OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

MIXED REVIEWS BRING MIXED FEELING 1-4X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruthNtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MIXED REVIEWS BRING MIXED FEELING 1-4X
    Posted: October/28/2009 at 19:45
Hello all, I am new to the forum and am trying to find out what the best 1 to 1.5 - 4 to 4.5 x magnification 30mm scope is the best for around $300.00 to $325.00.  I like the Hawke Endurance 1.5 to 4.5 and this thread talked about an upcoming review of that same scope.  Does anyone have experience with the Hawke 1.5 to 4.5x Endurance?  I am looking for a good optic (replacing a cheap $60.00 Barska) that can stand some general abuse...i.e. trudging through the woods, maybe the gun bumps a tree, or even a fall from a standing position while leaned on a tree.   This will be going on either a Yugoslavian AK or a Smith and Wesson M&P 15T.  Any help will be appreciated, and any advice to stay away from certain manufacturers will be considered if you have good reason to discredit them.  I have also looked at the Konus M30 1-4  /  and the Millet Doughnut in a dot 1-4.  Look forward to seeing replies.  Robert, in TX.    Ohhh,  and most of my shots would be 250 yards and under, and the heaviest recoil from a 7.62x39 or .223.   I have read so many mixed reviews about these things (1-4X) that I can tell up from down.  One guys says this is the best (1-4x), the next says he wouldnt keep the same one around for a spare nut cracker! :)  THIS POST EXISTS ON THE RIFLE SCOPE AREA AS WELL AS I WAS NOT SURE WHICH WAS MORE APPROPRIATE
Your rights, use them or loose them!
TruthNtime View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruthNtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 19:51

Ohh, I wanted to say ahead of time... Please dont tell me about $1500 optics that will blow the ones I have named away... I have looked at and drooooled over those but can not afford much more than $325.00.  I know you get what you pay for, and I just need a good no nonsense optic that can survive intermideate use and abuse.   Thanks guys, I dont mean to be rude but I have seen alot of these thread's go off onto other subjects quick. I really do appreciate any firsthand knowledge of the listed optics or others you know of in these ranges.   Robert.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruthNtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 20:03
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=461181
This is a link to a site called ar15.com  I just found this looking for 1-4 scopes.
The people at this forum are talking about a scope that has a 1-4 illuminated scope at a price of 119.99.  At that price I would expect junk honestly, but they seem pretty enthusiastic about it.  If anyone knows anything about Primary Arms Equipment please post a response.  Also, are the folks at ar15 considered knowledgeable?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 20:33
My advice: steer clear of the $100 wonder-optic: you get what you pay for.

In that price range, I would recommend looking at Bushnell 3200 1.5-4.5 or the Millett DMS.

Maybe even a Vortex Viper - but it is 2-7X.

Many at AR15 know stuff, but be wary, many mall ninja's and paintballers around too.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruthNtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 00:15
I kinda felt that way about that scope, the "wonder scope".   I am really just stuck between the Konus 1-4 / the millet 1-4 / and the hawke endurance 1.25-4.5.  I wish there was a clear winner..... price suggests that the Hawke is the better of the group.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 01:20
I have a Bushnell Trophy 1-4 with illuminated #4 and I like it for what it is.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruthNtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 08:14
Thanks for the reply.  How much was your 1-4 Trophy?  Do you think that it would hold up to hunting in the mountains, say if I slipped with the gun in hand and the whole unit took a good jarring?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 09:45
I have owned the Millett, it was a good scope for $200.

I hear there are quality issues with Millett right now, I'd go with the Bushnell, they have been consistentperformers for a long time.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruthNtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 10:45
I am considering the bushnell, but I have to wait on the review by (sorry I forgot his name)
the gentleman that has the darth vador costume guy as his avatar :)  He has a Hawke 1.25-4.5 that he will be reviewing.   The endurance line from hawke uses Japanese Glass and has a fine reticle with illuminated center dot similar to the bushy.   Thanks again for the recomendation, I am narrowing it down.
Robert.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 11:18
Koshkin, is the screen name, optics are his game.

Edited by lucytuma - October/29/2009 at 11:19
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 11:30
TruthNtime, in answer to your question about the Trophy.

In Canada I paid about $140 for mine.  I use it on a 44 carbine and dog with it everyday through heavy brush so it has not been babied.  Still working ok after 4 years of fairly rigorous use.
God save the Empire!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruthNtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 15:02

(((TruthNtime, in answer to your question about the Trophy.

In Canada I paid about $140 for mine.  I use it on a 44 carbine and dog with it everyday through heavy brush so it has not been babied.  Still working ok after 4 years of fairly rigorous use. )))

Good to know,  thats just the type of unit I want, one I dont have to think about :)
Thanks for your experience.
Robert
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruthNtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 15:03
Thank you for the info on his name :)  I can remember Koshkin!  I cant wait to hear how that scope runs for him. 
Robert.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 02:34
Tag.

I'll be chiming in with some suggestions soon.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruthNtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 11:59
Coool, thanks.
BamaChris View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BamaChris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 15:55
I have the Konus 1-4 and the Millett 1-4. I would pick the Millett. I don't like the target turrets on the Konus. They lock in place, but stick out a bit.  For this type of optic, you will set it and leave it alone. I also prefer the red illumination in the Millett over the blue in the Konus. The Millett is on my calling rifle (20" AR) and has seen a good bit of field use. So far it has held up pretty well, although the windage knob had a problem with the indicator ring (or whatever it's called) coming off. No big deal as it just snaps back in and the turret cap protects it from coming off in the field. This did not effect the function of the scope. The Milletts also show up on the sample list from time to time. There is one on there right now for $189 I think. Either scope in a Burris PEPER or the SWFA SSALT mount (same thing). will be perfect on your S&W, and will be under $300 for the whole rig.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 18:55
Originally posted by TruthNtime TruthNtime wrote:

I am considering the bushnell, but I have to wait on the review by (sorry I forgot his name)
the gentleman that has the darth vador costume guy as his avatar :)  He has a Hawke 1.25-4.5 that he will be reviewing.   The endurance line from hawke uses Japanese Glass and has a fine reticle with illuminated center dot similar to the bushy.   Thanks again for the recomendation, I am narrowing it down.
Robert.

I think we ran him off..........
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruthNtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 18:58
Thanks for that review and suggestion, I think I am now leaning millet!  I have changed my mind about the weapon it will be mounted on however, it will end up on a Yugo M70 with a low mount.  I dont think the recoil would be an issue, I have the Jtac compensator and its smooth sailing.  Thanks again for the info. 
Robert.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruthNtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2009 at 18:59
Nahh,  just sitting at work reading ,  been busy though :)
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 16:29
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Originally posted by TruthNtime TruthNtime wrote:

Robert.

I think we ran him off..........

Not quite.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic