OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Craig Boddington sold his soul to the devil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Craig Boddington sold his soul to the devil
    Posted: October/29/2009 at 21:01
He's been renting it to Leupold for the past few years, but it is finally sold, officially.

In this month's Guns and Ammo, he reviews the 10-40X Countersniper.  It is good for a laugh or 2, but unfortunate that many will go buy that utter garbage based on Craig's recommendation.

To those considering a Countersniper, I'd advise the following:

Take an old paper towel tube, paint it black with magic marker (idiotic white wording on the side is optional), and mount that on the rifle of choice.  It'll be a little cheaper than a Countersniper but just as serviceable.  You can even put in 2 wires for crosshairs if you want.

Subscription to G&A: gone!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 21:22
Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 02:26
I wish some-one would invent an official scope testing method that eliminates the (objective) shooter!!!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 06:02
That could be done once the test criteria is specified however, everybodies eyes are different and I truly believe the difference makes some scopes better than others for that set of eyes.  It is an impossible to eliminate variable that will skew all test results
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 06:40
I still wish some one would invent a testing method that will take these factors into account. I know you are correct in one sense Bud, but on the other hand, if you did a no-name brand test, is there some-one who would place a cheap scope above say Schmidt and Bender? I do not think so, so certain feutures must stand out to every-one.
Can one not for example use a scope as a camera lens with a special yet to be invented adaptor and then take a photograph. This photograph, shot in RAW, can be analised for all kinds of stuff. The end result may not be what all eyes see, but will be close to what 90% eyes can see. It can then seperate biasness.
If what you are saying is correct, then all the advice we give on this forum about scopes is bunkum. We can then only advise: Go to the store and look for yourself, because what I see will be different to what you see.
Sorry Bud, but this is a pet hate of mine, so I rant on!!!!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 07:35
There are things from the camera industry to test optics.  It would make for some unhappy advertisers to do so.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 07:37
Rant away Wouter, that is why we are here!

I do thing is should be very do-able, To set up an optical test bed to evaluate scopes.

Todays optic sensors far exceed the ability of human eyes.  Between all the current optical
quality control systems available and the high end optic test equipment used in fiberoptics
it should be fairly easy to test and define grade brackets into which we can sort the different quality optics available to us.  I can think of several parameters that can easily be quantified and measured by instruments hundreds of times more accurate than the human eye.  If won't be cheap for sure so the only place I would expect to see such systems would be the R&D labs of the Manufacture and maybe a few colleges.

Then again, it might only take one or two sensors and some very fancy programming.  Look at any home improvement store or paint supplier and they have a computer than can match any color from a small sample.  and this done in seconds. 20+ years ago matching paint colors was a art that took years of pratice.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kavall View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kavall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 09:12
Certainly it's possible to use technology to measure an optic for all sorts of things. But what does it accomplish in the end? You have defined variables that could be published. These variables are meaningless until you learn what variables at what values makes a good scope to you. For example, my vision has a lack of sensitivity towards the UV spectrum. When looking through optics, I find some do a great deal of cleaning up the "blur" at dawn and dusk for me. HOWEVER they are not always the larger objectives and more expensive optics. I would in fact rank some cheaper optics higher in clarity for my eyes. My father owns a pair Lecia Ultravids which are so bright and so clear, on a sunny day, I'm wishing for an aperature adjustment to "dim" them.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work or that it wouldn't be an improvement over the current methodology of reviewing, it just will require people to learn more about what they need out of optics and shop for those qualities.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 09:36
He admits in the review that adjustments aren't perfect - but claims few are.

Chris, send him a SuperSniper.  If he likes Countersniper, he'll LOVE a SuperSniper.

Maybe his problem is frame of reference, he thinks Leupold is the pinnacle of tactical scopes.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 09:40
Zeiss uses test equipment that measures the modular transfer function, which is an indication of how much information is transmitted by the lens system in certain frequency ranges. Zeiss uses these results (and others) to taylor their products towards low light capability. There are tests that can be done at home to test camera lens as the lens is attached to the camera, and ones simply needs to vectorize the file. (Raw format). This data is then test for Fourier transforms peaks and a thing called degrees of rotation. None of the web programs can test for Wavelet transforms, which can be done using something like the Wavelet toolbox in Matlab.
However the HVS (human visual system) is non-deterministic and basic differences in physiological composition can give different results. None the less the physical parameters measured are still valid. A good example is Canons best 135 lens. Its physical measurements are just about perfect (compared across the board), but some professional photographers don't like it because it is "too edgy" and they say it "hurts their eyes".
The scope makers ability to put great glass in a mediocre assembly would skew the reviews alot, but these could be addressed as seperate individual basis.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 09:48
On another note if you can see the target a good shooter can generally hit it. Scopes aren't there to enjoy the country side-- so accurate tracking and durability should be top of the list--which puts SWFA's models way ahead of much more expensive options.
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 09:51
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

He admits in the review that adjustments aren't perfect - but claims few are.

Chris, send him a SuperSniper.  If he likes Countersniper, he'll LOVE a SuperSniper.

Maybe his problem is frame of reference, he thinks Leupold is the pinnacle of tactical scopes.
Chris would have to put him on the payroll to get a favorable review from Craig.
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 09:53
i dont know fellars, craig and chris have shared some great memories together it may be more "contractual" issues than anything.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 10:25
Yea, it might.

I was just surprised to see a man of Craig's perceived integrity hocking such a piece of garbage.

One thing that frequently gets lost in these conversations: LE and military shooters might read this review and buy the scope on recommendation, and lives can be lost due to gear malfunction - and this thing is one huge gear malfunction.
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 11:09
I'm betting they made sure to send in their best currently at the distribution point because Guns & Ammo and Boddington are very well known names.  Not sure if Mr. Boddington is an optics lover or how much he cares about their differences here and there.

It's good you canceled the G&A subscription though....I had one from 7 years old to 18 years old but the last 8 years or so I check them out at Borders now and then and it's garbage.  Maybe 9 good pages of reading if that.  Should be a $1 cost if even that.

Hopefully the wise consumer will do his internet search before purchase and that'll lead him to this site. 

The Dark Ops group sure are persistent ______ if there ever was some....they need to move on to a completely new product arena. 
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 23:17
Can't give much creedence to a magazine that recommends NcStar.
Reaction time is a factor...
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 16:07

One thing that frequently gets lost in these conversations: LE and military shooters might read this review and buy the scope on recommendation, and lives can be lost due to gear malfunction - and this thing is one huge gear malfunction.

Ummmm...I doubt any lives are at risk. Whacko  The guys that walk the walk are a bit far removed from slappin' a CounterSniper p.o.s. on top of their workpieces.

There might be a few Play Army types that get disappointed, though. The upside of it is they'll have saved enough money to buy some more sniper-y face paint or maybe even a fightin' knife for dangerous recons at the mall.

It's scary out there, 'ya know..............
"Marsupials scare me".
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 22:13
There are a lot of police departments that are cutting back. Tulsa just layed off 17 officers and grounded both Helicopters to save money. The bean counters Smokingin purchasing will find the cheapest thing that meet preconceived parameters. Advertising sales to the uninformed or in this case the un-uniformed.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 08:49
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

There are a lot of police departments that are cutting back. Tulsa just layed off 17 officers and grounded both Helicopters to save money. The bean counters Smokingin purchasing will find the cheapest thing that meet preconceived parameters. Advertising sales to the uninformed or in this case the un-uniformed.

In the case of equipment that may be used in a shooting situation, the attorneys for the city will make sure that's what's issued will be "normal and customary" equipment when compared to other cities. This protects the office and city in the event of a civil suit brought by a shooting victim and/or their family/dependents. The use of factory ammo only by police depts. is another example of this.

The attorneys have it right, in this instance.    -Al
"Marsupials scare me".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 10:50
Originally posted by Al Nyhus Al Nyhus wrote:

Ummmm...I doubt any lives are at risk. Whacko  The guys that walk the walk are a bit far removed from slappin' a CounterSniper p.o.s. on top of their workpieces.

There might be a few Play Army types that get disappointed, though. The upside of it is they'll have saved enough money to buy some more sniper-y face paint or maybe even a fightin' knife for dangerous recons at the mall.

It's scary out there, 'ya know..............

Actually, more LE guys than you know aren't "gun guys."  I know of one department shooter who bought the Countersniper because of this review.  He doesn't know much about guns or optics, and he replaced an old Leupold on his duty .308.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic