OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low Variable Power Scope for 7mm08?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeakyWaders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Variable Power Scope for 7mm08?
    Posted: October/19/2009 at 11:33
Heya,

I posted recently asking about fixed scope recommendations and got some great feedback. But, last week, we were looking at some coyote calling videos on youtube and some of those things were like charging right into the caller.

I was thinking...I'll be back from deployment at the end of deer season and will certainly be calling some yotes for off season practice and fun. My 4x might be hard to aim on something running so close.

Leupold has a euro 1x4 and nikon has a 1 x 4. Maybe one of these kind of scopes would be more versatile? Do you guys have any experience with this power range?

Thanks for the discussion...it's like a nice touch from back home in the middle of endless sand.

L.W.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 12:56
Have both a VXII 1-4x20 which is quite nice, another nice low powered scope that is very resonably priced is the Weaver v3, 1-3x20. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 15:48
Given your application Trijicon has an interesting low power hunting scope. The Euro scope from Leupold only changes the tube size.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:35
Welcome to The OT and thank you so very much for your service!!
Glad your back home, friend. Soldier
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 16:42
Roger that...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 17:36
This kinda depends on your price range.  If you can spend some more money, Trijicon 1-4x24 with their fiber optic illuminated reticle is probably the way to go.  Very fast acquisition.

For less money, there are a few good scopes available.  I am selling Elite 4200 1.25-4x24 which is a more affordable scope that works well (you can stop by the "Optics for Sale" forum for more info).

ILya
LeakyWaders View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeakyWaders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 09:57
Thanks for the replies so far...I'm not back home yet.

So the trijicon come in 30 mm and 1 inch tubes, any difference? Or is it just user preference?

For the bushnell with 1.25 low power - can you shoot it with both eyes open? Or is the 1.25 too much power to do that for something running?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 10:29
I have the TR24 with the german # 4 and green dot

personally, after having several accupoints and a few ACOGS I think the chevron is faster but the dot is more precise
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 10:39
Accupoint 1" tube has a bit more eye relief and I have one on my 223 with a red triangle.  Go for the #4 german if you can.  I like mine.  FOV is good for that power range scope.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeakyWaders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 12:58
Sorry...one more question from you trijicon owners. When you have the scope on low power, can you see the barrel of your gun in the fov? If so, is it bothersome or just like a shadow on the bottom?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 14:21
Yes, at low power you usually see your barrel.

As far as using the scope with both eyes open goes, that often depends on the reticle and the type of shooting you do.  With most scopes I can comfortably keep my eyes open up to about 2x - 2.5x, but that is different for everyone.

At 1.25x, I do not think that most people would have any problems keeping both eyes open.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeakyWaders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 16:22
Thanks for the replies ILya. So I tried to reply to the optics for sale forum but I got a message that said I couldn't reply.

I want to buy that 4200 elite that you referenced and try it out. I can always use it on something else if I don't like it I imagine. Can you email me some contact information so my wife can mail you a check or something?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 16:28
Originally posted by LeakyWaders LeakyWaders wrote:

Thanks for the replies ILya. So I tried to reply to the optics for sale forum but I got a message that said I couldn't reply.

I want to buy that 4200 elite that you referenced and try it out. I can always use it on something else if I don't like it I imagine. Can you email me some contact information so my wife can mail you a check or something?

PM inbound.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 17:23
Originally posted by LeakyWaders LeakyWaders wrote:

So the trijicon come in 30 mm and 1 inch tubes, any difference? Or is it just user preference?

If you are comparing the 1.25-4X24 (# TR21, 1" tube) and 1-4X24 (# TR24, 30mm tube) Trijicons, there's a BIG difference.  The 30mm TR24 Accupoint is a superior scope in all respects.  It has wider FOV, fixed eye relief (vs. the variable ER of the 1" scope that has a pretty large span from high to low magnification), and longer mounting length.  The latter difference is due to the fact the TR21 has a slight objective bell that limits ring spacing, whereas the TR24 has a straight tube, allowing wider ring spacing.  Also, the TR24 has much less "tunnel vision" than the TR21.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic