OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Muzzeloader scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muzzeloader scope?
    Posted: October/30/2009 at 20:25
Will any scope work on a muzzeloader, or does a muzzeloader need a muzzeloader scope?  The reason I ask is I seem to be having trouble zeroing in my muzzeloader.  I put a Kahles 2-7x36 on it.
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 20:34
Originally posted by brav302 brav302 wrote:

Will any scope work on a muzzeloader, or does a muzzeloader need a muzzeloader scope?  The reason I ask is I seem to be having trouble zeroing in my muzzeloader.  I put a Kahles 2-7x36 on it.
Are you sure it's your scope? Did you have a different scope on it before the Kahles and it shot good with the other scope? Or is this a brand new setup?
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 20:45
Its a new setup.  I'm trying some differant bullets tomorrow.  The scope worked great on my 308.  I was just woundering if there might be something with the recoil causing it. 
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 20:49
I wouldn't think so. Is this your first time with a ML. You just have to work up a load that the gun likes. Different types of bullets, bullet grain, grains of powder. Sometimes they can be a headache.
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 20:53
Will the gun group at all or is it throwing the bullets all over the paper. Without a group there is no since in adjusting the scope until a group is achieved.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 00:29
Any scope will work but there is an advantage to one with a balistic reticle as the trajectory is fairly radical.  I have a Nikon Omega on mine and they make a new model:
Nikon 1.65-5x36 Omega Muzzleloader Riflescope BDC 250 Nikon 1.65-5x36 Omega Muzzleloader Riflescope
Stock # - NIK8442
  • Matte
  • BDC 250
  • 1"
$239.95 
Add Nikon 1.65-5x36 Omega Muzzleloader Riflescope to Cart
I have a couple of suggestions to make this less painful.  Use Barnes sabbots preferably the 250 grain with the blue plastic tip but any of them will shoot a lot better than the competitions bullets.  Powder charges in modern rifles can go from  80 grains to 150 grains of powder.  If you use pre formed pellets  two pellets is 100 grains and three pellets is 150 grains.  I have one rifle that will group well with 150 grains but all of the other muskets I have shot did much better with 120 grains of loose Tripple 7  FFG powder.  I would try some at 100  and some at 120 and see what groups best. It is VERY important to run a wet patch then a dry patch down the bore after every shot to maintain a consistent seating depth - failure to do this will result in a pattern that looks like buckshot.   Sooner or later you will run a dry patch down the bore and it will stick there and not come out - simply pour a little powder solvent down the bore and once the patch is wet it will come right out.   Never forget to put grease on the threads of the breach plug or it will ruin the rifle.  I find that muskets shoot better after some use than they do brand new. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 07:06
Thanks for all the info.  I was shooting 240 gr hornady XTP with 2 pyrodex pellets.  Today I'm going to try 2 pyrodex pellets with 200 gr TC shock wave sabots.  At one point I shot one decent 3 shot group then they started getting all over the place.  Some off the paper.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 11:49
Are you cleaning the bore after each shot ? perhaps changed primers ( stick with muzzleloader specific 209's ) ? double checked your mounts and rings are snug ? are your pellets a couple years old  - could have absorbed moisture from storage ? What kind of muzzleloader is it ?
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 18:47
Looks like it was the bullets.  With these it will shoot holes touching at 100 yrds.
hawkman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 18:50
Good deal. Figured it had something to do with the ammo or load.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 06:29
the 1.65-5x36 Nikon Omega is THE muzzleloader scope.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 06:32
You need to be consistent. Clean the same way between shots, fire a primer between shots, put the same pressure on the bullet when seating, etc. Loose powder is almost always more accurate. Most muzzleloaders need a fouling shot before starting to group.
bigdust View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2009 at 19:35

From my experience (a good rule of thumb) the muzzleloader brand shoots the same brand ammo the most accurate (remington gun - remington ammo / knight gun - knight ammo)  Hope this helps!!!

SLUG ON...
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 09:51
have to agree with the bigdustbuster
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 18:38
I've been doing real good with a TC gun and Barnes Sabbots.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 19:00
Originally posted by bigdust bigdust wrote:

From my experience (a good rule of thumb) the muzzleloader brand shoots the same brand ammo the most accurate (remington gun - remington ammo / knight gun - knight ammo)  Hope this helps!!!

Same with mine. I have a Knight Disc Extreme and it shoots best with Barnes MZ's (same as Knight Red Hots I believe). Mine is wearing a Leupold VX III 1.75-6 heavy duplex reticle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic