OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NEW LEUPOLD VX3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW LEUPOLD VX3
    Posted: October/28/2009 at 17:21
I have always wanted to buy a Leupold but have always passed because I know there are better or equal scopes for the same money. My question is are the new VX 3 models with the improvements worth the price compared to the Zeiss and Elite 4200? Ive read the new VX 3 are optically on par with the Conquest. Im not sure about that but are they at least equal to the Bushnell Elite 4200? Leupolds would be hard to beat for size and weight and looks and customer service.
     I found a new LEUP0LD VX3 2.5-8X36 (PLEX) MATTE BLACK for $375.00 shipped. I am tempted but wondering if Im still better off just getting a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 with plex.
Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 19:17
  a friend asked me to test his gun for him, a very nice custom 300wsm with a vx-3 4-14. with me driving it was almost a one hole gun at 100, a good bench shooter would probably shoot one hole with it. once sighted in, i performed a box test. i shoot a diamond so i'm cranking on both turrets every shot. after 12 shots, which had both turrets turned 10 verticle and 5 horizontal moa between each shot, i had 4 groups that were almost one hole each. passed the box test with flying colors. glass was very good. all in all i was very impressed with the scope.
   i've not been a big fan of Leupold's the last few years , but i would put the new vx-3's a step ahead of the 4200's and Conquest.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 20:09
Thats good to hear. Im sure it is optically all I would need for deer hunting as long as its equal to the 4200 Elite and I know the Customer Service is great. Is the standard plex reticle in the Leupold the same as the duplex in the 4200 Elite or are the outer posts thinner? As long as their the same as the Bushnell that would be fine. I figure if I dont like them I can send to Leupold for a Heavy Plex or a Post and Duplex installed.   Also does the Eye relief change much from the lowest power setting to the highest setting? I know the older ones changed a lot but have heard the newer ones didnt vary as much.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 21:28
Originally posted by Dave Wilson Dave Wilson wrote:

i've not been a big fan of Leupold's the last few years , but i would put the new vx-3's a step ahead of the 4200's and Conquest.

I'm curious as to why?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 23:15
I think the new VX3 is on par with any of the scopes in their price range. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 08:18
A step ahead of the Conquest... I wouldn't say that much but I do agree it is a step ahead of the Elite and very close to the Zeiss possibly right on par with it.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 09:18
Obviously, I guess we are just talking optics again?
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 09:37

I was posting all spring and summer here trying to figure out what to put on my new .30-06 mtn. rifle.  Zeiss 2.5-8x32, Nikon Monarch 2-8x32, Elite 4200 3-9x40, VX-3 2.5-8x36, I kept on going round and round.  Went with the VX-3 finally because of the "upgrades" VX-III to VX-3.  It is a good scope but when you figure in how it matches up with the 700 mtn rifle it stands out to me.  I had an idea of how it would pair up before I bought, because my dad has a Vari-X III 2.5-8 on a .270 mtn rilfe I sold to him about 10 years ago.  Anyway I still would like to try a Zeiss 2.5-8x32 even though the VX-3 has performed excellent.  Lots of good scopes in this price range I believe.  Tough to go wrong with alot of these scopes. 

Edited by bagderRed - October/29/2009 at 09:42
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 09:55
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Obviously, I guess we are just talking optics again?
Roy even based solely on optics the Zeiss and The Leupy are close. A lot closer then the VX-III.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 12:51
Ok, is the Leupold duplex basically the same as the Bushnell Elite duplex or are the outer posts on the Leupold thinner? I like heavier reticles but I can work with the Plex like the Bushnells or Weaver Grand Slams have.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 17:52

I'm curious as to why?
i was just more impressed with the repeatability/tracking with the Lupy. i've tested a couple Zeiss and 4200's and didn't get acceptable results with either. i liked the turrets on the Lupy better and would say the glass is every bit as good. that's why.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 18:00

I'm curious as to why?

i was just more impressed with the repeatability/tracking with the Lupy. i've tested a couple Zeiss and 4200's and didn't get acceptable results with either. i liked the turrets on the Lupy better and would say the glass is every bit as good. that's why.

Thanks for the reply and I'm actually glad to see that there is another person besides me that places importance on function, not just the view. I had actually switched to the 4200's from the VX III's because I felt they were more durable and tracked better than the VX III's. With the improvements to the new VX3, they are back on my radar screen for future consideration.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 18:20
 With the improvements to the new VX3, they are back on my radar screen for future consideration. [/QUOTE]
 i'm pretty much thinking the same way. my buddy had a Swaro on it and likes the Lupy better! i put the ability to hold zero by far and away the most important feature for a scope. tracking/repeatability for those that use the turrets, durability and then glass. that's the order of importance for me when choosing a scope.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 18:57
The new VX3 I tested had a somewhat pronounced, variable eye relief, which I didn't like.
A very good scope that tracked dead nuts otherwise though.  

bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 07:42
Here's a picture of a VX-3 2.5-8x36 on a mtn rifle in Leupold DD lows reversible front base.  Looks and feels right at home, the sight picture comes up effortlessy when you put the rifle up. 

Edited by bagderRed - October/30/2009 at 07:46
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 07:47
I like the new Leupold VX3.I would say it compares to the Zeiss Conquest and Sightron S2 Big Sky.
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 10:43
Does anybody else not like the Gold Ring?  Maybe I'm just a strange guy in thinking they would look better without it. 

badgerRed, that scope does look perfect for your rifle and sounds like it works great for you also.  What reticle does yours have?
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 11:43
Originally posted by DAVE44 DAVE44 wrote:

I found a new LEUP0LD VX3 2.5-8X36 (PLEX) MATTE BLACK for $375.00 shipped.

Just an FYI, but SWFA has a 110% guarantee, So that would save you some more money plus you would get to deal with some great people.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 12:01
Originally posted by DAVE44 DAVE44 wrote:

I have always wanted to buy a Leupold but have always passed because I know there are better or equal scopes for the same money. My question is are the new VX 3 models with the improvements worth the price compared to the Zeiss and Elite 4200? Ive read the new VX 3 are optically on par with the Conquest. Im not sure about that but are they at least equal to the Bushnell Elite 4200? Leupolds would be hard to beat for size and weight and looks and customer service.
     I found a new LEUP0LD VX3 2.5-8X36 (PLEX) MATTE BLACK for $375.00 shipped. I am tempted but wondering if Im still better off just getting a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 with plex.
Where did you find this price on a NEW VX3 for $375 shipped?
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 12:45

Duplex.  One can get the Boone&Crocket on the 2.5-8x36 also.  I tell ya I haven't found a fault in this riflescope yet(besides the reticle turning gold/brown like all Loupy's do).  I have about 150 rounds downrange.  NO problems whatsoever.  I think gold plating is a waste but it doesn't look cheesball.

Edited by bagderRed - October/30/2009 at 12:47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic