devices.
  • So there you have it they are kosher.. Learned something new today....
    magshooter1 View Drop Down
    Optics Professional
    Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 10:50
    Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x42 and 50 <$500, Nikon Monarch 3x12x42 <$500, Nikon Monarch 4x16x42x <$500
    Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
    mochicken View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochicken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 08:08
    i have the firefly.  its a heavy plex with fine cross hairs.  the fine hairs remain always black.  the heavy plex is normally black as well.  however if you shine a light into the scope for a few seconds the heavy plex glows green like the hands of a watch.    the charge lasts a couple hours before the heavy plex gradually returns to black.   I think its very helpful and since you have the choice to charge it or not, what the heck.  best of both worlds.
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic