OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

CFII's Handgun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CFII's Handgun
    Posted: October/27/2009 at 11:05
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Happy 21st Birthday nephew!  Enjoy your well deserved day off tomorrow.  I'm gonna buy you any pistol you want and Andrea is gonna pay for your CHL.  Hope you had a wonderful birthday weekend bro.

Cheers
What and why?
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 11:15
It will be used mainly for plinking, truck gun, and carry on occasion.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 11:37
So, what handgun are you gonna get, Christopher?

Needless to say, that is extremely generous of your uncle!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 11:40
Well I don't know yet. Initally I wanted either a Sig .40 or a XD M .40. But that is why I started this thread to get everyones opinions...
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 11:57
SIG 229
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 11:59
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

SIG 229
Why?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 12:05
IMO don't get a Sig unless you get the double action only.  There is no point in having to learn two trigger pulls of a DA/SA gun.  In reality it will take 2 to 3 times as long to learn to run a DA/SA as well as a gun with a consistent trigger pull every time.  No need to handicap yourself right from the get go by having to fight two trigger pulls.

A 1911, Glock, XD, M&P, some H&K variations all have the same pull every time. 

The XDM is a nice pistol, I have 2 of them.  But if I were just to have a single pistol it would be a 1911.  As nice as the XDs and Glocks are I always go back to my 1911 as my favorite.  Nothing beats the feel of that single action trigger and the way they point in. 

Edited by supertool73 - October/27/2009 at 12:05
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 12:08
I HATE glock triggers and I love the way the XD shoots. Never shot a 1911 before. I also like the way the h&K shoots.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 12:16

With an offer like that, I wouldn't "take advantage", but I'd get something you'd be proud to own and carry for the rest of your life.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 12:24
I completely agree Rancid. I am not treating it as the fact that I can get whatever but rather that I still plan on getting what i would get if I was buying it. I still plan on buying one. I really do believe my List would be. Starting with the original list the marking out what I have decided against in the past year or two.

Glock- Hate the trigger pull.

Colt 1911 Nice and I do like them but will probably hold off for a later day. Gramps has an entire collection..

2 Sig Like them

XD Decided on the M instead

1 XD M My favorite out of the bunch

3 H&K Like them but probably 3rd on my list...
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 12:25
The 1911 and the XD have the same grip angle so they will point in the exact same.  If you like the XD, I bet you will like the 1911 even more.  A Wilson or a Nighthawk Custom would be about as good as you could get.  But they are 4 to 6 times what an XD would cost.  Ohh how I would love to have one.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 12:26
im not much of a pistol guy but the h&k usp has been the best "feeling" pistol ive ever held. i have smaller hands so the h&k fits very nice,the 1911's were to wide  for my comfort. i would just take my time and do some hands on research and make sure you get the one that will not only fit well but function well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 12:38
Sounds like you have made up your mind.  The XDM is a better pistol than the Sig.  I had one for a while and IMO just does not even compare with the XDM.  Then as I said the whole DA/SA thing is just a pain. 

The only thing I struggle with with the XDM is the slide lock.  I ride my thumbs high instead of down on the grip because I am use to holding it ontop of the safety on the 1911.  Every once and a while my thumb will hit the slide lock on the XDM during recoil and the slide locks back.  In reality that is a pretty bad problem to have, so I have to hold it differently than I hold the 1911.  Other than that I think the M is a fantastic pistol.  I probably have 4000 rounds through one of mine 1000 through the other and have never had a single stoppage other than the self induced I state before.  They are good pistols.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 12:41
Do you want polymer frame or alloy frame?

If you want a .40, I'd get one of the following:
1.  Sig P250 (polymer frame)
2.  Sig P226 (alloy frame full size)
3.  Sig P229 (alloy frame mid size)
4.  Springfield XDM
5.  Glock 23
6.  S&W M&P
7.  H&K USP

All of the above are nice, well-made pistols.  I would choose based on which one seems to fit your hands ergonomically and which one has the operating system you prefer --"safe" action w/ trigger safety, i.e. Glock & XDM, DA, SA, or DAO.  The H&K USP offers you the option of  configuring the pistol for different firing modes (DA/SA/DAO).  The XDM and P250 give you the option of different grip profiles.  I've been hearing great things about the S&W M&P from owners lately.  A co-worker of mine told me he prefers it to his Glocks and Sigs.  The grip width of the alloy frame double stack model Sigs can be too thick for some operators, though I find them to be very comfortable.  Glock seems to be a "love it or hate it" pistol, but it is quick to deploy and quite compact for its capacity. 

Any of the above will be reliable and shoot well if they fit you ergonomically.  If a pistol doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you aren't likely to shoot it well, so if at all possible, it's a good idea to handle and preferably shoot the pistols you're considering before buying.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 12:53
I agree somewhat with what Supertool said about DAO instead of DA/SA mode.  Keep in mind if you do go with Doug's recommendation of the P226, it is available in a DAO version (called "DAK" - "double action Kellerman"). 

I think it's hard to beat a 1911, but you already ruled that out, and some, like me, aren't too fond of "cocked and locked" mode of carry.
Ted

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 13:05
In reality the XD(m) is cocked and locked too, it just does not have the hammer.  Still the striker is locked all the way back and the trigger releases it.  They both have two safety's.  Both have grip, 1911 has thumb, the XD has trigger.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 13:06
Of course now they have came out with the Xd that also has a thumb safety.  Roll Eyes

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 13:37

A 1911 is not the most "easy-to-carry" handgun, and I recommend you not even consider one unless you plan on getting some professional instruction and you plan to shoot it often and dedicate yourself to understanding how it works and how to handle/control it.

For ease of use, Sig and HK are hard to beat.  I've owned a few Sigs and a few HKs; I now only have the HK45 and will have it for quite some time: great feel, points well, controls well, everything is where it should be, and it is accurate.

I've shot a few XDs and like them.

If you plan to carry concealed, consider this (source is a Fed LE friend), the FBI has determined that if someone takes your (in a stressful situation, like a struggle):

If the gun has no external safety, you have approximately 3 seconds to recover the gun before the taker can discharge a round (or the first round.)

If the gun has an external safety, you have approximately 17 seconds to recover the gun before the taker can discharge a round (or the first round.)

I have friends who have said, "I would never let my gun be taken", and I have taken their gun from each of them (when they weren't expecting it.)  Every gun I carry (except a Kahr PM40 that rides in my front pocket) has an external safety.  I like 17 seconds MUCH MORE than 3 seconds.

I don't think you would be disappointed with Sig, HK, or XD.  And if there is something you don't like about texture or grip angle, there are MANY shops that specialize in customizing your plastic frame.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 15:11
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Do you want polymer frame or alloy frame?

If you want a .40, I'd get one of the following:
1.  Sig P250 (polymer frame)
2.  Sig P226 (alloy frame full size)
3.  Sig P229 (alloy frame mid size)
4.  Springfield XDM
5.  Glock 23
6.  S&W M&P
7.  H&K USP

All of the above are nice, well-made pistols.  I would choose based on which one seems to fit your hands ergonomically and which one has the operating system you prefer --"safe" action w/ trigger safety, i.e. Glock & XDM, DA, SA, or DAO.  The H&K USP offers you the option of  configuring the pistol for different firing modes (DA/SA/DAO).  The XDM and P250 give you the option of different grip profiles.  I've been hearing great things about the S&W M&P from owners lately.  A co-worker of mine told me he prefers it to his Glocks and Sigs.  The grip width of the alloy frame double stack model Sigs can be too thick for some operators, though I find them to be very comfortable.  Glock seems to be a "love it or hate it" pistol, but it is quick to deploy and quite compact for its capacity. 

Any of the above will be reliable and shoot well if they fit you ergonomically.  If a pistol doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you aren't likely to shoot it well, so if at all possible, it's a good idea to handle and preferably shoot the pistols you're considering before buying.
The Sig P250 is at the top of my list. My mom being in law enforcement owns several sigs, she swears by them. I will be test fitting and firing her sigs if I don't get another sig other than the P250 then  next will be a XD M in .40. I have had one on order since mid September.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 15:12
I don't like the 1911 as a carry gun personally. If I did buy one it would be out of my Grampas 1911 Collection anyways...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic