OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Affordable Tactical Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hongster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Affordable Tactical Scope
    Posted: October/18/2009 at 17:39
Can't afford a high end scope but looking around $200-$300 with rings.  Was thinking about the Mueller Tac II 4x10x44mm or Hawke Frontier 2.5x10x44mm.  These two are said to be built in Japan so I figured they would be better than the Chinese made ones.  It'll be for a new build on a Howa 308 heavy barrel action and B&C vertical grip stock.  Looking at variable 10x magnification.  Any other suggestions besides these two?  Remember I'm on a tight budget.  Has to be within the price range.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 08:46
The Super Sniper will get you a true afforadable Tactical scope.  There are a lot of wantabes, that will fall short.  
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 18:41
I own the Hawke you seek in mildot,I also own the SS........Hands down the Super Sniper 10X
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 18:47
Since your topic is "Affordable Tactical Scope", I moved this to the proper thread...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 22:37
Check out Sightron. They have a pretty deep catalog and you will find several examples in your price range.
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 22:56
i played with a muller tac and the glass is outstanding, the turents are percise and have a great click and sound to them. we shot the box with it and exactly back to where the first shot was. dead on. the scope is made in japan in the same factory where the sightron big sky scopes are made, dam nice scope for the less than $300 range. i would buy one in a minute but have no use for one.
leitzman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leitzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 03:00
Originally posted by hongster hongster wrote:

Was thinking about the Mueller Tac II 4x10x44mm or Hawke Frontier 2.5x10x44mm.

I've seen both and please, don't waste your money.

The Super Sniper has been mentioned and it is a decent scope, the Sightrons have become really good scopes (the older ones were not...) if you pay a bit more than you were wanting to but the best bargain by far is the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40. Get one of those and a good set of rings (I use Burris Signature on mostly all my rifles now since I've gotten tired of lapping rings, plus that they offer an easy way to tilt the scope for long-range). That'd even leave you with some spare cash for ammo...

The Elite scopes are tough mechanically, adjusts the way they should and the optics are good enough for all non-nocturnal activities.

-- Mats
Shoot low boys, they're ridin' Shetland ponies!
leitzman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leitzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 03:28
Originally posted by skilly1979 skilly1979 wrote:

i played with a muller tac and the glass is outstanding, the turents are percise and have a great click and sound to them. we shot the box with it and exactly back to where the first shot was.

The one I tried was nothing like that. Or, well, the optics weren't bad but it suffered from ~1,5 MOA shift when zooming, did not track (although it shot to the same POI when returned), the clicks on the height turret went KLI-KLI-KLI-KLI turning up but were almost silent in the other direction and groups shot with this scope mounted showed un-called fliers.

This was with the scope mounted on a Sako P94 .22 LR, don't think it was the recoil killing it... It was returned and exchanged, USPS smashed up the replacement bad enough to have something rolling around in it (no apparent damage to the scope, box slightly crumbled) and my friend instead bought a chinese Optisan (MTC) Viper 6-24x56 which, apart from being ugly as hell and lacking in clarity at top, has performed 100% in all tests we've put it through this far - including my lightweight .375 H&H. Frustrating though with four 1/8 MOA clicks per full marking - standard chinese I-didn't-think-o-that-but-who-gives-a-rats-behind, I guess...

I'm not saying that you're wrong or that the scope you tested was bad, but the one I did DEFINITELY was. And this, I beleive, is the markings of crap: some might work as they're supposed to, but...

-- Mats
Shoot low boys, they're ridin' Shetland ponies!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic