OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Coyote Attack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coyote Attack
    Posted: October/28/2009 at 10:55
In todays papers:

Coyote mauling victim dies from her injuries

28/10/2009 10:08:55 AM

CTV.ca News Staff
A 19-year-old Toronto woman has died from her injuries, a day after she was attacked by two coyotes in Cape Breton.
The woman was hiking alone in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday afternoon when the animals attacked her.

Emergency officials received a call at around 3:15 p.m. about a hiker being mauled on the popular Skyline Trail. Nearby hikers apparently heard the woman's cries and called 911.

RCMP Sgt. Brigdit Leger said police rushed to help the woman and had to shoot a coyote that was being aggressive. The second coyote fled into the woods.

The woman was taken to hospital in Sydney, N.S., and was later airlifted to a Halifax-area hospital. However, she died overnight after sustaining "serious injuries," according to RCMP.

Her name has not been released.

RCMP have closed off the hiking trail until they can track down the other animal.

God save the Empire!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 10:59
Dang, that is a sad story.  And people say they are cute harmless animals.  Roll Eyes

I had a pack of yotes trying to surround me once while I was hunting.  I seen 4 or them coming towards me and then two of them split off in different directions while two stayed coming in from the front.  A little while later I saw the other two coming from behind from different angles.  I just took a shot at one of them and that was the end of that.

Stories like that lady, is why I always carry a gun when I am out in the wilderness.  And I always take one that is big enough that it will do some good if I have to use it.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:03
I am not familiar with that area but have been told it is pretty wild and rugged.  Good luck here with carrying for protection in national parks, you'd end up on the wrong side of the law.  Animals have rights too ya know!
God save the Empire!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:05

That is sad to hear. I spent a few weeks camping in that park many years ago. There is the Gulf of St. Lawrence to the west and the Atlantic to the east. It is a beautiful area.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:07
  I hate to hear things like that happening. 

It's not only possible in the "wilderness"though.  Recently read an article somewhere about places in Ohio where parents are advised not to leave small children outside unattended. Coyotes are entering neighborhoods and snatching up pets at such a high rate that DNR thought the warning was appropriate.  It's gettin' wild out there!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 14:51
A friend of mine lives right in the heart of Denver suburbs.  Last week he was leaving for work and watched a coyote crossing his street with his favorite orange tabby in its mouth.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 16:24
the coyote is the only animal that can survive anywhere from downtown L.A. to no where alaska, they are the ultimate adaptive creature.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 16:26
WOW! That is tragic.
I wonder why the coyote was so aggressive and persistant?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 16:27
rabid most likely.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 16:34
Several years ago in southern Indiana my sister-in-law was chased in her house by a yote.
Gettin to be a problem around here too. I don't let the little dog out without one of the big dogs with him.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 16:46
Thae are a problem here too. I hear them laughing almost every night. I'll be the one laughing before too long though. Gonna borrow a friends NV scope. Sharp Shooter
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 16:52
ive always hunted them in the winter in wyoming during the day, but i found out when i moved up here that they hunt them at night. i guess they wait till there is snow on the ground and get a clear full moon night and setup. with the moonlight bouncing off the snow its good enough light to shoot them without any extra tools etc.. i understand the success rate at night is way better because of the wolf population. during the day coyotes are very hesitant to do much with a wolf lurking somewhere nearby.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 17:32
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

rabid most likely.
 Nope.
The article said there were two of them.
They were hungry, and they were hunting.
Plain and simple.

(If by some astronomical odds, both had been rabid at the same time, neither would have tolerated the presence of the other, nor would they have worked together to bring the victim down.)

Sad story; tough way for a young woman to have to die.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 18:08

the coyote is the only animal that can survive anywhere from downtown L.A. to no where alaska, they are the ultimate adaptive creature.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 18:13
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

rabid most likely.
 Nope.
The article said there were two of them.
They were hungry, and they were hunting.
Plain and simple.

(If by some astronomical odds, both had been rabid at the same time, neither would have tolerated the presence of the other, nor would they have worked together to bring the victim down.)

Good call, Ron.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 18:18
Funny, I was telling Cyborg that early this AM I heard a couple or more coyotes yipping, yapping and carrying on. Haven't heard that noise for a long time and never here in NC.
I knew they were around because The Warden told me she saw some (3?) one night eating her wild birds bread she leaves out for them.   
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 18:23
I hate to shoot the "little dogs", but they have become too populous, too "familiar" with humans, and have far too few natural enemies.  Ironically, one of the BIGGEST natural enemy of the coyote is the wolf. Get rid of the wolves and the coyotes have no real natural enemies, other than man. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 18:37
I take care of their population around here. We get way too many around here. Our group can come home with 3-4 dogs a week, and not make a dent in them.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 18:52
A guy I know shoots at least two 5-6 days a week (hunts over a chicken breeding facility... they never seem to learn he will always show up).  They are really outrageous here.  I've seen "sign" around my property lately, right near my front porch before I left on this latest excursion.  Next time I get a few days at home, I am going to do some hunting...  Not my favorite hunting activity, but once I see blood, I'll be OK...

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 19:02
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Funny, I was telling Cyborg that early this AM I heard a couple or more coyotes yipping, yapping and carrying on. Haven't heard that noise for a long time and never here in NC.
I knew they were around because The Warden told me she saw some (3?) one night eating her wild birds bread she leaves out for them.   

them yotes is messin wit da rong fu den!50 Cal mark may unleash some extreme prejudice on them doggies.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic