OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Shooting snakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2009 at 03:18
I think snakes is one of the reasons for Taurus originally putting out the Judge revolver.  There were guns like it in the past, they were requested make a more modern version and it has been selling like hot-cakes for them.  It seems like a good choice if you go outdoors in a place that has a variety of animals that might be harmful such as snakes, mountain lions, bears, wild boar, etc. have a couple .410 birdshot shotshells in there and 3 Cor-Bon or Buffalo Bore 300 grain .45 Colt rounds.

The .410 shotshells should be much better than any CCI shotshells for common pistol cartridges and the .45 Colt cartridges with heavy bullets at 1,000-1,200fps should penetrate at least 36" of any of those other animals.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2009 at 10:09
Bond Arms Snake Slayer,  Goes with me everytime I go hunting!
davelandefeld View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davelandefeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 15:04
.22 Ruger pistol if I'm out hiking with it.

.410 Marlin lever if I'm out looking for them, skunks also.

NEVER kill a king snake, they eat rattlers for you!

Garters take care of your rodent problem too.
It still holds true that man is most uniquely human when he turns obstacles into opportunities.
Eric Hoffer
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2010 at 20:34
Originally posted by Preston Preston wrote:

A good snake is a dead snake

Almost, I like'm battered and fried too!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 15:16
Figured this was a fitting place to post about my first snake slaying of the year.  Good ole cottonmouth was sunning on the side of the irrigation pond.  Used the CZ452 and took him out!  fun to see them wigle around violently in the water after they loose their head! 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 15:36

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 16:09
personal picture?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 16:19
Yep... rattlesnakes in spring time.

Was with my daughter at "deer camp", it got a little scary after we saw the third one... quite a story. 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 16:22
dang.  we dont see many rattlers around here anymore thank goodness!

Edited by SVT_Tactical - April/12/2010 at 16:22
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 16:32
I don't know, the cottonmouths in your area sound pretty nasty!!!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2010 at 16:34
I remember working on a ranch as a kid and we would go spray the ditch banks with round up and banvil.  When ever we saw the rattlers we would just blast them with the spray.  It would really wind them up.  Then we would just stomp on their head and cut them off with our knives.  I bet we killed 20 that way over the 5 or 6 years I worked on the ranch.  Good times.  Big Grin
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2010 at 15:33
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 09:50
I'll just wait till the next rest area thanks.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 10:18
I have found that a good strong stick with some reach, swung with the fluid shock wave principle is enough to break the back of the snake and result in it's demise. 40S&W works well too, and 12Ga cuts them no slack. Baseball Bat               .Snake
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 10:30
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I've had way too many close calls with snakes.  I had one drop through a hole in the ceiling of the shower while I was taking a shower.  I consider myself lucky to have not been bitten as Ive had dozens of very close encounters and killed thousands of them in Texas.  I rarely see them in Iowa.

You actually had a snake come through the ceiling while in the shower? Damn, id have a hard time getting back in there lol. That's crazy stuff.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 15:21
 Don't forget. As hunters you should eat what ya kill!

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 15:33
Heard it was good, but have never tried it.  Actually, never seen it offered either.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 16:59
 First time I had it a friend had stopped by yrs back with 6pcs (cleaned) of a rattler they killed on the job that day.  My wife had a pan of fried chicken on so she just battered the pcs up and tossed them in.  GOOD STUFF!!  The fried chicken was flat and bland tasteing in comparison.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 17:55
Many an outlaw ate that in the west back in the olden days.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 18:03
 They coulda ate worse!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic