OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New to Re-loading

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Re-loading
    Posted: October/21/2009 at 16:06
Hey everyone, I have zero experience in re-loading.  I would like to start when I get back to the states.  I want to load 30-06 and .22LR / .243.  I would like information (links would be great) in the form of a list of everything I will need to get started.  I just need the basics for now and will only be loading 30-06 to start with.  Thanks 
"Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 16:16
.22 Long rifle is a rimfire round.  Those cannot be reloaded, but the other two you should be able to have some fun with.

I would look into getting a RCBS or Hornady starter reloading kit.  They have everything you need to begin reloading and start to learn the process.  Buy some books on reloading and get some videos if you can.  David Tubbs has a couple videos that are excellent.  I learned more from those than years of reading books and interent forums.  That guy knows his stuff. 

It is a fun hobby and can save you quite a bit of cash if you shoot alot.  Plus you can make some pretty great ammo taylored to your gun. 

Edited by supertool73 - October/21/2009 at 16:19
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 16:19
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

zac_ereman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 16:47
Thank you supertool73.  I'm liking the Hornady set.  And, it is fairly low priced.  With this setup + the auto primer optional, about how many rounds could be made in an hour?

What is a smokey round?  I read about them but I don't know what they are.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 16:54
Do I need a license to re-load?
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 16:59
There is a lot of good information on reloading.  Most of it geared to shooting small lots of rifle ammo.  There are quicker ways of doing things like using a turret press.

I think the main thing I stress with people is the calibration of the scale.  When you shoot a lot of pistol stuff like I do, then you have to worry about tolerances of a small charge.  The beam style scales are accurate enought, IF, they are set up right.  If the table is a bit unlevel, then that can mask an error of a few tenths of a grain.  Which is why I suspect that you see some of the things you do in the loading manual.  That can also be why people may not be able to match the numbers in the books. To take this to the other way, my friend was .9 grains of Unique high in his .45 Long Colt (one of the better clones) and wondered why the base pin worked loose and his cylinder bulged.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 17:01
Originally posted by zac_ereman zac_ereman wrote:

Do I need a license to re-load?

Only if you are going to sell it.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 17:07
How many could you load an hour?  That is really a tough question to answer.  If you are just dumping volume from your powder meter and not weighting each round, you could probably do 40 to 50 an hour.  But realistically a person will put in more time than that to make really accurate loads by doing other things mostly with brass prep.  I made 50 rounds of 6.8 rem spc, the other day and I spent just over an hour on my single stage press.

If you are looking to make a lot of ammo in a hurry get a Dillon 650 or the Hornady progressive.  Then you can make hundreds of rounds an hour.  I have the Hornady progressive and once set up I can do 300 to 400 an hour.  You might not get the super precision you can get by taking your time and hand tailoring each load, but you can still load some real nice ammo.  And lets face it, most of us do not have the rifle or skill in shooting or reloading itself to make super precise ammo.  So progessives can make things real nice if you shoot a lot of ammo.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 17:09
Shocked  Get Your Popcorn Ready
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 17:27
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

How many could you load an hour?  That is really a tough question to answer.  If you are just dumping volume from your powder meter and not weighting each round, you could probably do 40 to 50 an hour.  But realistically a person will put in more time than that to make really accurate loads by doing other things mostly with brass prep.  I made 50 rounds of 6.8 rem spc, the other day and I spent just over an hour on my single stage press.

If you are looking to make a lot of ammo in a hurry get a Dillon 650 or the Hornady progressive.  Then you can make hundreds of rounds an hour.  I have the Hornady progressive and once set up I can do 300 to 400 an hour.  You might not get the super precision you can get by taking your time and hand tailoring each load, but you can still load some real nice ammo.  And lets face it, most of us do not have the rifle or skill in shooting or reloading itself to make super precise ammo.  So progessives can make things real nice if you shoot a lot of ammo.

I don't really want to produce large quantities.  I prefer good quality over quantity.  Thanks you the informaiton though.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 04:22
Originally posted by zac_ereman zac_ereman wrote:

What is a smokey round?  I read about them but I don't know what they are.

It's an old trick to determine a given rounds OAL. I always used a Sharpie though. They sell bullet comparators for that.

More on that later, Grasshopper. 
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 04:56
CT, your showing your age Bro.   Laugh Above 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 21:37
Get Sinclairs' Precision Reloading Handbook, lots of good info there if you want to get into precision and quality handloads. www.sinclairintl.com

Texas
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2009 at 21:31
just went to Sinclairs' site and could NOT find that manual!
take em!
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 10:11
I have that book, but I got it 15 years ago. I assumed it was still available. I'll look around the Sinclair site myself...
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 10:22
I think it must be out of print. This sounds like it is pretty close to the same thing.

Sorry for the mix-up.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 10:52
  Here ya go,Tip:

Do yourself a favor and get this catalog.  It's more than just a catalog.  Got LOTS side bar of tips and even the product discrips have good info with them.  I've got their 7th edition "Precision Reloading Handbook" in paperback.  If you want,I'll see if the wife can run a copy off at school.  It's from '89 I believe,so there have been advancements in reloading techniques and equip.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311GRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2009 at 23:56
UH and depending on the state you are located IE CALIFORNIA you will be licensed,fingerprinted...the works, but I suggest not living there...lol. Anyway in Missouri you do not need a license to sell ammo. It is like anything else, once you make over a set limit of money in anything you have to report yor wages to the feds. I would buy a sierra reloading book and get you some hornady coefficient/ballistics charts and have fun......Always remember with anything envolving powder you must have a healthy respect for it as it is dangerous. Also stay in tolerences on powder load limitations per the caliber reloaded.
You cant hit what you cant see
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic