OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver 3-9x32AO vs Nikon Monarch 2-8x32

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HEC3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver 3-9x32AO vs Nikon Monarch 2-8x32
    Posted: October/20/2009 at 12:04
I have been researching scope choices for a CZ452 Varmint in 17 M2 that I got from my Dad.  I know that this is an accurate rifle and want to put a decent scope on it.  I have a couple of Tasco's, a Simmons 44Mag and a Leupold 2x on a pistol.  So, my experience with quality optics is limited.  I haven't purchased a scope since I bought the Leupold about 20 years ago.

I would like a compact scope for the CZ and I think AO would be nice, but not 100% necessary (unless someone can convice me otherwise).  I will definitely use this rifle for squirrel hunting as well as general plinking and paper targets for fun.  I don't intend to shoot competition target at this time.

I started out thinking the Weaver 3-9x32AO for $220 would be a good choice.

The Leupold 3-9x33AO for $400 would be good as well, but I don't want to spend that much money.  I did come across the Leupold in a local gun shop for $300 and almost bought it, but still think I should spend less.

Now, I have found a Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 on the sample list for $200.  I have heard good things about the Monarchs.  My Dad has one (not the 2-8x32) on a deer rifle that he likes.  When I started this reasearch two months ago, I dismissed the Monarch because I thought it would cost at least $400.  The 2-8x32 has a 100 yd parallax setting, which isn't ideal for a rimfire.  But, is it acceptable for a 17 M2?  Will Nikon change it for me and at what cost?

I have looked at the Bushnell 4200 series.  The AO's are out of my price range and I think the 3-9x40 will have a long parallax setting like the Monarch and cost more ($300).  I also think this scope will look out of place on the short CZ.

I am trying to decide between the Weaver 3-9x32AO which meets all of my needs or spend $20 less on the Monarch to get better optics and trade the AO for 100 yd parallax.  I am just assuming the Monarch has better optics than the Weaver.  I cannot find either of these in my local gun shops.

What are your opinions?  Is the Monarch better optically than the Weaver?  Would I miss the AO?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Howard

HEC3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HEC3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 09:38
As I continue to research this, I find that the refurb Nikon's warranty is 90 days, not lifetime as with a new Nikon.  Do you think if I mount the scope quickly and find it is OK, then it should be OK for a long while?

The Weaver has a lifetime warranty.  I know it is not transferable if I sell the scope, but I haven't sold any gun or scope I ever owned.

Also, I haven't had any trouble out of the scopes I currently own, except I lost the rubber ring from the ocular of one Tasco.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 17:36
The Monarch glass is always good and at $200.00 for a sample list scope appears to be an excellent deal, I'd go with the nikon.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 17:45
Welcome to Optics Talk.

I love the Monarchs, but I bet that BIG ocular lens housing gets in the way of your bolt throw on that CZ, friend.

I'd recommend the Weaver, based on trusted reviews on this fine forum. I'm hoping to get a Weaver 2-7x rim fire for my CZ 452 .22LR myself soon.
Damn this recession to Hades!!!!   Grrrrr 
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 01:34
It all depends on what you're going to be using the rifle for. I'm a fan of Monarch optics but I prefer a rimfire scope or a scope with AO on a rimfire rifle - unless you keep the magnification low (Say ~7x and below) or the ranges 100yds or better. For close up (0-70yds) hunting I'd be tempted to go with a Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28. For 50yds and beyond or target shooting I'd consider the RV9, or maybe even a Weaver V16 depending on the range.

Below is my old CZ453 Varmint with a Weaver T24 24x40 that I used to use for bench shooting. Note how high those rings are. That's because the CZ's long bolt throw has a heck of a time clearing any ocular bell. These happen to be CZ's own medium rings and that's about as low as you can go and still have the bolt clear the ocular.

This is a custom 10/22 with the Weaver RV9 you were asking about.

This is a custom 10/22 with a Weaver V24 which is about the same size as a V16.

I have that 2-8x32 Monarch and it's a great scope but the ocular is big. I have one mounted to a youth sized 308 (top) that's about the size of your CZ and I think that you might have to mount it really high for the bolt to clear.

Edited by sholling - October/22/2009 at 01:46
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 08:45
my CZ452 22LR has the Weaver 3-9 you mentioned
love it, perfect little scope
I can literally drive thumb tacks with it at 50 yards
my son's scout has the 2-7 on it
HEC3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HEC3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 13:27
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have decided not to go with the Monarch.

I have it narrowed down to the Weaver RV9 or the V16.

I know in my original post I stated that I wanted a compact scope.  But, I have seen quite a few CZ's with the V16 and it doesn't really look too big.

I have been thinking that the flat trajectory of the 17 M2 cartridge and varmint barrel might just deserve the higher magnification scope.  Hunting with it set to 4X is definitely doable.  I have been hunting with a 22LR and a fixed 4X forever.  And, it could be a lot of fun shooting long range targets.  The gun range just a mile from my house has a 100 yd range and you shoot through a culvert.  Might be able to produce some very good groups without having to deal with the wind.  The 16X magnification might be fun in this regard.

The gun is already heavy, so trying to save weight on the scope might be too little too late.  The reason I have the gun is my Dad wanted something lighter.  He replaced it with a Magnum Research 10/17M2 with a carbon fiber barrel.

If anybody wants to offer pro's and con's of the RV9 and V16, I'm all ears.

Thanks again,
Howard 
HEC3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HEC3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 13:46

Additional question on reticles.

The V16 can be had with duplex, fine crosshair and fine crosshair with dot.  If I decide on the V16, which reticle would your recommend?  I have always used a duplex in the past.  Maybe a simple crosshair in my youth, but can't remember.  The duplex would seam to be ideal for hunting and the fine crosshair with dot ideal for paper targets.

Thanks for your help,
Howard
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 14:56
the Weaver fine cross hair with dot is VERY fine, would not be good in low light

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 17:16
Nice stable of firearms, Sholling.  
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 17:21
I like duplex for general use and fine for target use. Dot's are for varmints. 
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 18:58
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Nice stable of firearms, Sholling.  

Thanks. I'm still working a couple but they're on hold until I get back to work.

HEC3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HEC3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 14:24
Thanks everyone for the suggestions/opinions/help.  I placed an order with SWFA for the V16 with plex reticule.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2009 at 15:50
Let us know how it suits you. Good shooting!
Sharp Shooter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic