OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ACOG 6X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ACOG 6X
    Posted: October/27/2009 at 15:47
I am planning on getting a couple of new rifles [ SCAR, SR556. ]

I have been looking at ACOG and ELCANS.
Kind of want to throw up my hands!  I've been looking at the ACOG 4x with the DOC, the 6x with the DOC and the high end ELCAN.

Any thoughts or ideas ?
Boy, I could sure use some

TomWhacko
gun collector, sword,knife collector, cigar smoker
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 16:11
What is the purpose of the rifle?
What do you like about these scopes?
What is your experience with this rifle and/or these scopes?
What is your experience level with optics?
What is your experience level with semi auto rifles?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
tombirdman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 17:22
Fun, Law Enforcement, Collection,  Having the best!

Tom
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 17:38
I answere 1.
Two is I like everything about them.
Three is - NONE.   Thats why I am asking!
Four is that I have average knowledge of optics.  That's why I am asking!
Five is that I have much more knowledge of firearms and testing.  I use to have a commercial lab for , mostly , testing for a company called " 3-D Manufacturing" in the Grand Island, Kearney, Hastings Nebraska area.  I still want to know MORE !
Six is, I think, how much experience with semi autos.  Well I use to own 9 subguns, every semi auto assault style, pre ban, I could get my hands on - about 45 and I use to be president of my gun club.  so gather what you will from th but don't go knocking me for what I say or ask.

To many negative putdowns on all forums !!!

My Humble Opinion !!!

Tom
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 17:44
ACOGs are the bomb, for mid range shooting, but you are stuck with a single power.  Great glass, crazy durable, the the reticle options are awesome as is the illumination.

Never seen an Elcan, but they sure seem like they would give you about as close as you could get to the best of both worlds in one optic.

Glad to have someone with your experience join the forum.  Hope you stick around and spread some of your knowledge and I hope those in the know can help you out as well. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 18:06
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Tom
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 18:11
I like your Obama Optic on the left !
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 19:26
Originally posted by tombirdman tombirdman wrote:

I answere 1.
Two is I like everything about them.
Three is - NONE.   Thats why I am asking!
Four is that I have average knowledge of optics.  That's why I am asking!
Five is that I have much more knowledge of firearms and testing.  I use to have a commercial lab for , mostly , testing for a company called " 3-D Manufacturing" in the Grand Island, Kearney, Hastings Nebraska area.  I still want to know MORE !
Six is, I think, how much experience with semi autos.  Well I use to own 9 subguns, every semi auto assault style, pre ban, I could get my hands on - about 45 and I use to be president of my gun club.  so gather what you will from th but don't go knocking me for what I say or ask.

To many negative putdowns on all forums !!!

My Humble Opinion !!!

Tom

It was not my intention to put you down, I was asking because all are factors.
I once had a guy at a gun shop tell me not to buy a Berreta because someone could pull the slide off in a gun fight (he saw it in a movie) and he recommended I buy a 1911 because Steven Segal carries 1911s.  There was not put-down, just trying to discover what you need, why you "want them, and if something better serves your purposes that you did not mention.

ACOGs are good scopes, very durable, very simple to use.

Elcan is a little more complicated and not as common here - though the Canadian military used (or still uses) them.

Also Consider Trijicon Accupoint, it is a bind-on aiming point in a magnifying scope - 1-4 is a great mag range for that rifle.

I've used ACOG (TA31), Aimpoint, EoTech, Trijicon reflex and accupoint, USO SN3, and a hot of other optics on AR platforms.  Everyone has an opinion and a reason why their opinion is right.

It's always best to get as much info as possible before we (the old timers) start making recommendations.  I prefer ACOG to Elcan, but have more time on ACOG.  I prefer 1-4 Trijicon Accupoint to both, and for very specific reasons.

If you like ACOG, go for it, great scope.  A friend in BORTAC runs the new compact 3X and likes it.  He has a green laser mounted for CQB, because, beleive it or not, 3X can be too much in a very close encounter.

Hope that helps.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Roadwild17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadwild17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 07:06
I have herd of people who have had problems betting elcans serviced.  Something about sending radioactive (tritium) items over the border.  Aren'T elcans made in Canada?

My self, when I re-optic my 16" general use AR its going to have a 1-3 or 1-4 scope of the Burris xtr our accuapoint flavor.  1x for up close and 3 or 4 X for a little further.  I find it pretty hard to get good hits on a silhouette past 100 yds with the current EoTech.  The little 1 moa dot is hard to get on target for any distance, but great for up close.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:03
I apprecite your knowledge and advice!
I agree with all of it and thk you for it.
Sorry I misunderstood your intent.  I was influenced by past experiences on other boards.
I will try to send some pictures on this board of some of my collection to show you what I like and where I am at.  I also collect handguns - civil war, modern, curio and relics.

If i can figure out how to post I will and hope that someone out their enjoys them, just for the look value7/tombirdman/gunIMG_00441.jpg[/IMG]
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:16
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:25
IMG]http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdman/IMG_0232.jpg[/IMG]
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:34
URL=http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdman/?action=view&current=IMG_0232.jpg]bums/ae167/tombirdm[/URL=http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdman/?action=view&current=IMG_0019.jpg">tobucket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdman/th_MICTOTECHSTG556E-4MINE001.jpg[/IMG">tp://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdman/?action=view&current=IMG_0407.jpg][/URL]/albums/ae167/tombirdman/?action=view&current=gunIMG_0015.jpg][/URL]/tombirdman/th_IMG_0019.jpg[/IMG][/URL]URL]an/th_IMG_.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdman/?action=view&current=IMG_0021.jpg]http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdman/th_IMG_0021.jpg[/IMG][/URL]0232.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:36
Nice Tom, you got some cool looking rifles.  Thunbs Up
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:44
Thanks!

I am having a hard time getting them posted.  I am using photobucket and haven't figured it out yet.

Tomobucket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdmahttp://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdman/th_IMG_0021.jpg[/IMG][/URL]n/th_IMG_0023-1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:45
I give up!

Tom
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:48
Looks like you are forgetting to put [img] before some of them.  Also when posting a pic you don't need to put url.  That is just for posting clickable links.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:50
If you go over to the almost anything goes forum there is a boost your post count thread.  There you can just post a bunch of BS to build up your count.  Once you get to 50 posts, you will be able to edit.  Then you can come back and fix them.

Looks like you have quite a collection though.  Can't wait to see them all when you get the pics fixed

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10080&PN=448

Edited by supertool73 - October/28/2009 at 11:51

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 11:53
What do you think of your STGs?  I shot one once and thought the trigger left a lot to be desired.  But other than that it was way fun to shoot.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 15:01
Extremely nice and well set up AR !

Julicy - Thy name is me !!!

Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic