OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reloader 15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reloader 15
    Posted: October/30/2009 at 16:09
Was reloading some .204 and using Reloader 15.  How temp sensitive is this powder?  Reason for asking is I'm running .5 gr over max in Hornady's manual.  Have no pressure signs, but have been running them on 60 degree days and cooler.  My concern is the 90 deg + days when we are out in dog town.  These loads have been run in Brandon's Rem 700, not my AR.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 16:36
according to their web site r15 and r-17 are supposed to be the two most temp insensitive powders they make, but i wouldnt want to guess what would happen.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 16:39
Re15 moves around alot.  I went from Varget to Re15 for 2 years as an experiment.
Went back to Varget for a couple reasons; Accuracy and to lessen the temp swing that Re15 actually shows.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 17:08
The prob is no one has varget around here.  Wanted to go that way to take some of the temp sensitivity out.  Might have to expand my search.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 17:44
i can get you some in fargo john they have a fair amount of it at scheels.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 20:09
Reloder 15 is a lot better than it was when originally introduced but I have also found that Varget is less so.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 23:28
JB, not sure I understand your post. Are you saying Varget is less temp. sensitive (I think that's what you meant) or that the quality has gone down?

SD Dog, I have gotten better groups with RE-15 but that was in the 50-60F range. Varget seems more consistent within a wide temperature range. If you can, keep your ammo in the shade and don't overheat the barrel. Any powder is going to vary, even if just a little.
Reaction time is a factor...
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 23:54
I've tried Reloader 15 in two 204-Rugers.  Both rifles liked 28.1 grains (and I believe that is near the max) with the Sierra 39 Ballistic King, using RP-Case, Rem 7 1/2 primer, seated to 2.260 COAL. 

I tested this load from 30 deg to 100 deg and I didn't have any pressure signs (hard bolt operation, bolt face marks on the case heads, flat primers (note, Remingtom 7 1/2 primers have thicker cups)).  The groups didn't change a whole lot either & I test @ 200 yards.

Early on with the 204 I tried Varget.  It shot good, it just didn't have the velocity of H4895 or Reloader 15.  FWIW, Reloader 10x and Hodgdon Benchmark (Extreme line) have a good reputation with the 204 as does H335 and WW-748 although the latter two are probably more temperature sensitive.

HTH

Edited by tjtjwdad - October/30/2009 at 23:56
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 00:37
http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/info-reloading.htm
There is some load info for .223 here but I know John Hollinger builds some 204 uppers so should have some load info.

I do not load over what the books show as max - period.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 08:28

RL15 gave me better velocity than Varget in my 6 BR,(about 50 fps) but when ambient temps rose above 70 degrees, I would get heavy (stiff) bolt lift. (with the high node load I was using) RL15 left much more powder fouling, and most guys claim when you load RL15 to the MAX, it should burn clean. That was not the case with my weapon. It burned dirty no matter what powder charge was used. They were both evenly accurate.

Edited by Blackbird - October/31/2009 at 15:49
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 09:42
have/shoot alot of 204- be really, really, careful going over with this cartridge, as I've found it very sensitive to small changes in reloading parameters. (also 17's but another topic). H335 is the best powder (velocity,ease of reloading) , but more temp sensitive. pd shooting is not critical so develop your loads on a few days previous to the high temps. have used a lot of varget in 204's but its more sensitive to variances than when used in 308, same with 15. Loads around 28 grs of h335 which easily gets you over 4000 fps, need care on days above 100, as I've had blown primers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic