OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Alignment solution?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alignment solution?
    Posted: October/25/2009 at 09:40

Every so often, someone logs on and poses a question on this site, regarding problems they are having getting the scope to line up properly on a rifle, without running out of windage or elevation adjustment. Often the problem is an out-of-spec rifle receiver, poorly drilled holes, etc.

Sometimes a suppressed rifle shooting low-velocity ammo requires extreme elevation bias in the base/ring setup.  

The old Leupold/Redfield Windage-adjustable bases/ rings were used for years but offerered no elevation correction, only windage.

We often advocate one-piece Picatinny bases with or without forward cants. Burris Signature rings with eccentric inserts are often helpful and available for various base types but they do have a few limitations.

Shimming bases is often warranted, but difficult to explain how to do correctly.

Lately I've noticed the B-Square adjustable Rings,  http://swfa.com/B-Square-InterLock-Adjustable-Rings-P1471.aspx  advertised as having both windage and elevation adjustability. They look reasonably well-made, and B-Square has a good reputation.

Does anybody here use these rings?

Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to get a set and try them out. They are available in 3/8 and 11 mm. dovetails for various  airguns and rimfire rifles with grooved recievers, as well as the common Weaver type with the cross-blade recoil lug.
  I sure would like a few of you guys to take a hard look at these and tell me what you think. Click around the B-Square page on SWFA's site and check out the various models.

I'm thinking they may be a great solution to a lot of shooters' mounting problems...

Edited by RONK - October/25/2009 at 09:43
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 07:50
Price is right and B-Square has an excellent reputation. Don't see how you can go wrong with these. Doesn't say how you adjust the elevation. As long as you don't have to take them apart to adjust that, looks pretty sweet....Please let us know how they turn out if you try them.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 16:09
Buy a set Ron and give us the scoop, that was easy, I like spending other people's money.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 16:57
I'm more the dual dovetail kind of guy I like to take out every possible way something can screw up if possible.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 18:19
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I'm more the dual dovetail kind of guy I like to take out every possible way something can screw up if possible.
 Well I like Dual Dovetails too, and have used them for decades, but they aren't really an answer for a firearm in which a significant alignment issue exists. In fact they offer no adjustability whatsoever, so I guess one could argue that if one's scope isn't well aligned to the rifle, and one used Dual Dovetail rings in that scenario, one would in fact be introducing a factor into the equation that could cause accuracy error. (Turret adjustment nearly bottomed out in one direction or the other before a zero is acheived.)
 I'm not sure, but I think there are also parallax issues in an off-axis scope tube which has been zeroed strictly with the internal adjustments only, that are not present in a scope in which the tube is in a parallel or at least a near-parallel axis to the bore.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 18:25
Originally posted by okc4956 okc4956 wrote:

Price is right and B-Square has an excellent reputation. Don't see how you can go wrong with these. Doesn't say how you adjust the elevation. As long as you don't have to take them apart to adjust that, looks pretty sweet....Please let us know how they turn out if you try them.
 It almost looks as though there is a threaded (?) spindle in the lower half of the ring which appears to have a nut or bushing notched to accept a spanner wrench for height adjustment. I'm speculating wildly here though, based solely upon the photos. If I'm right, I suppose it would have to be adjusted before assembly.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 18:29
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Buy a set Ron and give us the scoop, that was easy, I like spending other people's money.

ALRIGHT, I WILL!

Thunbs Up
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 19:33
Burris Signature Double Dovetail 1 Burris Signature Double Dovetail 1" Rings
Stock # - 420562
  • Silver
  • Medium
$36.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/01/2009 at 18:23

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 20:09

Yes.
But the Dual Dovetail system  doesn't work on grooved .22 receivers or integral Picatinny rails such as those on an AR.

I know that Burris also makes Signature rings that work with those systems, and there are no more vocal proponents of them than I am. I think they're great.

But I'm just trying to learn more about other options as well, hence this thread...

okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 03:51
Sort of makes one feel beat up doesn't it?Whacko
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 14:10
your buyin' - were learnin' - I fail to see any problem here...
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2009 at 18:27
I guess my concern is that they might come loose at the worst possible time - depends on how they are built.  I suppose if there were matching ridges that kept them from slipping you could gain a lot of adjustment for windage.   Do you have a rifle that really needs that fix?

Let us know how you like them.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic