OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Federal To Offer Componant Bullets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Federal To Offer Componant Bullets
    Posted: October/19/2009 at 15:13
I was watching a hunting show last week and a gentleman from Federal said that they are going to be offering the "Fusion" and "Trophy Tip Bear Claw" as componant bullets to the general public.  Has anyone else heard this?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 18:30
I hope so.  I've heard good things about the trophy bonded bear claws.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 19:53
Trophy Bonded Bear Claws have been out in bullet form for quite a while, I think what will be new is the Trophy Tipped Bear Claws.  Essentially a plastic tipped Bear Claw. 

The TBBC's are great downrange performers, much like the Swift A Frame in the way they open to a big mushroom and stay together.   They are expensive though and I would think the tipped ones would not be any cheaper. 

For instance these are a few prices on the boxes of TBBC's on my shelf:

22 caliber 55 gr box of 50 - $51.97
6.5 caliber 140 gr box of 25 - $42.97
30 caliber 165 gr box of 25 - $23.97 (that box must be 5 years old)

The 22 caliber bullets shoot pretty good but for a 22-250 that doesn't want to shoot anything heavier than 55 grains they are a good bullet for hogs or larger game.

I would not hesitate to hunt Elk with the 140 gr 6.5 gr TBBC.

There are a lot more economical bullet choices in the 30 caliber bullets that are just as good.

Don't know about the Fusion stuff but would like to see Winchester put out the XP3 in boxed bullets.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 19:57
Would like to see winchester put out the new powermax bonded bullets.......and cheap. Maybe they could make one in a .30 cal 180 gr. They are kind of a good looking bullet. Far better looking than the old powerpoint. and prices, at least for a short mag, are in line with the old ammo.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 06:47
Bob, you are correct it is the "tipped trophy bear claw", the silver one that will be made available.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 07:49
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

30 caliber 165 gr box of 25 - $23.97 (that box must be 5 years old)

That is really cheap. I bought a bunch of the 160 grain 7mm from Jack Carter and paid $45/25 years ago.
They are definitely one of my favorite bullets. They took awhile for me to dial in but now they shoot with my 160 grain SGK's. I still don't need them for deer, though.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 10:26
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Would like to see winchester put out the new powermax bonded bullets.......and cheap. Maybe they could make one in a .30 cal 180 gr. They are kind of a good looking bullet. Far better looking than the old powerpoint. and prices, at least for a short mag, are in line with the old ammo.

+1  Tried them b/c Scheels had a box for $15 130gr.  Grouped very well.  Went back and the price was $19.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 11:46
I reload so I haven't used them in a couple years but I really liked the Fusions, esp. because they not only shot well and were effective on an elk but were $11 w/rebate when I bought 'em. I'd certainly be interested in trying the bullets with my own loads.
Reaction time is a factor...
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 20:14
The November 2009 Rifle magazine has a blurb that says the Bear Claw bullets will be available from Federal, all three lines. It said they have been redesigned to shoot better, have "bourrelet" grooves (look kind of like the GS Custom driving bands or Barnes TSX with thinner grooves), and get this, they are "flash plated" with a thin coat of nickel to reduce fouling. There is a picture of them in the article, they look pretty cool in .416 Rigby wth nickel plated brass. Definitely silver-bullet lycan (werewolf) hunting ammo...

Texas
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 20:43
How's your .458 doing?  Any fancy bullets for it?
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 21:21
Howdy, Kickboxer!

Well, the last I loaded up and shot were Barnes 350 gr TSX over Ramshot TAC powder. 90 grains of TAC was shooting one big ragged hole 3-shot groups at 100 yards - but I ran out of scope adjustment and shoulder that day trying to get the big CZ zeroed right at 100 and I haven't got back on it. I didn't run those loads over the chrono but they sure felt fast to the feller behind the trigger! I am trying to figure out how to shim the Talley QD rings on the rifle so I can get her zeroed right (they are mounted on integral dovetails on the receiver), and I have also been real focused on getting the other rifles ready for rifle whitetail season to the detriment of the Lott effort. I'll probably fool with it this weekend. I have the 375 and the 338s and 300 and 280 Ackley all ready to go with fresh handloads for whitetail. The American buffalos are still moving around in west Texas on our muley lease ranch, so I have a little time before the Lott really has to be ready to go. Also, I got some 400 gr GS Custom bullets off of Gunbroker.com I want to try, I guess those are fancy bullets! They sure as heck are expensive at $2.00 each... but I haven't shot any yet. Anyway, I still like the rifle, it and my 375H&H are my favorites these days. I'll be hunting trophy whitetail Nov. 7 with the 375 H&H if it isn't raining and with the Ackley if it is!

Good hunting!

Tom
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 21:42
Originally posted by Texas Texas wrote:

Howdy, Kickboxer!

Well, the last I loaded up and shot were Barnes 350 gr TSX over Ramshot TAC powder. 90 grains of TAC was shooting one big ragged hole 3-shot groups at 100 yards - but I ran out of scope adjustment and shoulder that day trying to get the big CZ zeroed right at 100 and I haven't got back on it. I didn't run those loads over the chrono but they sure felt fast to the feller behind the trigger! I am trying to figure out how to shim the Talley QD rings on the rifle so I can get her zeroed right (they are mounted on integral dovetails on the receiver), and I have also been real focused on getting the other rifles ready for rifle whitetail season to the detriment of the Lott effort. I'll probably fool with it this weekend. I have the 375 and the 338s and 300 and 280 Ackley all ready to go with fresh handloads for whitetail. The American buffalos are still moving around in west Texas on our muley lease ranch, so I have a little time before the Lott really has to be ready to go. Also, I got some 400 gr GS Custom bullets off of Gunbroker.com I want to try, I guess those are fancy bullets! They sure as heck are expensive at $2.00 each... but I haven't shot any yet. Anyway, I still like the rifle, it and my 375H&H are my favorites these days. I'll be hunting trophy whitetail Nov. 7 with the 375 H&H if it isn't raining and with the Ackley if it is!

Good hunting!

Tom

i too will be in the field for opening day of whitetail season up here on nov 7th with my .375H&H. good luck with yours!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 22:37
Good luck with the hunt and the 375, Pyro! We will have to compare notes on the autopsies! I'm using Barnes 270 TSXs over Ramshot Big Game. What loads are you set up with?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 22:44
Good hunting to you both... my season starts 21 Nov.  Looks like I'll be elsewhere. 
Texas, glad to see you are still liking the Lott.  I've got to get some sighting in done SOON.  I have some 400gr bullets loaded by Grizzly Ammo that are really good.  250 yd max, though... 1450 FPS MV.  Great knockdown, though. 

May the spirits guide you. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 06:18
270gr hornady over 72.5gr of imr 4064. with the 26" barrel i have its chronoing loads around 2700fps.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 06:39
  Now that's a FLAT shooter,pyro!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 09:30
Gun powder is interesting stuff.  I use 4064 in my .22-250 as does Pyro and others but it always makes me hesitate just a moment when you see a powder used in small cal in a large cal.  It is sound application, but the mind gets caught up in thinking "small cal rounds can not use the same powder as large cal rounds" .  Glad your large bores are working for you guys.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 06:19
once you hit a certain point in the upper echelon off calibers you start to go backwards with powder selection. at about the .358 diameter is when you start to see loads looking more like something for a 22-250 but times a factor of 2 or 3. they list a couple of loads for stuff like h-414 or imr 4831, but the performance just isnt there.

doug uses 4064 in his 22-250 as well.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 12:43
Pyro, you should give Ramshot Big Game a go with those Hornady 270s. It really groups well in my 375 with the 270 TSXs @ 76.5 gr Big Game and 3.666" COAL. About 0.75 MOA.
I need to chrono those loads, last trip to the range I forgot the chrono case... DOH!!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2009 at 16:51
ive only tried 4064, r-15, h-380 varget 4895 and also imr 4831. the 4064 so far has shot the best. im always open to suggestions though.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic