OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need thoughts from

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotdog308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need thoughts from
    Posted: October/16/2009 at 14:26
users of the Bushnell 4200 8 x 32 vs.  the Nikon 8 x 32 monarch. 
Which has better optics? 
Money is not the issue,  just the direct comparison.
How useful is the BDC on the Nikon, or is it in the way? 
Used for PD / coyote varmint hunting only. 
Range will always be limited to 350 yds.
Use limited to shooting positions 80% and some carrying 20%.

Thanks for any replies!

rotdog308
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 14:41
If money is not issue, Sightron S3 8-32x56 is appreciable better than both of the scopes you are looking at.

Between Elite 4200 and Monarch, generally I prefer the Elite 4200.  However, with the 8-32x models, Monarch is a better choice.  It is a bit better optically at high magnifications (keep in mind that this is for 8-32x models only).

ILya
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 14:46
severe barrel mirage sets in with scopes above 25x after only a few rounds, to say nothing of land mirage, while 350 yds is about the normal distance for pd hunting, sight picture loss can be a real problem. What kind of gun/caliber you talkin??
rotdog308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotdog308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 15:19
Just throwing two more into the mix.  Same criteria, and same magnifications.
Pentax Lightseeker 8.5 x 32 and Burris Signature Select 8 x 32.

I hunted pd for years in CO, , but moved around the country.  Ended up in OK.  PD a few hours away, so am picking it back up.  Used to hunt w/ a 3 x 9 Weaver mounted on a Ruger m-77 tang.  Now using a 700 5r in .223. 

Like you mentioned mirage can be a problem at higher mag.  But, my eyes need help now at sighting/ working up loads, etc.  I will probable hunt using about < 20 x. 

Any thoughts?

rotdog308

Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 07:49
    I've spent a fair amount of time behind a couple of Burris Signature 8-32's. They're not bad, but not in the same league optically as the Monarch 8-32.  The Bushnell 4200 8-32's are a disappointment when compared to their excellent 4200 series 6-24's.

If a 30mm scope isn't a deal breaker, I'd go with the Sightron SIII 8-32 and never look back. If you want to stay with a smaller, lighter 1" tube scope, the Sightron Big Sky 6-24's are excellent as are the SII series 6-24's. Sightron is also offering a $50 rebate on all Big Sky scopes through December.

Once you get past the 24's and into the 32's for power range, the field gets weeded out pretty quickly........ optically. Big Grin

Barrel mirage is pretty much a non-issue. Wink   -Al
"Marsupials scare me".
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 08:44
I was telling myself that just Fri morning about daybreak when shooting some loads thru a new 204, Dale that barrel mirage your seeing in that NF 8x32 just isn't there.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 12:03
Originally posted by rotdog308 rotdog308 wrote:

Now using a 700 5r in .223.

Off your topic, but how does your 5r in .223 shoot? Are they as good as the 5r in .308?
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 20:48
   Dale, the solution is as close as a ripped up of hunk of paper and a couple of pieces of tape.  Wink

Good shootin'. Smile   -Al
"Marsupials scare me".
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 22:20
Not talking stool shootin here Al-- this is Utah high country desert on a cold morning no bench rest, only a bipod if your lucky no  wind breaks--- heated air in the long tube is not a problem.  Besides the taped on paper would ruin my camo paint job, and probably last about 1 min. under hunting conditions. Just forgot my Night Force mirage tube is all, at least they think its a problem.
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2009 at 07:14
    Dale: no mirage shields on any of my hunting rigs, either.....though I'm not adverse to slapping one on when doing some load work at the bench. Those light barrels get hot in a hurry. Nothing like a 300WSM to warm up a sporter contour barrel.

Good shootin' and huntin'.   -Al
"Marsupials scare me".
rotdog308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotdog308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 07:22
I am working up some loads now.  Took it pd hunting last week.  Performed fine. I have tried several loads and it seems to shoot them all consistently well.  It seems the H335, 26 gr.,  will be the load with a 55 gr. Speer SP bullet.  Small groups when I do my part.  I need a good scope for the working up loads, and be be to crank down for the pd hunting.  

rotdog308
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 09:24
   rotdog308: Let's back up a bit and regroup. Smile  Here's a few questions that will be helpful in your search:
  - 1" or 30mm maintube....or does it make a difference to you?
  - Upper end power....is 24X enough or is 32X what's you you'd rather have?
  - Weight range
  - Basic price range you'd like to stay in

Good shootin'.  -Al

Edited by Al Nyhus - October/19/2009 at 09:24
"Marsupials scare me".
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 14:41
Seen people smacking 3 inch and 4 inch circles over and over again at 500 yards with 16x scopes, I don't think the 32x is necessary for 400 yards and less.

It drives the price up and wouldn't be worth it unless you was shooting 600 yard and 1000 yard benchrest/F-class.
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 15:20
Seen people smacking 3 inch and 4 inch circles over and over again at 500 yards with 16x scopes, I don't think the 32x is necessary for 400 yards and less
At shooting ranges???
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2009 at 15:30
Shooting prone at a rifle range in East Miramar.  Guys who would come in after Marines would do rifle qualifications.  Granted it's not shooting prarie dogs or coyotes in modified field positions but I'm thinking a less steady position would make increased magnification even more troublesome.  Maybe I'm wrong...

It definitely wasn't me doing the shooting...I believe it was the instructors for San Diego Sheriff Department and other Law Enforcement who also do other training at East Miramar.  We would build and stage ordnance over there so I would get to come through on a more regular basis and visit PMI friends after range times.
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
rotdog308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotdog308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 11:47
Great responses.

I am set up for 1", but could go for a 30mm if I thought it necessary.  At this time I see minimum advantage.  I do not want the 32x, but my eyes demand it so to speak.  The higher powers are for range work.  Field of view is to narrow, from my experience, for pd shooting at below 500 yards, over about a 20x.  I almost never attempt those shots.
Mirage is a factor also.  

I filled my quota for many years with a Weaver 3x9 on a .30-06,  so lower powers have their place.  I have also hunted pd w/ a 36x fixed on a .223 and .243, but only because there was no choice at the moment.  Not doing it again.  

If anyone wonders about BSA brand, I can help solve the puzzle.  They are junk.  Tried several, sent several back.  Finally realized the only one making out on the deal was the postal carrier.  Last one was just like the first....junk.  But, I tried to violate/ ignore what everyone knows to be true.......You get what you pay for.

Thanks!

rotdog308

PS  I have a  1976 Winchester 45-60.  http://s602.photobucket.com/albums/tt107/cet1921/? newest=1

I am selling this but am not aware of the best place to begin the precess.  Any suggestions?

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2009 at 22:16
45-60 is that like a reduced loaded 45-70?   LOL!!!   Sorry I just had to!    
She looks sweet.  .45 cal 405gr bullets over 70grs of black powder hence .45-70
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic