OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Question about warne base/rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zarathustra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about warne base/rings
    Posted: October/16/2009 at 20:52
Hi Guys,

I installed Warne bases on a Savage short action.  I have low Warne rings and a Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x38mm scope.

When I try to mount the scope to the gun, the scope is just barely long enough to get the rings fully onto the scope bases.  If the scope was just a little longer, it would have been easy.  But still I think it would work.

But, even though I can get the rings completely onto the bases, I can only get one of the rings to engage with the recoil key.  For the other ring, I just don't have enough room on the scope tube to get the ring to engage where the cross slot in the base is.

So I removed the recoil key from one of the rings and mounted it that way.  The rear-most ring is engaged with the recoil key while the front-most ring is mounted onto the scope base with no recoil key.

Is this ok?  Or do I need to rethink this setup?

For what it's worth, this is a Savage 220f 20 gauge dedicated slug gun (built on Savage short action).

Thanks,
Dennis
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 21:00
 I'm surprised that question isn't posed here more often. I've been wondering lately if that isn't a viable solution for some mounting problems. I think it should be just fine as long as you had both clamps good and snug. One recoil key should be more than enough for anything out there, and I think the rear one (as you have yours) is the preferrred one to use if one needs to be removed, although it really shouldn't matter.
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 20:52
It should be fine, but if you don't want to keep the Conquest PM me!

Texas
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 20:57
You could always just buy a picitinny base and have all kinds of foreward and rearward movement.  Warne makes them, or TPS or EGW are the most affordable two.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2009 at 21:49
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

You could always just buy a picitinny base and have all kinds of foreward and rearward movement.  Warne makes them, or TPS or EGW are the most affordable two.  
 That's usually a very workable solution, and certainly one of the strongest and most versatile. The thing is though, that they aren't really very well suited to many older and classic rifles.
Also a lot of guys don't like the fact that they inhibit ease of access to the loading port on many types of firearms.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic