OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

257 Weatherby Barnes 80 gr. factory load.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 257 Weatherby Barnes 80 gr. factory load.
    Posted: October/29/2009 at 11:24
The 257 weatherby factory load with the Barnes 80 gr. tipped trx bullet goes 3875 fps. At this speed will it still retain near 100 pecent of its weight and double its diameter in game at close range? If it loses pedals the wound channel would be smaller in width from that point on.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 20:00
The  permanent wound channel may be smaller, but the hydrolic  effects of that round are going to be amazing! I am also going to say that weight retention is going to depend on the amount of bone encountered.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 20:30
  I agree!
 That's got to be pretty devastating to most thin-skinned game regardless of whether any petals break off. I wouldn't want to run just ANY bullet that fast (in a deer or elk load), for fear of disintegration on impact and subsequent shallow penetration, but the TSX will penetrate. Also, at 3875 FPS, the temporary wound cavity will be very substantial, as Billyburl2 noted.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 20:47

Thanks, it is about the fastest big game load I know of.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 20:54
i can think of a faster one but i wouldnt shoot anything in the body with it. obviously thats a hand load too. not anything you could buy off a shelf.

125gr .308dia 300rum 125gr of n165 3972fps 4370ftlbs at the muzzle.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 23:17
That sounds like a barrel burning S.o.b.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Black n Tan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black n Tan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 23:53
From my experience with the 85 grain X bullet in a 257 Weatherby, you will lose the petals and keep about 75% of your wieght. You will have a flat, square piece of copper about
3/8" wide in the front.
I recovered one bullet from a large buck. Long story short, I quit using them after that. Very little blood and wasnt a quick kill. Yes it did penetrate, but there wasnt much damage like you see from other bullets in the chest cavity. I went to the Accubonds and was very impressed. Had one just out of bow range and that doe was DOA in the shoulder. Maybe you will have better luck with Barnes than I did.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 07:16
Thanks Black and Tan, that is very useful information. I think I will use the Accubonds then. The Weatherby factory load with the 110 gr. should get over 3400 fps. in a 24 inch barrel and retain more energy at long range than the barnes. The 257 Weatherby is very hard on barrels but it should give me 500 accurate shots and I will never fire near that many shots out of it in my life. With my rifle sighted in with 110 Accubonds I could probably use the factory loads in 115 gr. without much change in poi. I might even be able to use 100 gr. and 120 gr.  factory loads without much change. I think the 80 gr. load would not shoot to the same poi. Do you have experience with where different bulet weights hit in the 257 Weatherby?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 08:10
i personally wouldnt use a bullet lighter than 100gr for deer out of any .257 cal. as long as you dont sit there and fire round after round the .257 wby will give you many years of service. letting the barrel cool between strings is key with hot magnums.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 15:28
Originally posted by Black n Tan Black n Tan wrote:

From my experience with the 85 grain X bullet in a 257 Weatherby, you will lose the petals and keep about 75% of your wieght. You will have a flat, square piece of copper about
3/8" wide in the front.
I recovered one bullet from a large buck. Long story short, I quit using them after that. Very little blood and wasnt a quick kill. Yes it did penetrate, but there wasnt much damage like you see from other bullets in the chest cavity. I went to the Accubonds and was very impressed. Had one just out of bow range and that doe was DOA in the shoulder. Maybe you will have better luck with Barnes than I did.
 Well, I hate to judge any bullet/ load based on only one incident, but having said that, Black and Tan's one real world experience with that bullet is probably worth much more than all my speculation is without my actually having used it. I will reconsider my expectations of that bullet's performance pending further testimonials...

trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 17:00
I just loaded some 110 accubonds for a buddy's Accumark .257. They came out at 3450. I tried to catch one by shooting it into a bucket of sand at 200 yards, as I wanted to see what it would look like. by the time it was over, I had sand everywhere, and no bullet! He goes hunting in three weeks, I can't wait to hear his report.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 17:27
In the 257 Weatherby I will use the 110 grain accubond factory load if it is accurate enough. I will use it on anything I would shoot with a 257 Weatherby. The 115 ballistic tip factory load  could be used on game as well if it shoots very close to the same poi. If not then I would use the 110 accubond factory load only. I was thinking about using the 80 gr. barnes factory load because of the very flat trajectory and deep penetration. After what Black n Tan told me I will use the 110 accubond factory load instead of the 80 gr. barnes factory load because it shoots almost as flat and does more damage. I really take my time at the range with a 257 Weatherby, waiting a few minutes between each shot. With the cost of Weatherby factory ammo being so high I will just use it to get sighted in or check zero. All other shots will be on game. Thanks for the good advice everyone.
Black n Tan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black n Tan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 17:29
With my reloads I noticed some powders/bullet combos were fairly close to the same POI, while other loads were way off @ 50 yards to get a shot on paper. The plan down the road is to get some loads were I could use the same powder or another bullet interchangably. Just need some time to get it done.

In response to Ronk, I too would take my results with one deer kill with a grain of salt. Very well could have been a fluke experience. 1 out of a 100 you could say. But the experience of having to track this buck with hardly no blood and then listen for the Baa-Baa sounds, it didnt set well with me to finish him off. Makes me wonder of when will be next time. I think light bullets at those velocities is a double edged sword regardless of construction.

Here is a link @ Weatherby with 257 experience with Barnes and Accubonds and others. Some guys swear by the AB's for bear in AK. Has some good pics on kills.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic