OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

bench rests

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bench rests
    Posted: October/17/2009 at 10:50
 I am currently using an old Hoppe's gun rest and I am thinking about upgrading to the Caldwell Rock BR is it worth the price? My old hoppe's isn't broke I'm just thinking a heavier rest will help hold a little steadier, giving me tighter groups and getting the full potential out of the gun. Any input from the target shooters?
 Froogy
froggy
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 11:21
This what I use.
Really lets you clamp it down and take shooter error out of the equation.
(She's expensive though.)
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 12:38
Bought a Caldwell Rock BR a month ago and while it's not a top line sinclair, it is a really solid and easily adjustable front rest.  I would not hesitate in recommending one, just don't forget to put some money into a rear bag that's equally well built.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 13:00
I've never paid much attention to BR stuff, but reading above posts went and checked out equipment.  I never knew how poor a shooter I was until I found out all the stuff I don't have...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
matc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 15:16

hello

I use a cowan rest it is the best rest for the money and made in the usa

here are some pics

http://benchrest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8505&d=1252938280

you can also read this

search it for yourself

matt

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 15:29
Looks good...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 17:34
 MATC, consider yourself lucky. I just looked up the Cowan rest and see that there is well over a years waiting list for them, and no marketing anywhere I can find.
froggy
matc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 20:41
Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

MATC, consider yourself lucky. I just looked up the Cowan rest and see that there is well over a years waiting list for them, and no marketing anywhere I can find.

I have had mine for 2 years  and only live about 40 min from were there made .  I had them engrave my name into it. 

If you are planing on shooting BR matchs I would get this rest . I had to wait for mine also.
I used a cheap caldweld for sometime before I got a good rest.

good luck
matt
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2009 at 08:33
Here is what I use:
http://www.targetshooting.com/
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
nightranger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 21:18
I purchased a Caldwell Lead Sled about 1 year ago and I love it.  The only issue I had is that for shots over 100 yards you have to adjust the front craddle rest up as high as possible and when you tighen it up to lock it down it was not very solid and it wobbled alot.  My solution was to buy two nylon 1" high spacers at the hardware store and install the in the front leg mounts.  This required buying a large mounting screw for the leg mounts.  Now I only have to raise the front rest 50% to get on targe for 100-400 yard shots and my platform is solid as can be.
nightranger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 21:19
When I get to 50 post I will post a picture showing what I did as my description may not be very clear to all
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 05:56
  Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up buying the Caldwell Rock BR but have not had a chance to use it yet.
 I had emergency surgery on my lumbar spine Nov. 2 and I am trying to recover(surgery #6) but with this sub freezing weather we have been having here in the northeast getting out is tough to do.
 This particular rest weighs in at about 18lbs., has all the adjustments of the really high dollar ones and I found it on line for almost half the normal asking price. Paid $150
  When the temps. go up abit I will try and get to the range and try it out, seeing as how I have 2 new rifles and 2 others that need to be sitghted in. I will report back on this rest when I get to use it.
froggy
loaded4bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loaded4bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 12:47

I use the Rock BR and I'm very happy with.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 13:09
Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

I had emergency surgery on my lumbar spine Nov. 2 and I am trying to recover(surgery #6) but with this sub freezing weather we have been having here in the northeast getting out is tough to do.

Sorry to hear about the back troubles, Roger.
 Back pain can make life downright miserable; I hope your recovery goes well.
                                                                              Ron
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 16:00
 Thanks Ron. I went to the Dr. yesterday and the overall outlook isn't good. This last surgery is doing good but the one from a year ago when they put in rods and screws is FUBAR 2 of the screws broke and the docs are throwing up their hands, say fixing it is or could cause more problems. Trying a new med for pain but it will take a week to kick in.
 I am not feeling sorry for myself, there are people worse off than I. I will play the cards I get dealt and hopefully the tide will turn. What sucks the most is not being able to get to the range(about ready to open the window and pick off the tree rats in the neighbors yard).
froggy
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 16:31
 Wow!
 It's cool that you're not feeling sorry for yourself, but I hope you don't mind if I feel at least a little sorry for you.
  That really sucks, Man!

It sure sounds like somebody chose the wrong size screws for that particular surgical application or something like that.

Are they itanium or stainless? 

I know that the back vertebrae are subjected to thousands of pounds of pressure per square inch during various normal everyday activities, so perhaps it isn't too shocking that a screw could break in that location...
 Anyway, I wish you the best outcome possible.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 16:38
   Ron they are titanium. The hospital charged $6456 per screw when the bill was figured out. Glad I wasn't paying out of pocket. Now all they say is "OH WELL"
froggy
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 16:41
 Sheesh!

Quoddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quoddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 16:05
I just got a Sinclair B/R shooting rest and Protektor heavy sand filled bags today. Maybe now I can get that elusive sub 1/2" with my Cooper. I must be getting old, because, handheld at 100 yards, I couldn't get consistent sets of 3. No excuse now when I get to use them. 
.204 Because Speed Kills
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 17:14
Originally posted by Quoddy Quoddy wrote:

I just got a Sinclair B/R shooting rest and Protektor heavy sand filled bags today. Maybe now I can get that elusive sub 1/2" with my Cooper. I must be getting old, because, handheld at 100 yards, I couldn't get consistent sets of 3. No excuse now when I get to use them. 
Just realize the target suppled with the Cooper rifle was shot at 50 yds through a conduit. It will be very hard to match the test target with the real world at 100 yds. That is not to say that they are not great shooters. They are the best of any rifles I have ever owned. They are like Lays chips. You just can't stop at one.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic