OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Coming soon to a range... somewhere

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coming soon to a range... somewhere
    Posted: October/29/2009 at 19:25
My wife, bless her heart, phoned me tonight to tell me that a scope arrived from SWFA.  A 10x42 HD Super Sniper... Serial number 666... .

I get home late tomorrow, but not too late to mount and boresight.  I've been needing to try out that AP ammo, anyway...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 19:41

I'm not superstitious or nothin but ............................................................................666!!

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 19:49
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

I'm not superstitious or nothin but ............................................................................666!!

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 02:24

Nice bro, waiting for the sight in and range report.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 03:46
Number of The Debil....Halloween tomorrow.......Devil
........Shocked
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 04:53
Devil  I bet Chris went back and personaly picked that one out...Roll on Floor Laughing

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 08:32
thats beyonds funnyLaugh
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 14:39
I hope to put it to good use...

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 14:48
dont forget the holy water!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 14:49
Crap! That reminds me, I got a pocket full of buisness cards from the MG shoot of guys that sell  AP for Elvira. Sorry no loaded match stuff, just match projectiles. PM me an address to send them to, and they'll be on the way.

Lynn
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 15:55
Thunbs Up
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
spinner08 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 21:27
Hope that it doesnt knock its self off zero when you got to shoot something with a serial number like that
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 10:46
Well, things have not gone as well as hoped... the airplane was significantly delayed for mechanical problems (as was the one at the gate next door... kind of creepy) so I got home very late.  I highly commend the pilots, though, one former Navy, one former AF.  They really had to do "some of that pilot stuff" to get us here.  Winds were crazy, very near the aircraft limits, and it was the roughest ride I have ever been on... that is saying a lot.  Lesser pilots would have gone to an alternate airport, but they KNEW their stuff, actually KNEW how to fly the airplane, and got us in.  I congratulated them both on their excellence.  Not many of the passengers understood what took place, but it was a REAL accomplishment.  I love it when people do what they are trained to do with superior performance...  God bless 'em.  

I've looked through the scope and find the HD glass to be very good.  I got an opportunity to talk to some of the optics guys around the country the last couple of weeks and the general opinion is that the HD glass will hold up much better than ED.  ED glass, as I discussed many moons ago, is softer and more prone to scratching.  
General quick look impressions:  
The knobs are as good as any I have used.  Feel is quality.  Weight is about right, to me.  It doesn't come with a sunshade, would have preferred that.  Parallax adjustment is very nice, in the right place, for me.  Focus is very good and I really like the lock.  Power adjustment is causing me a little problem...
Overall, I love it... can hardly wait to get it mounted and shoot with it.  I do have some family obligations I must take care of first.  Wife and daughter reminded me I have been and am going to be gone for a while and I need to devote some time to them.  

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 22:24
Were family too. Whacko
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 22:34
Roger that, but I can't say no to "the girls"...

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 11:08
Let us know how she shoots.

Frank gave it a big thumbs up, that's pretty high praise.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 18:36
Prelim to range report and review of SS 10x HD.  Some information will be duplicated in the Range Report and in the Review:

Mounted the SS10x HD on the 50 today.  Prior to mounting I checked "clicks".  There are 384 clicks in both Az and El.  That translates to 38.4 mils or approximately 132 MOA.  That is the most Az/El adjustment I have ever had on a rifle scope.  After running the turrrets through the full range of adjustment several times, the clicks are audible and tactile, very positive feel.  There is no "mushy" feel even at the very end of adjustment range.  As a matter of fact, there is no change in the feel at all.  It just ends... which, to me, is a good thing.  Implies the internals are very good...   The feel of the scope overall is quality.  It is heavy, but not too heavy and has a very solid feel to it.  I boresighted with a laser boresight, which uses a homemade fixture to fit a .30cal to .50, so I expect the boresight to be off a bit.  According to the laser it was "dead on", and I don't think I'm that lucky.  I know I'm not that good.  However I did use my Wheeler ring alignment kit (but I never stay at Holiday Inn, if I can help it) before mounting the scope. I'm going to copy a statement from Jeff (RC)... I had forgotten how much I hate vertical mount rings (Talley QR).  
Anyway, Elvira is HOT and READY.  Barring some catastrophic failure, I will be at the range bright and early tomorrow with 4 rifles... .50 BMG, .458 WinMag, .458 Lott, 7mmSTW.  Should be fun and I am definitely ready for some fun... 
The range report will be on the performance of the rifle/scope system and perhaps the other rifles as well.  The review will be directed at the SS10xHD.  
It's looking good so far...

Edited by Kickboxer - November/13/2009 at 11:46

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2009 at 13:08
I sighted in 4 rifles today, but not exactly as I intended.  I got to the range early... only two other people there.  Before I left it was reminiscent of Charlton Heston in "The Planet of the Apes"... "it's a madhouse!!!!".    What a zoo and in only about 30 minutes.  All 4 rifles have a "battlesight zero", which is good with me, but I would have preferred to get to the 200 yard range today.  
I zeroed the 7mmSTW with the Springfield Armory Gen III 6-20x56 first (change of rings to Millet Angle-Locs).  Took five rounds, last three were in one hole.  However, all my work was at 25yards today.  I never made it to the longer ranges.  Second, I zeroed the .458 WinMag using ammo that was provided with the rifle when I bought it.  It was pretty darn dead on.  I made a 4click left adjustment (this rifle wears the Pentax 4x Gameseeker) after the first round and sent 3 into the same hole dead center.  One of the guys at the range was standing looking at my target when I walked down to tape the holes and said "If I hadn't just watched you shoot this, I would say you cut that hole there."  Tomorrow I am going to try out some ammo loaded for me by our very own BigDaddy.  By now there were about 20 people at the 25yard range.  I zeroed the .458 Lott next.  1st round was a little low and right.  I adjusted the iron sight a little and next 3 rounds were about .5in low but dead center.  I called it good.  There were about 30 people at the 25 yard range now, 1/2 under 15.  Turns out the youth hunt is next weekend and they were getting calibrated.  I won't comment more than to say I think it is great that there are guys who will take on the task of taking kids to the range and then taking them hunting... negative training notwithstanding.  
Lastly, I brought out the Anzio Iron Works .50BMG with the Super Sniper 10xHD.  Lots of "oooohs and aaaahhs".  It does look pretty impressive, if I do say so.  My fixture I made for laser boresighting needs some work.  First shot was EXACTLY where the laser was... high 3.5 inches, right 3 inches.  I dialed it back and the scope is very near "mechanical zero".  I shot a few rounds and attracted about half of the crowd from the 100 yard/200 yard range.  It was way too easy, so I went to the group of kids and asked who the best shooter was.  One stepped up and I asked his father if it was OK for him to shoot the .50.  Father agreed, but the kid wouldn't shoot it.  Said he didn't want to.  I fired a couple of rounds to show him it wouldn't hurt him, but he still wouldn't shoot it.  Then I asked who was the worst shooter and a kid stepped up and said today was his first time to ever shoot.  I put him on the rifle, talked him through addressing the rifle, sighting through the scope, setting the trigger and going from safe to fire, expected recoil and turned him loose... and he hit just about 3 inches high and about a 1/4 inch left of dead center at 50 yards, about as good a shot as can be made with that rifle.  That was one happy kid and so was I.  I think he is going to be a great shooter someday and he now loves the sport more than I think anyone else on earth.  He was floating the last time I saw him.  I packed up and left the zoo shortly after that, but I had a great day.  That one shot was worth the whole trip to me.  If nothing else had gone well, it still would have been one of the best range days I've ever had.  
 I didn't get to do much with the SS, other than shoot the 50 with it on there.  The scope adjusts easily, accurately, quickly.  It "felt" good and I have great confidence in it.  The glass is VERY good.  I look forward to shooting with it again soon, but have to get to the range even earlier so I can avoid the "throng".  That many people hauling rifles around makes me "antsy".  Especially when I see how they shoot.  I would bet a lot that this session is all the shooting over 1/2 of them do every year.  
Apologies for the brevity and lack of real detail.  It was way to easy at 25 yards to have much to write.  The kid was the high point.  
I have to go stack hay... 

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 08:43

Great job KB, It sounds like you have brightend the lives arounf you as always. KMP on the 458 ammo. I'm chomping at the bits to see how it works in your rifle.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2009 at 08:54
Nice report and great that you called this kid forward. He will remember it for a long time!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic