OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Q about eye relief - I'm 6'8" w/ a long neck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q about eye relief - I'm 6'8" w/ a long neck
    Posted: October/16/2009 at 17:38
As noted in the subject, I'm 6'8" tall with a pretty long neck.  I generally use a slip-on recoil pad whcih adds an inch to the length of pull, but I still think it's probably not enough to make it fit me.

I just bought a Tikka T3 in 7mm mag, and am looking for a scope for it.  How much should I be concerned with eye relief, and is the eye relief listed on a scope's statistics generally pretty accurate?

I'm fairly new to hunting and shooting, and I have caught a tasco between eyes twice on my older rifle - a .30-06 semi-auto.  Fairly recently, I had a Leupold VX-III put on that rifle and haven't had any problems with eye relief.

It's not something that I really think about when I shoot, but I guess I'm a little worried that the bigger kick from my bolt action 7mm mag may give me more trouble with the eye relief.

I'm considering a Kahles CL 3-10x40 or 4-12x50, one of the Swarovski Americans, or a Nikon.  I really like the "deals" available on the Kahles, and I've read they are rated (if that's the right word) at 3.6" of eye relief.  The Nikon website says it has 4" of eye relief.

Should eye relief be a significant consideration for me, (and if so would the Kahles work), or should I worry more about having the stock lengthened to fit me, etc?

Thanks in advance
Nate
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 18:54
If you have already been bitten by the scope, than eye relief is definitely a consideration.

You should probably check out Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 and Sightron S2 Big Sky while you are at it.

However, for a guy your size, it may be worthshile to approach the problem from a different angle: proper stock fit.  There are some stock out there with considerable adjustment built in.  Alternatively, you could have a gunsmith fit a stock to your frame.

With a properly fitted stock, eye relief will be less of a concern.

ILya
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 19:05
I think you are smart to be concerned about eye relief, but you should first get the stock lengthened to fit you. (You're a monster!) If you have big hands or your  fingers are also very long, you may want to get the pistol grip filled out as well, to get the pad of your index finger properly located on the trigger. Once stock fit is correct, most good modern scopes won't cause problems on a 7 mm magnum, if mounted properly. The gunsmith should be able to help get it mounted right for you.
 Good luck!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 19:08
 Dang you Koskin!
Beat by a minute!
 (At least you had more manners than to call him a Monster....)
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 20:23
Yeah Ronk, I was thinking if he was 6'8" with a short or no neck I am heading the other way!!!!

No offense mean Larry.  I am 6'2" with ape arms 38.5" reach and have Length of Pull issues also.  Having a gunsmith determine your LOP and getting a stock to fit you should really be your first step, then worry about optics.  You will find that a properly fitting stock will feel natural and go miles toward consistancy and accuracy.  Good luck.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Larry5000 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 01:09
'preciate this yall

I do need to get an extension.
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 10:08
I bought a 300 Wby Mark V really cheap because the previous owner sawed of the stock to a way short configuration. Everyone that tried to shoot the rifle came away with blood coming out of their forehead or nose bridge. I re-stocked it and never was bit by it with a Leupold scope in place. Now my 340 wby was different, the Leupold just gave you a little more time to see it coming. Anyway a 7 MM Rem mag usually is not a bad kicker as far as scope bite, a good pad will make it pleasant to shoot as long as the length of pull is O.K.
What I did find out with the 340 is a pad can compress and give you scope bite so the Kick-Eeze pad worked there where a Decellerator just collapsed and you got bit.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 16:38
You probably need about a 15" length of pull.........I'm 6' 00" with a long neck and in a T shirt I measured at 14 3/4 ".....which was a tad bit too long with a winter coat on .....14 1/4" is fine with a coat.............Bucky      Yes, your problem is: you need to GET AWAY from the scope............Wink

Edited by Ed Connelly - October/17/2009 at 16:39
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 18:47

1/8" spacers can be gotten for the T3 from the factory, or are easily made from spacer material from Brownells. They can be added or removed without taking the recoil pad off..

Larry5000 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2009 at 23:22
Thanks yall - I appreciate all the responses!

I haven't been able to find anything on the internet about ordering spacers from Tikka, does anyone know how I can contact Tikka?  Maybe call Beretta as their distributor?

Even with an extension, I suppose eye relief is still important for me, right?  What should I look for in terms of eye relief - I see that the Kahles' specs say 3.6, is that likely to be enough, or should I look for a little more?  I suppose more is better in some ways, right or is it not that simple?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 07:28
Usually a big Beretta dealer has an inside track to the good stuff, TRG access etc.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 08:57
As a Tikka owner (and 6"5'), I can say the options are limited.

First and foremost, take the rings that shipped with the Tikka and throw them in the garbage.  Sure, some will tell you how great the rings are and that I am wrong - then they'll admit that they shoot .223s and .17s and their rings have always done fine.

Toss the rings and order Talley light-weight rings.

As fpr the LOP issue, a slip-on is the only real economical choice.  New stocks can be had for Tikkas, but they ain't cheap, and the "bang-for-$" ratio drops off pretty fast.

Get  a scope with around 4 inches of eye releif.  The 7mm has a bit of kick, DO NOT get anything with less than 3.5-inches of eye releif.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Larry5000 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 15:20

Thanks yall - I'm starting to lean toward one of the Nikon Monarch which offers 4 inches of eye relief.  I have a slip-on pad that I had been using for my .30-06 and I might try to get a few spacers combine them with the slip-on pad to make it fit as well as I can.

Thanks again, I appreciate everyone's responses.  I am new to this forum but have enjoyed reading and learning. 

Nate
feersum dreadnaught View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feersum dreadnaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 10:04
I'm also 6'8" - 16" LOP on my sporting clays shotgun, so I know how you feel.

Slip on pads work for a while.  I've found myself adding extensions on everything I like to shoot a lot.

Two pricey, but good options for a Tikka custom stock:

Tom Manners - wonderful product across a variety of stock types:

Roedale Precision - Accuracy International chassis clone for a Tikka:

fear god and dreadnaught
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 14:06
Another option may be a Knoxx axiom stock with the adjustable length of pull and the recoil reduction. I have one on a Howa 308 and it works good.

Duce Smile
Duce
Larry5000 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 22:09
Thanks yall!

I think I'm going with stock extensions for now - I'll see how it goes, I suppose.  I ordered the Kahles CL!
NV Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NV Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 11:49
The new Leica riflescopes have 4 inches of eye relief through the entire power range... they are coming out with a 2.5-10x and a 3.5-14x.  Both are 42mm objectives.  They also have tons of straight tube in front and back of the adjustments, so they are easy to mount.  I'm looking forward to seeing one!  NV Hunter  
Larry5000 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 16:46

Well, I just got the Kahles in the mail today...but not getting hit in the forehead by a scope would be worth a significant amount of money and could help me justify the extra money for a Lecia...

As an aside...The first time I had ever gone deer hunting, I was alone in a deer stand right and hadn't seen anything until just before sunset.   Two does walked out at about 75 years, and I was excited.  I was fortunate enough to drop one in its tracks, and now I could hardly contain myself I was so excited!  My first ever deer!  I sat for a few minutes to catch my breath and calm down a bit, and as I sat, I felt something running down my nose.
Sure enough, I felt my nose and saw blood in my hand, and only then did I realize the scope had caught me between the eyes...again, I'm alone in the stand and I have no idea how badly I'm bleeding.  Well, I figure I better use my cell phone to take a picture of myself and assess the damage -- pretty hilarious photo.  In all the excitement, it's actually the only photo I took in the field - I forgot to take a picture of my deer...
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 17:09
Hmmmmm,. maybe you should just take up the bow!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2009 at 18:42
What kind of water are you dudes drinkin'??   [  6 FOOT 8 !!!   Shocked  ]  

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic