OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Model 70 upgrades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 70 upgrades
    Posted: October/16/2009 at 12:07
Hey all.
I recently bought a Winchester Model 70 .30-06, and would like to get into precision hunting and deer hunting.  I was wondering what kind of upgrades would be appropriate to improve the accuracy of this rifle.

Right now I am thinking about buying the following items:
Harris (S) bipod
Bushnell Trophy DOA 600 4-12X40MM scope
Timney adjustable trigger.

I have already bought the following items just for target shooting:
Rifle rest
Rear sand bag

And suggestions to what I am purchasing or any other upgrades that I would need?

I would like to be able to shoot out to at least 600 yards.

Thank you
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 12:18

A thousand rounds of ammo to shoot at targets out to 600 yards before you can ethically even think of hunting deer at that distance.

Other than tons of practice, a good shooting sling and a good rangefinder should round you out pretty well as far as equipment goes.
 I think the thousand rounds of practice ammo might get you to upgrading your scope, though.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 12:50
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I think the thousand rounds of practice ammo might get you to upgrading your scope, though.

I bet he doesn't get anywhere near a thousand before he upgrades. Wink
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
zac_ereman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 13:02
I wouldn't try shooting any animal from that distance unless I knew that I could drop it.  At that distance, I would manily be target shooting.  But, thank you for your advice.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 13:06
Sounds like a reasonable plan.

If you are new to shooting I would probably go with a different scope and stay away from complicated reticles.

What is your budget for a scope?

ILya
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 13:14
Originally posted by zac_ereman zac_ereman wrote:

I wouldn't try shooting any animal from that distance unless I knew that I could drop it.  At that distance, I would manily be target shooting.  But, thank you for your advice.

That's just exactly my point- you'll need to do a lot of 600-yard target shooting before you'll be able to know that you can consistently hit a deer in the lungs at that distance. I give this same advice every time I hear anyone talking about quarter-mile plus deer "hunting", and it always sounds condescending or preachy, which isn't my intention..  But I don't care as long as you eventually come to realize what it entails before gut-shooting half a dozen deer.
 Friendly advice, glad you are taking it as such, and good luck to you in your quest.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 13:40

I know I can't reach 1000 yards with what I have right now.  I only have a 3-9X40.  Thats why I started this thread.  I need to know what I should get.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 13:46
I am not new to shooting, just shooting with this weapon and scopes.  I can hit 300 yards with iron sights on an M16 in the Army.  I have looked at a couple of scopes and I like the DOA from Bushnell and the ?BDC? from Nikon.  I watched a great video on the latter scope.  It was amazing that you zero to one distance and you can hit up to 500 yards without any problems.

As far as my budget goes:  I am currently deployed to Afghanistan (deployment money is great), so I would probably drop about 1K on it.

I do like the Nikon 2.5-10x44 Tactical Mil-Dot too, but it comes with a nice pricetag as well.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 13:55

I forgot to post this link to the scope I talked about:

Edited by koshkin - October/16/2009 at 14:02
"Of all the things i've lost, I miss my mind the most"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2009 at 14:08
As a courtesy to our hosts, SWFA, we try to not post links to their competitors (please see forum usage rules).

I am perhaps alone on this, but holdover reticles in second focal plane scopes only work well and easily in marketing videos.

As far as reaching 1000 yards.  I do not think the scope magnification is the limiting factor.  People shoot out to 1000 yards with 10x scopes all the time.

As it happens, 3-9x40 is a good configuration to start with, but I would go with a better scope than Trophy if you can afford it.

Something along the lines of Bushnell Elite 4200, Sightron S2 Big Sky, Vortex Viper or Weaver Grand Slam would fit the bill perfectly:

Any one of these is a major step up from the Trophy scope.

ILya

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 10:34
What do you guys think about triggers? 
Which one should I go for?
The Jewell, Timney, Rifle Basix?
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 10:40
If your budget allows for the Jewell go for it. If not do the Timney. It is easy to install yourself and easier on the bank account. I have on on my model 70 and love it..
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 10:50
Scope: Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x50
Trigger: depends on YOUR requirements... Jewell is the "top of the line", Timney has never let ME down, nor anyone I know who uses them.  The best gunsmith I ever knew would only use Timney...
LOTS of ammo and targets.  Forget about any long range hunting until you have fired at least a couple THOUSAND rounds at varying ranges between 600yds and your "max" range and proven to yourself that you can actually make a long range shot.  Shot in wind whenever you can and find someone who knows something about LR shooting to help you in the process.   Then, learn to get as close as you can before making a shot.  You realistically will probably never NEED to make a game kill over 400-450 yards.  There ARE opportunities for longer range, but they can usually be overcome with better hunting skills...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 11:15
Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 11:42
Kickboxer is right on the money... You need to shoot lots of ammo at REALLY LONG ranges.. Even then I doubt you will ever have to make many hunting shots that are that long.. I know there are people out there that can and do make those kind of shots and I hold nothing against them but for the vast majority of us (and I include myself in this category) I wouldn't even consider anything over 600yds. And while 300 or 400 yds may not seem far under controlled range conditions even shots in this range are really and truly long range shots in the field. Especially if the target is something like a small deer or antelope that you intend to take ethically and do not have the advantage of a steady rest in a box blind or elevated "treehouse" stand.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zac_ereman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 11:43
Thanks.
I have looked into the Timney and will more than likey buy it, but I have read that you have to make modifications to the rifle.  Is this true or does Timney have a "drop-in" trigger that requires no modifications?

Also, I wouldn't shoot an animal from over 500 yards, just going for targets at that and longer ranges.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 11:47
Not sure about the newer M70 but on my New Haven action the pin that holds the bolt release had to be trimmed and/or replaced (I chose to trim mine). I had to do some stock work as well but that was due to the fact that I have an HSP Aluminum Block stock. Not sure about the factory stock.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 11:59
Timney's are supposed to be "drop in", but I have not run across one yet that did not require some work for installation.  It is generally just a little filing, had to reconstruct a spring once, had to do some reshaping on a stock once, but it is minor stuff... just tedious. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 16:32
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2009 at 16:34
I have an old Model 70 and I like the regular old Winchester trigger.   Bucky

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic