OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300 Remington Ultra Mag?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 15:47
Yeah, but you are special. 

Elaborating, if this is going to be your first .30 mag, like RC said, you can find a lot of them with low miles for lot cheaper than new.  If you have been around the magnum game, it can be a good cartridge.  The guy I help harvest wheat traded up from a 300 WM to the 300RUM but it wasn't his first gun.  Heck, I have heard of guys hunting dear with .375 H&H Mags and even 450 Lotts!!!  Yikes
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
lives2hunt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lives2hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 16:16
I have had the .300 RUM since they came out with it.  I love the gun.  Like everyone is saying if I didn't reload myself it would be to expensive to shoot.  I actually enjoying shooting this rifle at long distances.  The only thing I would do different would be not to put on the muzzle break.  It is to loud with it on and kicks up a lot of dust.

I used it on moose, elk and deer hunts so far.  I have loaded it with 165 grain to 200 grain bullets.  They all work well so far.  I'll admit it's a bit much for deer but dead is dead and it ruined no more meat then other caliber rifles.

I don't have a lot of rifles but the .300 RUM fills the picks up where my .270 WSM leaves off.  
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 17:03
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

Yeah, but you are special. 

Just because my "plinking rimfire" is a .300 mag, doesn't make me special...........but then again, I always wanted to be special.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 21:00
Well, IMO the 300 RUM can have some inherent problems

The 300 RUM is overbore and can have problems.  I know that many of the 300 RUM owners are saying "What! Mooner" but I reload for one and it is a little tricky and the extra power is unnecessary IMO.  By contrast the 300 win mag is well tested, tried and true and a breeze to reload for, not to mention that is has significantly less recoil and muzzle blast.  It can be loaded and shot without muzzle brakes in a weight gun that can be carried easily.

Now the 338RUM is a different story.  It is not overbore and sends it's pills downrange at an acceptable velocity (225's at 3100 fps and 250's at 3000 fps).  It still has the tremendous recoil and muzzle blast but you get those heavy bullets for compensation.  That makes it a better long range gun. 

Guess you could say that I am on the other side of the ledger
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 06:24
my question is how much powder is blown out of the case and down the barrel unburned?? the 7mm ultra is the king of throat erosion. in my opinion the .338rum is the one with the most value or useful gain.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 06:33
Just sold my 300 RUM to a buddy of mine... I really liked it and with the muzzle brake it wasnt bad to shoot at all...The Mcmillan stock and shillin barrel helped a bunch also...

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 09:15
Nice looking rifle Tray, looks like your buddy will be very pleased with it.  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 11:39
Is that a Super Sniper variable on it?
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 14:11
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

Is that a Super Sniper variable on it?

Looks like a 10x rear focus SS, Sako. 
TraderJack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TraderJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2009 at 19:42
I looked hard at the 300 RUM.  But, like many above, I found the purchase hard to justify.  I asked myself, "What am I going to shoot at 1200 yds?" --- I couldn't come up with an answer.

I doubt if I'll be taking any game beyond 300-400 yds.  Lots of other good choices in that arena.  .308, 7mm, etc.

Personally, I like the recoil and stopping power of the big guns(That's why I looked at the 300 RUM).  But, Randy Garrett's loads(540 Gr WFNGC) in the 45-70 guide gun and a nice CZ 550 in .375 H&H do it for me.

But, surely get what you want!  That 300 RUM is one hellofa gun!
All the best,
TJ
“I would rather be your friend, but if you are not interested in that, I am prepared to be a capable and efficient enemy.”

- Jeff Cooper

Guns and Whiskey
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 01:29
Personally I think its pointless because if you really need more than a 30-06 or 300 Win Mag then you really need to step up to 338 Win Mag or 375 H&H.  308 and 30-06 have killed a lot of game and dont beat you up like the magnums.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2009 at 20:04
Big Grin
My Browning 300 RUM Stainless Stalker topped with an Elite 4200 2.5-10 x 50 ..Had the stock dipped by Bell and Carlson and put on a pre-fit Limbsaver pad. No doubt ammo is expensive ( then again what ammo isn't) . This one shoots 1 moa or better consistently ,plus the recoil isn't that bad. Draws a crowd at the range ,even though mine isn't ported . I like it . I have three 300 Wby's , 300 WSM ,a 338 Win Mag , plus this ,and none kick as bad as my 45/70's loaded with Buffalo Bore 400 Gr fodder at over 2000 fps. Either way , any 300 mag round will serve you well if that is what you want ... the key word there being "want"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 09:13
and then you run the possibility the down loaded commercial alternatives may not provide the level of accuracy you will be expecting, and if not a reloader you will be left with few alternatives. basically, everybody gets to go thru the big blaster phase in their life at least once, if you do have fun, until you get the itch for something new.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TraderJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 10:07

Nice looking rig Martin!
TJ

Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

Big Grin
My Browning 300 RUM Stainless Stalker topped with an Elite 4200 2.5-10 x 50 ..Had the stock dipped by Bell and Carlson and put on a pre-fit Limbsaver pad. No doubt ammo is expensive ( then again what ammo isn't) . This one shoots 1 moa or better consistently ,plus the recoil isn't that bad. Draws a crowd at the range ,even though mine isn't ported . I like it . I have three 300 Wby's , 300 WSM ,a 338 Win Mag , plus this ,and none kick as bad as my 45/70's loaded with Buffalo Bore 400 Gr fodder at over 2000 fps. Either way , any 300 mag round will serve you well if that is what you want ... the key word there being "want"
“I would rather be your friend, but if you are not interested in that, I am prepared to be a capable and efficient enemy.”

- Jeff Cooper

Guns and Whiskey
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 12:03
I'll admit the 300 Ultamag is overbore ..knew that when I bought it ..But it sure does shoot flat ,and at the time when I got it I hoped to take it on a elk hunt ( that fell through when I spent most of 2007 in a wheelchair ) .. As far as "sensible" 300 mags go --a traditional Win Mag or a Win Short Mag would certainly get the job done for less $...

Edited by martin3175 - October/31/2009 at 12:03
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 15:25
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

I'll admit the 300 Ultamag is overbore ..knew that when I bought it ..But it sure does shoot flat ,and at the time when I got it I hoped to take it on a elk hunt ( that fell through when I spent most of 2007 in a wheelchair ) .. As far as "sensible" 300 mags go --a traditional Win Mag or a Win Short Mag would certainly get the job done for less $...

that being said the ultra mag does have the cool factor that the others with exception of the .30-.378wby dont have. i mean that case is cavernous, nothing says pure power more than a case that can hold over 100gr of powder with a 200gr bullet on top of it. kinda like having a ferrari versus having a corvette really.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 16:17
Yeah, nice stick Martin.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TraderJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 16:35
Yep!  That 300 RUM sure does have bushels of 'coolness'.

It reminds me of an old dream of mine...
Hunting Africa with a 700 Nitro Express!Loco

But, sadly, it ain't gonna happen...

- Jeff Cooper

Guns and Whiskey
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 22:38
the .700 isnt near as bad as the smaller nitro's. (according to boddington)
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TraderJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2009 at 23:14
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

the .700 isnt near as bad as the smaller nitro's. (according to boddington)

The recoil isn't the problem... it's finding a double-gun I can afford!Bandito
Besides, at my age I'd likely die of excitement when I shot it!

Had a chance at one 25 years ago for $3500 and passed believing I would find another...
Now they're out of sight!
Not to be, friend.  Not to be.

Missed opportunity and regrettable decision...
TJ

- Jeff Cooper

Guns and Whiskey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic