OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA Hunting Scope Request

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA Hunting Scope Request
    Posted: November/01/2009 at 00:39
Curious if a scope geared more heavily towards hunting rather than tactical is a possibility.

SS build-quality along the lines of

1.5-5x28 or 2-7x32 (maybe 3-9x) or a fixed 4x
approx. 10 ounce weight
approx. 11 inches in length
lower profile adjustment knobs
modified #4 reticle similar to the Meopta 4b reticle as seen here http://swfa.com/Meopta-2-8x42-Artemis-2000-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P7984.aspx
standard SS level glass
another that is SS Variable or HD level glass

I know the regulars here who hunt fairly often would probably snatch one up in a jiffy as would other SS tactical scope fans.

What do the rest of you think about this?  What would be some features or specs you guys would want?

I know people hunt with the SS 10x42 and the SS 3-9 is right there for dual-use....but I think this would be a different animal.  This will give a great option to the guys who want a more traditional hunting scope, who currently have no desire for a tactical/target style of scope. 

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 01:09
While we hope to  eventually see additions to the Super Sniper line I suspect they will be tactical in nature but useable for hunting also.  Feel free to make suggestions on what kind of scopes you guys are  wanting that you do not feel are currently available as I'm sure Chris is open to some suggestions if there is enough interest.   As for a fixed 4x   I suggested a fixed 6x a few years back and I think the 3-9 fairly well covers both since it is FFP.  The 3-9 is really a nice hunting scope as well as tactical and I put one on my son Preston's rifle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Preston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 01:14

Its a good scope!

"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace."
Thomas Payne, Revolutionist
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 05:22
 Well if we are making a wish list I would vote for something in the 5-20x50. With a thin cross hair and a dot, similar to the Trijicon accu point (illum. without batteries). With the SS logo on it it would have to mean quality. I think that would cover just about everyones needs, target,hunting,plinking.
 After being tested by a few on here, I would be one of the first to bite and mount on the new 25 06 that is on it's way here.

Edited by rjtfroggy - November/01/2009 at 05:24
froggy
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 07:18
3-12, or 4.5-14x 40, or 44. Low profile target knobs, SS glass. plex reticle, M.O.A. adjustments. Nobody makes a high quality one without a huge price tag.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 08:01
i've hunted with portable long range guns the last few years and the part i've really grown to dislike are the high turrets. a low profile turret, to me, would be a real blessing and is pretty much a must have for my next scope on any carry gun.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 08:42
 This comes pretty close: http://swfa.com/IOR-4x32-Hunting-Rifle-Scope-P6742.aspx

Edited to add: -(within or at least close to the O.P.'s listed size/weight specs...)

Edited by RONK - November/01/2009 at 10:37
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 09:51

I like that scope a lot RONK, the Leupold 6x scope that Urimaginaryfrnd has often recommended is also pretty close to what I was thinking ( I think training and practice will allow the use of the 6x magnification at close range)...the Meopta linked to show the reticle would be right also there if it was lighter and less expensive.  Their own fixed 6x with the 4b reticle is right there with the Leupold 6x but more bulky.

I think the SWFA hunting scope series would sell like crazy though, internet word of mouth spreads like wildfire. I'm guessing they could sell as many of them in 2 years as the SS tactical scopes in 8 years.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2009 at 13:04

I would agree that this would be a big seller.

My desires for this kind of scope would be as follows.

1.  I agree with Dave Wilson that the high turrets make many of today’s scopes difficult for field use.  A low profile target turret like the Weaver V16 or the Bushnell 6500's would be much more user friendly.

2. A 2-10 or 3-12 would be perfect IMO as it would allow for a wide field of view for close in timber style shots while still providing enough power to make long distance shots.  The top end at 10-12xx is a nice stopping point IMO as it minimizes issues with mirage/heat waves.  Also, parallax adjustment is mostly unnecessary which reduces cost, turret footprint, and overall weight. 

3.  I would like to see the SS series in a hash mark style mil reticle in place of the dots.  Of course with mil adjustments just to keep things simple.  Or a MOA style reticle similar to the Nightforce NP series with MOA turrets would be fine.  I hear a lot of folks talking about how a 2MOA hash mark reticle for both windage and elevation would be nice.  I don't think there are any on the market especially in the price range we are talking about.  The NPR2 is real nice but the windage marks are 5 MOA which is too far apart for proper ranging or windage hold off.  The NPR1 fixes this but adds 1 MOA marks which gets a bit cluttered for me.  Also keeping the upper portion of the reticle clear of any reticle marks is a nice feature for a hunting scope in my opinion. 

If it was decided to not go with as much of a tactical style reticle then I would at least like to see windage marks on the main reticle line for some basic windage hold off options for those longer shots.

4.  I personally like the idea of having a 32-44mm objective as an option as well.  Especially if the power levels listed above are maintained, allowing for ample exit pupil size in low light conditions.  In my experience 50’s and larger are mostly unneeded for big game hunting situations but they do bring with them heavier weights and they have to be mounted higher which causes issues with good cheek weld. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic