OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

marlin 30-30 scope suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: marlin 30-30 scope suggestions
    Posted: October/27/2009 at 23:17
looking for a scope for a marlin 336 30-30 can't make my mind up maybe ya"ll can help. I will mostly be hunting deer at 200yds max most will be 75yds or less. I have been looking at

weaver v3 1-3x20
lepould fx-II 4x33
bushnell 3200 2-7x32
open to others

It's got to be somewhat compact and the eyepice can't be to big, so i can mount low and still get to the hammer. I would like to keep it under 300.00

What do you think about deadnuts ring/mount
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 00:32
I have asked this question a few times before and usually the answer is the Weaver V 1-3x20. I havent gotten one yet but will one day. Leupold fx II would be nice but much more expensive.. I think those two will have similar eyepieces. I also had a Sightron SII 4x32 mounted on a 30-30 for a while and it was nice and very compact and optically as good as the other two choices. It had 4.5 inches of eye relief and I had to mount it on a Leupold rifleman one piece base that had extra ring slots for weaver rings and had to mount it as far forward as possible to get the eye piece far enough forward so that it wouldnt black out. It was a very nice clear scope though. SWFA carries them also I believe.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 01:26
Leupold 6x36 FX-II Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x36 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU63085
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
$309.95 
Add Leupold 6x36 FX-II Riflescope to Cart 
I would probably go with this fixed 6x mainly due to the balistic reticel.  Not sure what your two marks below center will correspond to distance wise but I would sight the center croshairs at 100 and exptect the first dot to be somewhere between 150 and 175 yds while the dot below that would probably be somewhere between 200 and 250 yds.  What ever it is it will always be consistent and repeatable though so I think you stand a very good chance of being more effective on your longer shots with this.    After you zero the center at 100  shoot at the 200 yd target with the crosshair on center and see where the bullet hits below center that dot will correspond to your hold over.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - October/28/2009 at 01:29

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 05:28
I think the above would be great !! I have a Nikon Monarch 6x42 on mine and it's a great set up !!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 06:44
I like the size of the 4x33 Leupold. It is plenty of scope for the 336. It is clear and has good low light performance at 30-30 ranges.
ngross10 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ngross10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 07:44
I have a 2-7x32 on my 336 30-30 and I like it a lot you still have that low power for a quick bush gun shot or turn it up to 7 for those longer shots.
dale.l View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale.l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:37
i think a fixed 6x will be to much for me. 4x is as high as i want to go in a fixed. is a fixed power scope stronger than a var. i am leaning towars the 4x33 i hope it not to much power for close up shots.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:39
May want to check this one out as well:

Vortex 1.75-5x32 Diamondback Rifle Scope Dead-Hold BDC Vortex 1.75-5x32 Diamondback Rifle Scope
Stock # - DBK08BDC
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 1"
$179.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl02_Price_VS = value=jcund5iRxLtE4ItVbKIPPnOZprbVOiZ4Ir3Wztcybvg2kMOyvGI8rCXRoVo8+XjJ name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl02$Price$VS>
God save the Empire!
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:40
If 4x works for people shooting back at you 20 yards away it definitely will work for calm, time-friendly hunting at 75 yards or less.
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:47
I put a Leupold 4x on my 45-70 and used it to hunt elk with this year.  For most things it was great.  But I can see in thick cover which I did some hunting in a lower power could be beneficial.  When you are at 10 or 20 yards and the animal is moving quickly through the trees, it would be hard to get a quick shot off.

But for the most part I think that scope fits my Marlin pretty well.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 15:48
The 4X33 would be a problem where I hunt in Alabama. The brush is just too think. I have the 2X7 on my Marlin 336 30-30. Works gret and more flexible for those longer shots.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 18:00
If you use the Leupold fixed Long range. The Ballistics with a 100 yd zero with Remington 30-30 ammunition best match to the scope drops will be near these.
Calculated with Remington Shoot software.
                   MOA         2.19             4.80            7.82
                 Center     1st Dot        2nd Dot       Top of post
150Gr      100 yd      175 Yd          225 yd         275 yd
Impact         0             + .7              -1.1             -.8            

Center     1st Dot        2nd Dot       Top of post
170Gr      100 yd      175 Yd          200 yd         275 yd
Impact         0             + .5              + .6             -1.9      
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
brilite View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brilite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 21:38
I put a Nikon Monarch UCC 1.5-4.5x20 wide angle on  my 336 .35Rem.  It's mounted low (No hammer problems) and offers a great field of view at all powers.

brilite View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brilite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 21:42
I put a Nikon Monarch UCC 1.5-4.5x20 wide angle on my 336 .35Rem.  Its mounted low with no hammer problems and has a great field of view at all powers.  It meets your pricing parameter.
scubasteve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 07:34

I hunted for 20+ with a Weaver Widefield 4x om my .44 Marlin in Sth LA swamps with no problems. I would go with either the 1-3 Weaver or a fixed 4x. The fixed 6x is a tad too much for them close in shots.

I just mounted a Weaver 2x on a WildWest scout mount to the old gun. Hurricane Gustav has made the swamp just about impenetrable. Wer'e talkin' 40yd field of view in just about any of the area where I hunt. Kinda think I shoulda gone with the peep sight instead of the glass.
ATF should be the name of a convience store, not afederal agency.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic