OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kudo's JB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 10:17
 ^
 ... well it looks like this thread is now over!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2009 at 02:00
I would love to get hold of the article???? Any place on the internet???

I have been cleaning my rifle to metal after every range shoot (20-30 rounds).
I have recently stopped doing that after also seeing a more consistent accuracy with a "dirtier" barrel.
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2009 at 07:30
Thanks JB for your work.  It was a good article.  I hope you are getting kickbacks from the UBC people.  I am going to try it out. 
I have a friend that has to clean after every time out to the range and even when there may be fingerprints on a gun.  He got pissy with me one time for not cleaning an older Rem ADL 2 weeks after last shooting it.  He told me it was going to rust and blah blah.....My deer rifle shoots North-West on the first shot through a clean barrel before the next 3 will get 3/8" group.  So I make sure some fouling is in the barrel before the season. 
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2009 at 17:59
My question is do I have to worry about harming a barrel by shooting too long before cleaning? Right now I have about 50 rounds down the tube since the last cleaning. Groups are still running a hair under 1/2". I'd like to keep shooting until groups open up before I clean, but would hate to mess up the barrel on a high dollar (for me) rifle, and a great shooter. Do I just keep shooting until groups open up, or clean it before?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 10:06
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

My question is do I have to worry about harming a barrel by shooting too long before cleaning? Right now I have about 50 rounds down the tube since the last cleaning. Groups are still running a hair under 1/2". I'd like to keep shooting until groups open up before I clean, but would hate to mess up the barrel on a high dollar (for me) rifle, and a great shooter. Do I just keep shooting until groups open up, or clean it before?
Holy smoke! Why blow a good date? I wouldn't change a thing...maybe a very light oil swab and an outside oil down if it has been wet, but with 1/2 moa you are already sitting on the holy grail.
Terry Lamb
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 10:59
trigger29, depending where you live in SD, humidity may not be a problem and really it's been shown that since the move away from corrosive primers, most barrels are not prone to rusting. I'd consider running a small dry patch down the barrel on an undersized jag in between major cleanings just to remove loose debris and some of the powder fouling. For example, I use a .270 jag with a 1 1/2 round patch down the barrels of my .30 cal rifles. It doesn't make tight contact with the barrel but pushes out dust and the occasional pine needle I pick up in the barrel while out hunting.

To quote from the Shilen Barrels website (http://www.shilen.com/faq.html):

Removing this small trace of copper puts you right back to square one. The next bullet that crosses that area will, again, leave a small trace of copper. Similar to patching a pothole. All successful benchrest shooters shoot one or more "fouler" shots down the barrel before going to the record target. This is not to warm up the barrel. They are resurfacing it on the inside. Benchrest shooters clean between relays to get the powder fowling out, not the copper. However, since copper usually comes out with the powder, they know that it must be replaced to get "back in the groove". I've had shooters tell me they "cleaned their rifle for 3 hours to get all the copper out of it." Their next statement is almost invariably that they had to shoot 4-5 rounds through it just to get it back to "shooting" again.
Reaction time is a factor...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 10:59
Trigger, I shot over 300 rounds out of my Lilja before cleaning.  It was still shooting .5 MOA but i just cleaned it.  Next five rounds minus a clean cold bore shot were still shooting .5 MOA.

It is actually a good thing to find out how many rounds you can shoot before you need to clean, then you know when you need to clean vs. just cleaning to clean.  (More barrels have been ruined by improper cleaning than by shooting I dare bet.)  I have not found that yet as I cleaned before accuracy started to suffer. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2009 at 17:40
Which was exactly one of the points in my article: There's no need to clean most barrels (especially a really smooth one like a Lilja) nearly as often as most shooters do, and often over-cleaning wears out the barrel quicker than shooting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic