OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Calling your rifle a "sniper" rifle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:49
Originally posted by zac_ereman zac_ereman wrote:

Thank you for your appreciation cheaptrick and Ick.

When asked what my rifle is, I tell them:  "It's a Winchester Model 70 .30-06"

As far as the people that don't think we should own these weapons, it is because of people like us that do, that they are even allowed to express that.  (Did that make any sense)

As far as us (military), we have to be able to shoot out to 300 meters with iron sights.  While at the same time, we are timed in this event.

Here is the typical layout when shooting:
20 rounds from the prone supported
10 rounds from the prone unsupported
10 rounds from the kneeling position - which is quite difficult for some people 

And you POGs that qual once every year or every other year, good for you.  A REMF is a REMF, nothing to be ashamed of, they are as necessary as the grunts on the front line, but seldom the two shall mix.

300 meters is not, in military ease, "extended range."
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
zac_ereman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:53

Would I ever call myself a military or police sniper: No, I haven't attended the schools required and I don't shoot human targets or enemy equipment.

"Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:54
Good for you Rancid.  You can catch a bullet faster than others.  Great work.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:57

Thank you for your appreciation cheaptrick and Ick.

When asked what my rifle is, I tell them:  "It's a Winchester Model 70 .30-06"

As far as the people that don't think we should own these weapons, it is because of people like us that do, that they are even allowed to express that.  (Did that make any sense)

As far as us (military), we have to be able to shoot out to 300 meters with iron sights.  While at the same time, we are timed in this event.

Here is the typical layout when shooting:
20 rounds from the prone supported
10 rounds from the prone unsupported
10 rounds from the kneeling position - which is quite difficult for some people 
"40 ROUNDS..."
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 17:02
HOOAH
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 18:36
Remf, Pogs, and Snipers Oh My!
I suppose it's a good way to boost your post count.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 19:08
Sure.  I guess whatever floats your boat.  We all work for the man, and he pays us all the same.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 20:08
If you have Eric Clapton's guitar are you a rock star?  If you have guitar just like Eric Clapton's are you a rock star? If Eric Clapton has your guitar, is he still a rock star?  Same arguments...
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 20:11
Beating a Dead Horse
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 09:29

Sure.  I guess whatever floats your boat.  We all work for the man, and he pays us all the same.

You seem to cherish inaccurate generalizations: noted.

As for catching bullets: I throw better than I catch.

Over and out.

Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 09:50
sometime after my last post I found myself completely lost as to what the topic is and what everyone is trying to say.

I feel like a hockey player all geared up.... playing in a football game.
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 10:36

Cheaptrick, although it clearly states: "...— That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

..................................John Locke
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 10:54
Originally posted by Ick Ick wrote:

sometime after my last post I found myself completely lost as to what the topic is and what everyone is trying to say.

The topic is about calling your firearm/weapon whatever you want to.

Then people just started bashing others because we scored higher on our placement test and got to choose better jobs.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 11:01
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Cheaptrick, although it clearly states: "...— That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

..................................John Locke

The Declaration of Independence
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 11:16
True, but the Founding Fathers took this from Locke's Second Treatise of Government. I have read it throughout. Those writings had a remarkable impact on the American Revolution.

Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 11:47

Originally posted by Ick Ick wrote:

The topic is about calling your firearm/weapon whatever you want to.

Then people just started bashing others because we scored higher on our placement test and got to choose better jobs.

There go the generalizations again.

I've known a few dumb grunts, no doubt, but haven't run into any idiot snipers; maybe you run in different circles than do/did I. 

In the end, you smart guys are gonna run the show, and us dumbies will just run around waiting for your wisdom.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 14:05
Mr Mike, Halloween is just around the corner. Pass the candy corn!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 15:28

Hey Rancid, do me a favor and reach down between your legs, grab your panties, and untangle them.

If you don't like what we are talking about in this forum, you have every right to leave.  Dogging people because they aren't "your job" or because they disagree with you is not what this forum is about.

That said, take a deep breath and change your tampon!No No
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 15:36

To quote CT, Check your fire!

Please keep it civil.  Disagreements are ok but Rancid ain't going nowhere!
God save the Empire!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 16:15
You start a thread whining about all the whining about threads online.

You make generalizations that result in your calling yourself a sniper.

You degrade and belittle grunts and snipers, and insinuate that we couldn't score high enough to have your job so we settled for "bullet catchers."

And now I am to unwad my panties and change my tampon?

I am far, far beyond the need to prove myself to a 20-something kid (thanx for your service!) or the need to validate my existence through your affirmation.  This is your thread, I'll vacate the thread (should'a long ago, sorry now I didn't) but I'd still contend that a sniper rifle is a piece of gear issued to a billetted sniper, any other application of the term is wannabe posturing.

Be as safe in Afghanistan as you can be in Afghanistan.

And when you get home, change the trigger in your Model 70 if you want, but time on the trigger, any trigger, trumps new-fangled gear or upgrades that skill level doesn't justify.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic