OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

really tough decision little help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: really tough decision little help
    Posted: October/29/2009 at 22:05
I have decided for sure on 10x for my hunting out West here. My budget is $400.00 max
competitor has Nikon Monarch 10x56 at around $230.00 then there is the Zen ED's 10x42 in around $400.00 range then I was thinking maybe I could find a better performing or as good performing Porro prism for a lot less. Or if I pay around $400.00 for a 10x56 porro I would get more low light servicability than the Zen ED Am I better off with larger optic for low light the 10x56 monarch or the smaller Zen with ED.  in the end looking for best hunting bino 10x $400.00 or less    all I can say is there are some really good binos when you include the porros as well. driving me nuts. Oh I don't mind lesser waterproofing if it will get me better view.
m_freeman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 22:12
Another thought I had was to just buy the Nikon Action 10x50 to get me through this season and save to move up to the $800-$1000 dollar range later.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 22:25
Speaking strictly from the binoculars you mention, just get the ZEN ED or ED 2and don't look back.  The only good porro that will come close to it is the Swift Audubon 8.5x44.  Monarchs are not in the same optical league as the ZEN ED.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

m_freeman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 23:14
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

Speaking strictly from the binoculars you mention, just get the ZEN ED or ED 2and don't look back.  The only good porro that will come close to it is the Swift Audubon 8.5x44.  Monarchs are not in the same optical league as the ZEN ED.
even if the optic size for the monarch is 56 vs the zen at 42? I think If I do go with the zen ed 2 where and the heck can I find em? The more I think about the zen ed 2 I probly better order before the intro price goes up.
m_freeman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 23:17
sounds like these zen ed2 are about as good as the entry zeiss conquest for $300.00 less.
Zeiss conquest 10x is the only decent binos I have ever looked through  so that is a reference for me. Any advice and wisdon appreciated. Strongly leaning towards the zen ed2
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 23:53
Why anyone wants to lug around a heavyweight 10x56 Monarch escapes me quite frankly.  The ZEN ED performs well past legal shooting hours, weighs far less than the Monarch, has a much better image, and a much better field of view.

Frankly, the Zeiss Conquest is not the optical equal of the ZEN ED.  In some aspects, the ZEN ED has optics that will challenge the very top end binoculars produced.  They are new and durability and ruggedness have yet to be defined, but they represent the best bang for the optical $$ there is at your level of budget.  Even if you ultimately decide to go to an accepted high end binocular, you will then have a ready made capable back up with the ZEN.

Get the ZEN ED here from Chris or from the Zen Ray website.

Edited by Klamath - October/29/2009 at 23:56
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

m_freeman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 00:45
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

Why anyone wants to lug around a heavyweight 10x56 Monarch escapes me quite frankly.  The ZEN ED performs well past legal shooting hours, weighs far less than the Monarch, has a much better image, and a much better field of view.

Frankly, the Zeiss Conquest is not the optical equal of the ZEN ED.  In some aspects, the ZEN ED has optics that will challenge the very top end binoculars produced.  They are new and durability and ruggedness have yet to be defined, but they represent the best bang for the optical $$ there is at your level of budget.  Even if you ultimately decide to go to an accepted high end binocular, you will then have a ready made capable back up with the ZEN.

Get the ZEN ED here from Chris or from the Zen Ray website.
then the next logical question is will the standard Zen Ed get me into thos legal hunting hours or will I need the Zen ED2 for that?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 09:26
Klamath, well said and I couldn't agree more.  M-freeman, spring for the ED2 @ app $400 from SWFA and you will not be disappointed I promise.  If you ever have issues Charles has proven he'll take care of his customers.  Let us know what you think when you look through them.

The standard ED will work I'm sure, the ED2 will make you go "Wow"!
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 10:37
You really have to have the ED and ED 2 side by side to tell the difference.  The ED 2 is a little brighter and has better contrast and has a bit more neutral color bias.   The ED has a smoother, slower focus wheel, and the ED 2 has repellent coatings.

I think too many people get far too hung up with low light performance.  I guess you will have to take me at my word here, but the ZEN ED is good enough in twilight.  If you can't tell what you need with any good 10x42, then you have no business attempting a shot.  Besides at that time of day the view from the scope, not the binocular, is what will determine either shoot or don't shoot.

If you do have some specific high twilight performance needs, then you need a specialized binocular for that specialized use.  That is something better than the Monarch 10x56 in my estimation.

Edited by Klamath - October/30/2009 at 10:51
Steve

m_freeman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 15:46
thanks for the info guys, yes you are right my scope is indeed the limiting factor.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic