OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunters--Backpacking Mulie Binos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunters--Backpacking Mulie Binos
    Posted: October/27/2009 at 13:01
the application will be mulie hunting in open country, backpack hunting with *only one scouting optic* will have 3.5x9 zeiss conquest rifle scope --considerations in order are 1.weight, size for backpack hunting
2. low light, distance resolution good contrast
4. this is a mulie hunter not a birder so don't want to pay for what I dont need--cost

right now I am thinking a very high quality 8x 30 or 35  or maybe a high quality 7x  compact
and use my rifle scope for distance details I am limited to 7mm-08 range anyway. Need a little help with this, thanks for any advice
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 13:08
What kind of $ are you looking to spend?
-Matt
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 13:08
I would take a look at these.  Zen Rays are getting crazy good reviews from virtually everyone that uses them.  Glass quality is suppose to be approaching alpha league and so far durability reports have been very good.
http://swfa.com/Zen-Ray-7x36-Zen-ED2-Binocular-P41886.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 13:14
look at the Zen Ray ED's. I don't personally have them but there have ben a-lot of good reviews here. I think they will be the ones I buy to replace my current binocs next year. For good glass the price is pretty hard to beat too. For a Mulie hunt I would go with the 10x glass though rather that using the rifle scope Sad. I backpack hunt a-lot in CO and find a 10x42 Binoc on a harness is hardly noticeable.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 13:18
Take a good hard look at the Swift 7x36 Eaglet.  This is a nice compact binocular and gives you a full 5mm exit pupil, and it works very well in twilight.  It has a very bright, crisp image and I have no problem using it as my only optic on a hunt.  I typically hunt Mule Deer in High Desert Juniper/Sage environments.  It has a very fast focus and not much tension is needed to move the wheel, which is its only downside as a pure hunting binocular.  It is easy enough to get used to.

Another good binocular for a one optics lightweight is the Leupold Gold Ring 7/12x32 Switch Power.  The 7x image is a little better than the Swift.  The 12x is decent, but 12x really needs more glass than is available in a 32mm format.  But still the 12x is surprisingly easy to hold steady and the extra 5x magnification can be really useful.  Just be sure to use it as a 7x with a 12x option.  I use mine on 7x 75% or so of the time, with occasional closer examinations at 12x.  The extra glass available in a larger 42mm format of the Leica Duovid would likely be a lot better at 12x and at distance, but it is not either lightweight nor is it inexpensive.  However the Duovid or Switch power gives you the two in one combination.

I am also a fan of the Zen Ray 7x36.  But these are bigger than either of the Swift or Switch power.  You gain a much wider fov with them and the optics are outstanding.

FWIW, I have and use all three 7x glasses in this post.

Edited by Klamath - October/27/2009 at 13:20
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 14:11
There are some good recs here.  If you don't want to break the bank and get fantastic glass, the Zen ED2 is a no brainer as it bests my trinovids and my neighbors SLC.  I hunt open country myself, and I wholeheartedly recommend 10x binocs under those circumstances.  Those 10x Zen's will give you more resolution and detail than a 7x or 8x will all day long.  Field of view isn't an issue in open country like that either.  Use a bino harness like crooked horn and you won't even know they are there.  Good Luck
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 17:14
Just returned from chasing mulies in the mountains of Colorado, I took a Leica 10+15x50 Duovid and had no regrets.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 18:37
Yeah, hard to beat the Duovids--if you can afford 'em! I'm glad I got my own 8+12's when they were half the price they are now.

Luckily for those on a budget there are a bunch of good glasses in the 10x40 range out there now that are more affordable, including Hawke, Meopta, Minox, Swift and Zen Ray. I would happy to hunt mule deer with any of them.
motts View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 18:46
I'm still trying to decide between the Zen Ray 10x43 ED2 and the Meopta Meostar 10x42. I've been looking at various binos over the last few months and have come down to these two. I'm wondering if the meopta is worth twice as much as the Zens. If they cost the same...would you still get even get the Meoptas? Zen has superior technology with the ED glass and dielectric prism coatings. However, I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Meoptas and they are super rugged and great handling.

I think you'd be fine with a 10x such as the Meopta Meostar, Vortex Razor, Zen Ray ED(2) or Pentax PCF ED.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 20:31
I carry my Geovid 10x42's for the open country. I like having the 10x in the open country, and the added rangefinding ability is nice too. Having a 10LB brick hanging from your neck is less than ideal though.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 20:35

Although I personally can't stand them, you could always use a Bino-Bra contraption.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 10:08
Originally posted by motts motts wrote:

I'm still trying to decide between the Zen Ray 10x43 ED2 and the Meopta Meostar 10x42. I've been looking at various binos over the last few months and have come down to these two. I'm wondering if the meopta is worth twice as much as the Zens. If they cost the same...would you still get even get the Meoptas? Zen has superior technology with the ED glass and dielectric prism coatings. However, I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Meoptas and they are super rugged and great handling.

I have them both.  I love them both.  If they cost the same, I would get the Meoptas.  However, they don't cost the same.  There is no beating the ZEN EDs at their price point.  Especially the original ZEN ED at the price SWFA is selling them for now!

Shocked
-Matt
muleymaddness View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 10:59
I'm going by to a local dealer today to compare my Zen's with his Meopta's.  Not that I'm going to trade because I like the price paid for my Zen's, I'm just curious to see how they compare.  I'm not optics expert, but all I look at when comparing is edge to edge clarity, brightness, and center point clarity.  And ease of use and feel.  I'll report back.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 12:41
My wife and I have been comparing Meoptas a lot to Zens and Hawkes this year. Our consensus is that the Chinese binoculars are slightly sharper optically--but we also KNOW that the Meoptas are incredibly rugged, having used them hard for several years. The jury is still out on the toughness of the Chinese binoculars.
motts View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 15:37
Originally posted by muleymaddness muleymaddness wrote:

I'm going by to a local dealer today to compare my Zen's with his Meopta's.  Not that I'm going to trade because I like the price paid for my Zen's, I'm just curious to see how they compare.  I'm not optics expert, but all I look at when comparing is edge to edge clarity, brightness, and center point clarity.  And ease of use and feel.  I'll report back.

I look forward to reading your report.

I can afford the Meoptas, so I'll get them if they're better, just wonder if/how much better they are and in what ways.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 15:55
Originally posted by m_freeman m_freeman wrote:

the application will be mulie hunting in open country, backpack hunting with *only one scouting optic* will have 3.5x9 zeiss conquest rifle scope --considerations in order are 1.weight, size for backpack hunting
2. low light, distance resolution good contrast
4. this is a mulie hunter not a birder so don't want to pay for what I dont need--cost

right now I am thinking a very high quality 8x 30 or 35  or maybe a high quality 7x  compact
and use my rifle scope for distance details I am limited to 7mm-08 range anyway. Need a little help with this, thanks for any advice

10x(42 or50) bino's would be my choice. I think 12x would be nice too but it becomes more of a specialized tool.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
m_freeman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 02:59
I have pretty much decided on a 10x of some sort and either a harness or using a shooting stick to stabilize shake.
m_freeman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 20:05
I just ordered the ZR ED 10x42  came down to the deeply discounted Nikon Monarchs or the ZR ED figured if I can get true ED glass for about 1/2 price I'll bypass the deeply discounted Monarchs.---- will advise how they perform on my hunt and there is a store nearby that has zeiss conquest, brunton and steiner binos I'll have to make a stop and compare.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 21:44
Good choice.  The Monarchs pale in comparison to the Zen.  Tell us what you think when you've used them a while. 
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2009 at 10:50
IMO, if getting the Zens, go with the ED2 version. The strap is improved (maybe not an issue if you're going to ditch it in favor of a "bino-bra" (love that, CFII!) and they made improvements to the prism coatings and focus knob...worth the extra $40.

JG, as a Monarch owner I am deeply, deeply offended. Well, not really. I will point out that for the $160 I paid for the 8x43 ATBs, I didn't get pissed off when my friend's 5-year-old smeared his fingerprints and powdered donut gunk all over the glass while I was out of the truck. With optics like the Zens around, it makes me curious how big boys like Nikon will respond. My guess is they will just ramp up their advertising buy and dish out more rebates rather than retool.
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic