OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

newbie needs spotter help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blownsmok97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newbie needs spotter help
    Posted: October/24/2009 at 10:40
I am new to the forum today, i have been searching it a lil bit lately and am impressed with the knowledge and help you guys have so i decided to join so you guys could help me out a lil bit.

I have a decent set of older bushnell elite 10x42 binos that i use a lot but i need to get me a good spotter.  I have an old winchester that was given to me and it just don't quite do the job.  I do a lot of hunting, both bow and rifle, and pre and post season spotting.  I do alot of hillside watching at ranges of 1000 yards or more, but also some closer stuff. 

I have kind of narrowed down a list and i would like to hear you guys' opinions.  I would love to get something nice like a swaro or zeiss or kowa or something, but i'm recently married and cant afford that stuff so i am gonna try and budget one for around the 500 dollar range or so if possible. The ones i am looking at are-
  -Nikon Prostaff
  -Vortex Skyline ED
  -Cabelas Big Sky HD
  -Bushnell Elite
       Excursion FLP
I'm thinking probably 20-60 power.  I also have a hookup to get leupold scopes, but haven't really been impressed with the reviews. 

Thanks for the help.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 12:40
These are getting fantastic reviews at this price range.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
blownsmok97 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blownsmok97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 13:42
If i went with the excursion flp, do you think i would be better with a 15-45x60, or the 20-60x80?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 08:42
smok97,  I'd go with the 80mm obj if low light viewing is important, and portability is not a big issue.  If you're a serious backpack hunter, etc you may want the smaller ones.  My buddy bought the 15-45x60 and it is excellent for general deer hunting that we do.  You will see more details, have higher resolution, and a brighter view in low light with the 80mm.  Good luck. 
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 15:42
I checked out the 15-45  Excursion and was impressed. I just wasn't sure I would be able to see .223 holes in the black at 300yds reliably. The power was my issue with this Excursion. If the 20-60x80 Excursion is as clear and crisp as the 15-45 I would be very tempted.
I would really like to check out the Nikon Prostaff, I've read some good reviews about it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blownsmok97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 17:00
I went to the local cabelas and tried out a couple scopes.  I tried the nikon prostaff 16-48x65 and two of the cabelas big sky 20-60x66, one in hd one regular.  They didn't have time to take them outside so i could only do it in the store.  I couldn't really tell a difference between the two cabelas scopes,  but there was pretty good lighting so it wasn't much of a test but that nikon i thought had better clarity, both in low and high zoom.  I put the cabelas to 20 and the nikon to what i thought would be about 20 and then the same with the high and it looked like it had better glass.  The other thing i liked about the nikon is they are a lot lighter. 
Any other input on any of these scopes? I am still undecided on what to get.  What do you guys think about the vortex scopes?
And how much is there to gain from ed to regular glass?
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 19:37
Just an FYI, make sure you look through them outside. Some scopes have coatings that make them appear much better in the store light, but not as good outside.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blownsmok97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 14:54
So i think i am either gonna go with the nikon 16-48x65 or one of the bushnell excursions.  What are your guys opinions? which one should i go with?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 15:19
I like the bushy out of those two.
-Matt
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 16:01
I have the Bushnell excursion FLP and it is a great scope for the money.

I think you would have to spend a lot more to get a better spotting scope, it is bright and clear easy to adjust etc.  If money is not a consideration then I would jump on this one

but usually money is a consideration.

Duce  Big Smile
Duce
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 17:23
I test-drove the 15x45 Excursion with ED glass out to two miles. I could make out some pretty good detail with it but wouldn't be able to count tines at that distance. Likely no problem at 1 mile though. To me, just about any spotter is too heavy and not worth hauling so I'd prefer a 20-60x80. At high magnification you want that thing as solid as possible...like window-mounted in your truck. The one time I ever brought one elk hunting was when I had someone else to carry it and we'd steady it on logs or a pack.

The one I'd likely buy is the Vortex Skyline. I haven't looked through the ED version but even the regular glass is pretty nice. They're decently priced and have rock-solid customer support.
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blownsmok97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 17:55
I just found a lead on a Swarovski 20-60x65 non hd, not sure what model but i think its an sts, from a guy i know who wants to trade it for a suzuki samurai.  It also comes with a manfrotto tripod-ball style, manfrotto window mount, soft case, hard case, and a camera adapter.   The scope is a year or two old, but is in great shape he says.  I haven't actually seen it yet. 
How much is this stuff worth?  I have got two samurai's, so i am thinking about doing it just wanna make sure its worth it.  Or should i keep my samurai and buy a cheaper scope?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 21:34
That Swaro 65 setup would be super.  I think the scope alone would fetch $1300-$1500 or so.   Manfrotto doesn't give stuff away either, and it's excellent quality .  Just guessing, but that's probably a $1700 package.  
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blownsmok97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 22:19
So i ended up getting the Swarovski scope. I am excited to take it out and look through it tomorrow..  Thanks everyone for the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic